Seeing off the Adventurer's Party

I was back in my room, fluffy fox laying on my bed and me and the cat out on the belcony. I wanted some fresh air and had slipped into a fur lined cover. When in my normal body, temperature hardly effected me at all, but right now I found the winter quite chilly.

Afternoon had come and gone, and Trixie was off getting me my evening meal. 

Was I hiding in my room? Maybe. But I felt a little awkward around the adventurers, for some reason. I could only assume it was due to having no interactions beyond monsters for so long. It was very strange, setting my eyes on humans once again. Even the elf was a little startling, despite having lots of interactions with Reihekiu.

Did I just view the cantankerous, older half elf as a monster after all? Was I being rude in my head?

The wolf Beastmen was a little easier to get my head around, but even the slight differences between her and the foxes felt a little jarring. Like her human like eyes, and the lack of animal like claws.

It was rude to ignore my guests. And probably rather mean to leave them at the mercy of a mass of monsters...

"Quit thinking so hard about it." Huffed the sarcastic cat, licking a paw. I often found it funny when he acted like an actual cat. "Do you think those humans would be any less stressed to be in the presence of a god, rather than the mere mortals that are monsters? Tch."

I laughed awkwardly. "True..." I said, having not thought of that. I guess I would feel way more intimidated in the presence of a god than my enemy. "But its not like I am an all powerful being or something. I'm just a land god, right?"

The cat glared at me. I never mentioned it out loud before, but I found Mittens pretty refreshing. He was the only one who really said what was on his mind, no filter to what he thought would or would not offend or hurt me, as the others here did. I loved my monsters, but they did not treat me as an equal most of the time.

"I am often reminded just how dumb you are." Stated the cat, no inflection present. Like it was just fact.

Kishi growled from the bed. "Watch your tone, Cat."

Mittens ignored the guardian, as per usual. "There is no just when it comes to being a god. Perhaps, a land god, is not a all encompassing as a true god... but how likely is the average person- what ever their race- to come across one of the true gods?"

"Never?" I hazarded a guess.

"Quite. Some may even claim that the true gods do not even exist."

"Then they would be fools." Sighed Kishi, setting her head down, as if taking a nap. I knew she wouldn't. Despite my assurances, most people still saw the little cat as a potential threat to my life. But there was no way Mittens could do a damn thing unless I allowed it.

"Either way, at least there is a slight, almost impossible chance, a person could come in contact with a land god. Hence they fear and revere them more."

"What do you mean?" I asked, with an eye roll, adjusting my shall so I was covered better against the frigid wind. It was late and cold, so I had told the others to inform the adventurers that they should at least spend the night before leaving, though I would not hold them here if they really wanted to go. Apparently they had taken me up on the offer. "People see me multipole times, every day."

Mittens put the black paw down, narrowed his violet eyes on me, and said slowly, as if I were a moron. "That is not normal. You are absurd."

Ouch.

The cat sighed, then sauntered along the rail to sit nearer to me. It was a familiarity that he rarely showed. "Even among the gods that tend to interfere with the lives of those residing in their lands, most only appear very occasionally. Perhaps at a yearly festival, or at times of great peril. No god in their right mind wants to live amongst these weak and misguided fools, eating with them and caring about what they may or may not do. They are fodder for the god and the land, not pets!"