Back to Normal

Written: December 23, 2023

North Korea walked home by himself. He stared at the asphalt as he navigated his bay back home. The sun was shining brightly, but it was comfortably cool outside. The soft blades of overgrown emerald grass swayed in the soft breeze. The poplar trees released their fluffy fairy-like seeds all around the neighborhood, like snowfall in the middle of the summer.

He approached his own home, where he lived with his siblings, South Korea and Japan. He knocked on the door of the minka, and was greeted by South, who was dressed to go out. As the sliding door creaked open, the twins stared at each other.

"I was just going to go pick you up, North." South Korea stated. There was an awkward silence between the two, before Japan walked over.

"South, let North in. He could get allergies because of all these poplar seeds." Japan grabbed onto North Korea's upper arm and pulled him inside. "North, why did you walk home by yourself?" Japan asked in a tone that was gentle yet stern.

"Why shouldn't I?" North Korea shrugged in response. Japan took North Korea's coat and hung it in the closet. North Korea went to go wash his hands, then joined his siblings in the kitchen.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" South Korea asked his brother sweetly. North Korea looked back at South, annoyance tinging in his tone. Nevertheless, North's response was genuine.

"Yeah, South, why wouldn't I be?" He started. "I didn't break anything, did I? Well, except for the car." At this, Japan snickered.

"Japan, no." North growled.

"Alright, alright," Japan rolled her eyes, then placed a few plates on the table at the tatami. The siblings all lived in Japan's minka, so there weren't many Korean elements to be found. Unless one looked in North's or South's room, everything was Japanese.

The siblings sat down at the tatami. Japan poured them all a cup of green tea, clouding the room in a bit of steam for a few seconds. North took a sip. The translucently bitter flavor of hot green tea hit his tongue. It's been a while since they had a family dinner together.

"Misoshiru?" South guessed what they were eating. He looked into the bowl. It was, indeed, misoshiru. Bits of tofu and scallions floated around the broth. Miso paste and vegetables colored it an ocher yellow.

"Yes, misoshiru." Japan nodded, picking up the bowl. North and South did the same. They held the bowls close to their mouths. For a second, the siblings glanced at each other, daring each other to go first. With a silent count of three, the siblings placed the bowls to their lips and sipped the soup. 

The typical umami flavor of Japanese cuisine was present in the broth as it easily slid down their throats. The deep, savory flavor beckoned them to sip slowly and enjoy the richness of the soup. It tasted like many things: Toasty, umami, and an indescribable flavor that all Japanese cuisine contained. The saltiness of the miso paste mixed with the sweetness of the koji blended harmoniously...unlike the siblings' relationships.

After sipping a bit of the soup, North placed the bowl down to drink the tea, which was now cooling. Dinner was silent as it should be. After about 10 minutes, the bowls were emptied, tea was being passed around, and laughter echoed through the house.

"Guys, I have to confess something." Japan offered the Korea twins a cheeky smirk. "I got this soup from the Family Mart~" North Korea pressed his lips to a flat line.

"Bro." South started, pushing the bowl away. "I swear, I've never met anyone as obsessed with kobinis like you are!" Japan chuckled in amusement. 

"Wait," North Korea thought. "Japan isn't one to laugh over such small comments." North Korea thought over what could've come over his sister, but was snapped back to reality when she called out his name.