The Accident

Written: November 28, 2023

In the flurry of a heated argument, North Korea's voice echoed against the walls of the speeding car. Tension crackled like a whip in the air, thick with the explosions of released emotions. His words clashed with Russia's, each cutting deeper than the last.

"Russia, why are you like this?" North Korea's voice carried a venomous edge of frustration.

"I can't believe you're so stubborn!" Russia's retort was sharp, filled with exasperation.

The car hurtled through the fog of the night, the lights of the city blending into the dark, indigo sky. Shadows danced across the two nation's strained faces. The exchange reached its crescendo, a cacophony of unresolved grievances spewing back and forth.

Then, a sudden jolt. A sickening screech of metal meeting metal, followed by a deafening silence that shattered their world.

_______________________________________

Sunlight filtered through the branches, casting dappled shadows on the crumpled car. North Korea's head throbbed with a dull ache as he blinked away the remnants of unconsciousness. His gaze darted around, taking in the surreal tableau-the car's twisted frame, shattered glass glinting like scattered diamonds, and pure silence, save for the birds chirping their morning serenade.

He winced, attempting to move, but a sharp pain shot through his side, rendering him immobile. Panic surged within him, his mind replaying fragments of the argument, mingling with the hollow sound of the crash.

"Russia?" His voice emerged as a hoarse whisper, his heart pounding against his chest. Yet, there was no response, only the unsettling stillness that hung heavy in the air. North Korea fought against the pain, adjusted his eyepatch, and strained to peer through the shattered windshield. He turned to his left. North Korea's breath hitched at the sight-Russia's unmoving figure slumped against the crumpled dashboard, her silhouette cast in an eerie stillness.

Russia's russet coat was flung over her, her snowy hair with blood-red tips spread like a web over the dashboard. North Korea's breath caught in his throat, his pulse quickening at the sight of Russia's motionless form. Panic surged through him as he struggled against the pain, his nails clawing at the seatbelt with trembling hands. With a sharp click, the restraint gave way, freeing him to move.

North Korea leaned over, his body protesting every movement, but he was desperate to be by Russia's side. His heart was pounding with a mixture of hope and dread. His trembling fingers reached out, brushing against her blood-streaked cheek.

"Russia, wake up." He pleaded, his voice tinging with desperation, hoping against hope for any sign of life. Russia stirred.

"Huh?" North Korea's breath hitched at the sound of Russia's groggy voice. For a fleeting moment, relief washed over him, but it was quickly replaced by a rush of confusion, disbelief, and a sliver of hope.

"You're awake?" North Korea's voice cracked with a mix of disbelief and relief as he turned towards Russia, his eye wide with a mixture of emotions. Russia blinked, her gaze unfocused, as if struggling to piece together the fragments of her consciousness. She winced, a hand instinctively moving to her head before her eyes widened in realization.

"The argument...the car..." Her voice trailed off as the memories flooded back, her expression changing from one of confusion to alarm. "Are you okay?"

North Korea's relief swelled, overshadowing the pain that enveloped them. He managed a faint nod. "I'm fine. Can you move?"

"Da, I believe so." Russia sat up, unbuckling the seatbelt. North Korea and her got out of the wrecked car and met by the tree it crashed into. The air was heavy with the scent of crushed foliage and gasoline as North Korea and Russia stumbled away from the wreckage. The mangled car stood, its twisted frame a stark opposite against the tranquility of the surrounding forest.