Ogres in the Night

The Harpies had put us up in a well kept building near the center of the city, close where the summit would be held. It wasn't as comfortable as the estate, but it beat the pile of furs I had slept on when I had first arrived in this world. My room was large enough, but empty of much of anything other than the bed and a stone table that looked like it had been carved out of solid rock. 

It now held a few other things, namely a sizable trunk with cloths for myself, a rug on the floor that I hadn't even known had been packed, and a large stuffed floor pillow. The pillow had been intended for Kishi to rest on, as the fox was glued tighter to me than even Lagdon, who, even now, sat outside my door, protecting his god.

But, Kishi was not on the pillow at the moment. No, the large fox was on my bed, where I was resting at her side. This bed was no where near as large as the one back home, so the fox was partially on the floor. If that bugged her any, she wasn't saying. Currently she was snoring faintly while I leaned against her chest, reading by the light of a candle mounted to the wall.

When Yevette learned that I did not require sleep, she had offered to lend me a few books that she had. Harpies rarely recorded their tales in writing, but there were a few scattered copies made of old, harpy myths and legends, passed down through the years and now scrawled out on a lambskin like material bound between a pair of thin but sturdy pieces of wood.

I found the folk tales amusing and informative about the harpies way of life. Most of the stories were framed as lessons portrayed through humorous anecdotes and catchy poems that had me smirking, or even chuckling every dozen minutes or so. 

Harpies had a very optimistic view on life that I found reassuring, especially coming from monsters who, until the harpies, I had seen as mainly very serious and fatalistic in their views on life. There had been a few exceptions, like Brixie's steadfast determination, Nord's hope in the future of his student, and Margund's unfathomable, and often bemusing personality. But a great many were like Lagdon: determined, steadfast, and a little bullheaded. Though a sense of loyalty seemed to run deep in them all.

I was about to close my book, thinking this was as good an opportunity to go make sure Aeros wasn't making a mess of my brain, when the ruble of voices had me freezing, hand half way stretched out, in the processes of setting down the book. The sound was not lost on Kishi either, who's ears twitched followed by her head lifting up, blocking my view of the door for a moment.

My vigilant companion let out a soft, but rather menacing growl.

I highly doubted I was in any danger. I mean, if something did manage to get through both Lagdon and Kishi, I would be able to handle them myself. But there were a great deal of innocent monsters around at the moment, and I didn't want them caught up in anything either.

"Hmm." I tossed the covers off myself and threw my legs over the side of the bed. Noticing that I was getting up, Kishi swiftly followed suit, her hind legs on the stone floors and her fore paws still on the bed, head hovering some place over my shoulder. "It doesn't sound like the party is still in swing."

"No, my Lady. There is arguing in the hall." Kishi stated, as I reached out and snatched a fur lined robe (copper in color... of course.) and pulled it over my short, white, night dress. "I hear Lagdon and Draxly... Yevette too, I believe. But there are also voices I do not recognize, with rumbling accents."

Rumbling accents? Given there was only one group late to the show, it was my best guess that the ogres had finally arrived. Though, why they would be outside my door, I had no idea. Also, what was Draxly doing out there? It was his and Brillum's night off. 

Lagdon should have been resting as well. But, telling that hobgoblin to take a nap was like asking Aeros to put on a frilly dress. 

I calmly walked to the door, preparing myself to see the so called, terrifying, ogres for the first time. Kishi followed, needing only two steps to my six. She didn't bother to tell me to leave it to the others as she once might have. My monster friends were still over protective, but they were starting to accept that I could, at least, decide what was and was not too much for me to handle. Mostly.