9 - Weakness

Update 14 March 2024: Please know I never want for Hyunjin to follow a solo career

Please know I never want for Hyunjin to follow a solo career. This story has absolutely nothing to do with reality, of course. He belongs only with SKZ.
If you want, I'll even remove the story from wattpad. Thank you lovies, for reading this.

———————

Still angry at the way everything ended, but also worried about the way night went out of a control, Chan is walking through the airport aggrivated.

He's always been a perfect example of control and discipline. He didn't make this far by coincidence. The path to success is made of discipline, hard work, and giving up on all the things you want to do.

Everyone always talks about things you have to do to succeed. But nobody talks about things you don't get to do, things you willingly skip and avoid over and over and over again.
Like drinking. Or hooking up with someone. Or waking up in someone else's bed.
And just like that, he did all three things in one night because of Hyunjin.

When they get to the lounge, Hyunjin pulls out a pillow from his bag, and leans in a reclined seat to take a nap. He didn't get much sleep last night.

Chan looks at his sleepy face, and silently screams inside. He is ready to volunteer going on a hiatus now.
Hyunjin was right to find a nice girl, to be a normal guy with a normal relationship. Even if it wasn't a true love, even if it was just a convenient arrangement, it was still a relationship.

- Hyunjin, wake up.

- Mhmm... no...

- Please.

Hyunjin is about to say no again when he recognizes Chan's voice. Things start coming back.. ooh yeah.. he remembers.
He turns his head to face Chan and opens one eye.

- What?

- I'm an idiot.

- Okay...? - Hyunjin's face is still half way sinked in a pillow and only one eye cooperates with Chan's energy.

- I came to your room to straighten things up, and then I do all that... fuck.. I have to stay 10 feet away from you at all times because apparently I'm an idiot.

- It was good, Chan...

- It was fucking amazing!
It was unfuckingbelievable!
But if anyone finds out....

- No one will find out.
I don't have any regrets.

- No, no, no! You do. Tell me you hate me. - Chan pleads because he doesn't trust himself any more.

- I don't hate you.

- Yes, you do!
Damn it.
I..... think you're amazing. Just perfect. Ok?
But I am bad for you. I will ruin things for you.
You are now bigger than the band. The management is about to offer you to go solo. You have this insane potential, and the company thinks it's better to have two products rather than just one. You can achieve so much if you take that offer.
I don't want to ruin that for you. And I'm afraid I would, if anyone suspects anything. Or, if you hold back from such offer because of me.

- Yeah, to be honest, they already mentioned something. They asked me if I'd meet with some people to learn more about solo work.

- At the end, it will be up to you. They can't force you into it. You'll just have to tell them what you want.

- Just that, huh?

- Yeah.

Changbin calls Chan for some issue about luggage, and he leaves.
Hyunjin is left alone, staring at a floor.

Thousand different thoughts swirl in his head together with still fresh memories of last night.

There are 3 unread messages on his phone. One message catches his attention:
"It's confirmed. We're preparing everything to present you as a solo artist. Boss is reviewing the contract, come to the office after the airport."

This is the worst possible moment for such news.

The manager had suggested to him to go solo last year. It seemed like a ridiculous idea at first. But then he made some good points, and suddenly Hyunjin started dreaming about things he could do on his own. He wanted to explore fashion world, he wanted to do acting, he was eager to collaborate with other designers, dancers... None of that was possible being in a band.
So, he didn't say no.

And then... Chan happened.
He doesn't really want to be away from him. Last night was like taking a breath after coming out of water. It filled up his soul.

By the looks of how the night evolved, it seems Chan feels the same.
In some secretly sadistic way, Hyunjin feels good about it. He likes that he can drive him crazy. The one who is always calm, the one that everybody listens and obeys - can't say no to him.
Whenever they're alone, Chan puts his guard down, and stops his obsessive need to control everything.

Hyunjin is his weak spot.
His one and only weakness.

And he really, really loves that.

*****