A Summons?

In the two weeks after Braid and his party left the estate, I decided to buckle down and concentrate on getting back up to form. Training with Lagdon showed me just how vulnerable I actually was in my shrunken state, and it made me uncomfortable. Sure, I had unending body guards, but I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if one of them died just because I was not willing to put in the effort to look after myself.

Besides, it was winter and there fore it was as good as time as any to store up power. The land was in its winter sleep, so the mana I would normally have sent out to boost the earth's fertilization, or bump up the breeding rates of animals and monsters was currently being funneled into my monster friends. And thought it was true that I felt that was a very worth while thing to invest it, it wasn't completely necessary.

They were always telling me I was strange for being so generous with the mana, rather than hoarding it for myself. So, I figured they would have no complaints if I got myself back up to fighting form. Well, maybe not 'fighting form', but at least out of a dang training bra.

So, I was now back to being 'me' again. It felt good to not look like a child anymore.

Currently escorted by Lagdon and Kishi, I decided to have a look at the temporary kobold town. Though, it was more like a temporary 'everything' town now, given that just about every race wanted to live here. I really didn't mind. it was nice, having everyone near. 

As we walked past the simple wooden cabins the goblins had constructed, I smiled. They were all fairly small and uniform in design, all built on crisscrossing wooden foundations. Come spring I am told that they will start work on more permanent buildings. There were even plans in the works for shops, I had been told.

I was really looking forward to there being a bustling town less than a half an hour from my home!

And, if the talks with Pern went well, and their king believed the report Braid was taking to him, we may even find a branch of the adventurers guild here. It would bring humans, and humans brought trade, and trade meant that we were becoming a true nation! We wouldn't just be a vast, unmanageable forest of scattered villages.

If I could have a guild here, then it would mean that, at least one human nation, recognized my monsters as 'people', not just savage nuisances in need of eradication. It was a small, but necessary step to me and mine living a long and comfortable life.

"What's Nord doing here?" I heard Lagdon asked, curiously, breaking me from my musings.

I blinked in the light glaring off the small snow banks along side the dirt roads. Sure enough, there was Nord. But he wasn't alone, either. Both the older hobgoblin and the even older (?) foxie, Brax, were seated on a porch outside the cottage, looking thick as thieves.

I had, honestly, never once suspected the two would be friends. But they were currently seated, dressed in fur-lined cloths, and smoking pipes, chatting with amused looks on their faces.

"Lady Enna! A pleasure to see you!" Smiled the older hobgoblin, pipe clenched in his teeth and four fingered hand stroking his short, white, beard. "Surveying your subjects today?"

I sighed, rolling my eyes with an affectionate smile. "You all are not my subjects... I'm not a monarch you know?"

"Ah, well, your devotees then?"

"We are taking a look around the town, yes." I sighed. "Since when have you two been so chummy?"

"Neh!" Brax huffed around his own pipe, the smoke and the white curls of his breath in the frozen air mixing together. "When you get old enough, you tend to not worry about the small details."