Epilogue: More Than a Dream

"Appreciate everything in life." North advised Okinawa. "Don't strive to make everything perfect, because there is no such thing." Okinawa nodded intently, stroking Habu Babu's head, who was coiled around her arm.

"But why?" She questioned.

"Because everyone makes mistakes. It's part of being human." North answered. He pondered about his response for a moment, and recalled his dream. He turned to Okinawa and said: "You know, not too long ago, I was unhappy with everything. I didn't like the way people around me were. In fact, the car accident happened because I was angry at Russia for being...you know, uncoordinated."

"Oh, okay." Okinawa replied. "But how did being half-dead help?" North Korea sighed.

"I had that dream, and in that dream, everyone was the way I wanted them to be. South was calmer and didn't have mood swings; Russia knew what to say and didn't trip over invisible things; Japan was more expressive; and you...well, you didn't ask too many questions."

"How is that a bad thing?" Okinawa tilted her head, confused on how a perfect world was a bad dream.

"At one point in the dream, I had a huge argument with South and Japan because I was still the same way I was while they were perfect in real life and in my dream." North recounted the events. "I was very angry, but realized that no one was meant to be perfect."

"How did you realize that?" Okinawa pet Habu Babu, as if she was talking to the snake rather than her brother.

"Whenever I was upset, I saw glitches, and whenever I got angry, it was because of someone." North Korea paused and thought more deeply about the dream. "Once you all died in the dream, I was scared, and wished I didn't hurt you guys the way I did." He wrapped his arm around Okianwa's shoulder and said: "You never realize how precious something is until you lose it." He gave Okinawa a squeeze, causing the girl to giggle.

"That must've been a scary dream." Okinawa commented. Habu Babu hissed softly as if to agree. Okinawa attacked North with a hug, Habu Babu slithering to his ledge so he wouldn't be trapped in the interaction.

Don't repress the seekers of knowledge. They help you understand yourself.

_______

Later in the day, North was consoling South over one of his outbursts. He had a hand on his shoulder and stayed silent. South was convulsed in tears, as if he would fall apart at the slightest push. North stayed by his side, having no idea what the cause of the mood swing was, but willing to help anyway.

"I-I was listening to–listening to music and–and the song sounded old and–and I thought of Mom—" South was cut off by his tears, sobbing. North found his brother's reasoning dreadfully mundane and couldn't relate to it.

"You are horrifyingly sensitive, but it's okay." North reassured. "Sad memories happen, I guess." He pursed his lips and kept consoling his brother. "What song were you listening to?"

"I-It was a Spotify recommendation." South responded. "It's called 'Tears in Heaven' by Eric Clapton." He clung onto North. "I miss Mom." He admitted in a soft voice, quivering. North placed a protective arm around South.

"We all miss her, South." He sighed. "It's hard to move on." North Korea felt the sting of tears in his eyes, an ache catching in his throat as he tried to suppress them. South then felt a tear drop onto his head. The twins grieved together over the death of their mother.

"It's okay to feel weak sometimes." South whispered. "There's always that one thing that breaks the hardest of hearts." The brothers were in each other's arms, tears drying. "We should start a group crying session." South jolted up, every sign of sadness replaced with excitement and curiosity—another swing. "I know some countries that might join!" North felt a small grin grace his face.