A Meeting With the Pernians

I wish I could say that the first thing I noticed when entering the meeting room was our guests. I mean, they were supposed to be humans and I hadn't laid my eyes on one for the better part of a year now... but no. It was not our visitors but the venue that made me stop in the entrance way for half a beat before continuing on.

Last time I was here it was a fairly simple place with a sturdy and functional table and chairs. All very workable and efficient, if not extravagant. Well, that was no longer the case. I knew they had replaced the table, I saw the thing in the work shop being made! But this was far more than I would have expected.

The table was big enough to fit three chairs at one end and ten more lengthwise. It was carved from the rich wood that grew deeper into the forest and was polished to perfection, the chairs like wise treated. I had thought they were going to make them out of solid wood, but I guess the kobolds informed the goblins that not everyone's back sides were made of iron and padding might be appreciated. Now every chair had green padded seats and backs.

But it wasn't just the fancier table that had thrown me. The whole room had been given a make over with stunning sheer curtains over the long windows, wood decals all over... holly crap were those candle lit chandeliers? All this place needed were some massive paintings of men on horses or Greek goddesses to make it look like a freaking palace!

Oh, man. Better keep that thought to myself, lest I give my adoring subjects weird ideas... I already had beautiful- but rather obnoxious- stained glass windows covered in images of myself, the last thing I wanted was paintings. People were going to think I was full of myself pretty soon.

Sighing, I faced forward as Draxly led me farther into the room. There were at least fifteen people here yet it still did not feel crowded. Unfortunately something else caught my eye.

Oh no. They didn't...

Draxly almost had to pull me along now, as he lead me toward the far end of the room, where, at the head of the table, set up on a raised platform, was a pretty little throne. They made me a dang throne.

I felt myself blush, but tried my best to contain the irritation and embarrassment. We had company after all, and I could hardly complain in front of them. This was a political situation darn it! 

Besides, I was sure that the monsters would end up winning in the end anyway and the throne would stay. I am such a push over...

So. I let Draxly hold my hand as my fifteen year old looking self- still dressed like a doll in a white and copper dress that fell to my knees in the front and almost to the floor in the back- ascended the few short steps and sat on my freaking throne like it was what I did every single day of the week.

It was then that I focused my attention to where it should have been in the first place: the humans.

First thing I noticed was that they were not all human. The group was easy to pick out given they were well armored and had three beefy hobgoblins standing around the chairs they had been seated at. But the one that caught my eye first had been the elf. Not so much because she was an elf, but because of the deep red cloths she wore. She also had strikingly red eyes that were a surprise. But I guess I shouldn't hold what earth had told me an elf was supposed to look like as straight facts here. 

I mean, I am pretty sure the hobgoblins were proof of that. Any story I read on earth about goblins they look pretty much how I found them before we were allies. Now they looked wildly different.

The next person to catch my eye was the wolf lady. For a split second I had thought she was a monster like the foxie. But there was no way a group of humans and demi-humans would have a monster in their party from what I had heard of the world. Then I saw that there were subtle differences between them, making me sure that she was, indeed, a wolf beastmen, rather than a monster.