5 - Security

Time is passing by, and the memory of that night with the attacker is slowly covered with other memories

Hyunjin and his girlfriend are a perfect couple, so good looking they can melt ice with their visuals. He's planning to make it official, and basically break heart to millions of his and her fans.

He arrives at a location where she's shooting a new movie. With a face mask and a bucket hat on, he's a bit too covered, so a girl at a reception desk calls her just to confirm she's really expecting a visitor. The girl giggles once she sees Hyunjin's name on ID, and hands out the room key.

The room is sunny and bright. He unloads his stuff, and opens windows to breathe the fresh air. Sun on his face and gentle sea breeze... he wishes music videos are also filmed in a location like this one. Soon, he can see his girl walking to the hotel to meet him, closely followed by security.

When she opens the door, they connect into a hug followed by a tender kiss.

- You're finally here.

The rest of the day, they talk about everyday things, nothing deep, until Hyunjin says:

- So, what do you think? Should we announce that we're dating through a video call, or did you want for our managers to do it....?

She puts hand on his hand, modestly looks down, and starts talking in a quiet voice:

- There's something I want to say first...

- Okay...?

- Well... I don't think I can handle this pressure of being your official girlfriend. You see, I'm constantly surrounded with thirst messages about you. Everywhere I go, people drool over you, on whatever social media I go, on tv, at concerts, even with people I work with! They know we're close, and they literally want to get to know me just so they can get closer to you.

- Ok. So, we'll be more careful.
We won't make it official.

- We don't have to. It will leak out even if we try to keep it a secret.
I already got a few calls from Dispatch. I bet even a reception girl at this hotel is now calling them to offer an exclusive news for a little bit of money.

- I don't think she—

- The other day, I got a disgusting message from your fan in my inbox.
I went from a nation's sweetheart to the most hated person in the country, and all I did was talking with you during that award ceremony.

- Did you tell your security about that?

- I did. They gave me an extra guard since then.

- Well, it's a celebrity life...

- No, I was a celebrity before I started seeing you. This is different.

- I mean, what do you want me to do?

- It is what it is.
It's just... I think we can't be together.
We should break up.

Hyunjin looks at her pretty profile.
He looks for a while, and then says:

- I see.
Can I just have a cigarette before I go?

- You know I don't smoke.

- Tell me... is there someone else in your life?

- What? I'm sorry, what?
You accuse me of cheating you?

- It's just that you don't smoke.

She processes that statement very carefully. Her eyes look at a side of a room, eyebrows furrowed.

- What does smoking have to do...?

- Someone in your room has been smoking and leaving cigarette buds in a cup, over there, at a window corner.

- So what? Maybe it's from a previous guest.

- Maybe.
But your kiss tasted like cigarets too.

- You're crazy...

- You could have been honest with me, you know.

- I am! You are the only guy I -

- ... and a girl at the reception desk told me that the guest closet was cleared out for me. Someone else was keeping clothes in here.

Her silence is a loud response.

- It's the security guy, isn't it?

The truth is that her security guard was there when nights were lonely, when she needed someone to practice script lines with her, or when she was insecure about her looks.
Someone who'd tell her she's beautiful even with that extra pound she's trying to lose, someone who'd dry her tears away when she didn't get a role she wanted.

But most of all, she needs someone who adores her. In his eyes she is the most beautiful girl in a world. Not some girl who was lucky enough to steal nation's beloved prince.
She needs to be a prize award in a relationship, not someone's average-looking accessory.

And somehow, Hyunjin makes her feel like she's the one he just settled down for. Not the one he'd die for.

- Jinnie, we're not good together.
You have to at least admit that.
Maybe there is someone else in your life too, someone you'd die for.
It's just that... I'm not that one.

Hyunjin thought about her words for long time, on a ride back to Seoul.
She was right. His feelings for her were friendship, care, comfort..., not passion or desire.

But what if the one he'd die for doesn't want to be his?
Should he take a risk of getting his heart crushed?
Or, is it better not to know, and just love from a safe distance?

*****