The Fox Princess

"It just doesn't seem right..." I said, uncomfortably. "Kishi, you are not a horse!"

The fox guardian sighed, and she and Lagdon shared an amused glance. "Enna, I already said I was fine with this. I insisted, as a matter of fact."

She had said that, multipole times. But I just couldn't get over the fact that seeing the beautiful fox with a saddle- admittedly a very lovely one- as being wrong. Kishi was a person, not a pack mule. She was not a beast of burden. Riding on her back from time to time was one thing, but an actual saddle?

Currently there was quite a lot of activity going on. We were all getting set to leave for the summit. There were twenty Rohgek riders, eight-teen of them massive hobgoblins and two the most intense looking goblane I had seen. Clearly it was a show meant to impress and intimidate the other races.

I would have objected, but I had decided long ago to let the monsters handle their own politics as best as I could. Its not like were were dealing with a foreign nation of humans this time, just other monsters. And Margund and the others still had a lot more experience in this than I. But I was looking forward to being a part of all this, at least.

"Deal with it Girly." Laughed Reihekiu as she and Nord approached. Neither was joining us, as both were needed here, especially with Lagdon and I leaving. I trusted both to look after things while I was gone.

"People have already started calling you the Fox Princess, you know? It would look right if you show up riding on such an impressive specimen such as Kishi: the grandest of fox monsters."

"What!?" I exclaimed, having never once heard that absurd title.

"Your flattery is appreciated, but it will not get you overly far with me, hobgoblin." Kishi sated.

Nord chuckled. As he and the halfling woman reached us, he held up a thick cloak. "Wear this. Trixie and the seamstresses worked hard on it, and dyed it just the right color."

I aloud the older hobgoblin to tie the thick pelt and fur cloak over my shoulders. It was gorgeous! Thick fur that I recognized instantly as Kishi's was dyed my now signature copper color and brushed out to a glossy finish along the seams. The main make of the cloak was a thick pelt lined in a delicate copper silk like material, also copper in color and stitched with golden flowers.

"It's beautiful!" I breathed, loving my newest gift, petting the fur as if it really were Kishi herself.

"I will be sure to convey your gratitude then." Smiled Nord, tugging the hood up over my head where it partially covered my eyes for a moment.

"Hey!" I laughed, reaching up to fix it. My hands brushed against an odd shape so I fingered the stiff leather covered in yet more fur. "Ears!" I laughed happily, enchanted with the stylized fox ears added to the hood. I loved it, but was also pretty sure that people would truly be calling me obnoxious names like 'Fox Princess' while I wore it.

Oh well. I wasn't about to snub such a great gift for such a silly reason. Especially since I really did like this gift.

"Well, don't you look lovely?" I heard the voice of Margund announce. Most of the current hobgoblin guard were his men. the population of my estate was growing, but I was uncomfortable with too many of the ones trained to fight leaving it unguarded. Most of our most recent population boost was, after all, noncombatant kobolds. So, a few of Lagdon's best joined Margund's personal guards, but that was mostly it.

We had fox escorts as well, but they were mostly sticking close to Brixie. This would be the young foxie's first official summit as the new elder of the fox village. Brax had wanted to go, but Brixie put her foot down and told him to just sit at home and smoke his pipe like the good retired fox that he was.