Shattered Glass

Written: January 12, 2024
In the next few weeks, North continued to see glitches. Everything always seemed to shift positions. He could still see with his empty eye socket, which troubled him deeply. He kept pushing the hallucinations down as insomnia, hoping it was true.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" Japan exclaimed as North walked into the living room.

North gave a nod in response, trying to ignore the unsettling glitches he still witnessed around him.

"Did you take your medicine?" Japan asked, noticing North's reluctance.

North hesitated for a moment before admitting, "No, I don't like taking it."

Japan sighed, a hint of frustration in her voice. "You need to grow up, North. Your health is at stake here, and you're not doing yourself any favors by ignoring it."

"I'll be fine," North mumbled, avoiding Japan's gaze.

"This isn't something to be casual about," Japan insisted, her tone firm. "You need to take care of yourself, especially with these hallucinations you're experiencing. It's not just about you anymore."

North remained silent, his discomfort evident. The tension hung heavy in the air, emphasizing the growing strain in their relationship.

"I'm okay, really." North Korea mumbled again.

"You always had a screw loose, North," Japan sighed as she grabbed a bottle of pills, approaching North. "but this time, it's going to be the death of you." She leapt at him, cornering the country. Japan clutched the pill bottle, her intentions clear.

"I care, North," Japan sighed, her tone softening as she gently reached for North's hand, the bottle of pills held loosely between her fingers. "I know you don't like taking them, but it's for your well-being. Please, just this once?" She offered the bottle to him, her eyes pleading with genuine concern.

North Korea huffed. "You said that every day last month." He crossed his arms in refusal, the carpet beneath him distorting, looking like a kaleidoscope. His frustration was palpable, his hallucinations worsening.

"Please, North," Japan pleaded, her voice tinged with worry. "I know it's been tough, but I'm genuinely concerned about you. Just a pill, for me?" She held the bottle closer, her expression pleading for North to reconsider.

North grumbled and accepted the pills. Japan, offering a small smile as gratitude, got him some tea to swallow the pills with.

As North swallowed the pills with the help of Japan's calming demeanor, the door burst open with a flurry of commotion. South barged in, Oki sitting on his shoulders, both laughing uncontrollably. They were tangled in an impromptu game, spinning and chasing each other around the room, completely heedless of the tension hanging in the air.

"Whoa, slow down, you two!" Japan snapped, her tone sharper than usual. "This isn't a playground. You're gonna distract North and he'll choke!"

South halted, his face turning sheepish as Oki climbed off his shoulders, giggling. "Sorry, sorry! We got a bit carried away, didn't we, Oki?"

"Yeah, we did!" Oki grinned, twirling around before noticing North's gaze. She sobered up and waved shyly.

North, caught between exasperation and amusement, rolled his eyes at the chaotic scene unfolding before him.

"Anyway," South said. "we finished making breakfast."

"Hah. How many fire extinguishers did you use?" Japan scoffed. South Korea shoved his sister.

"It was that ONE TIME, like, three months ago." He exclaimed. Okinawa sped to North, trapping him in a hug.

Okinawa clung to North, peppering him with rapid-fire questions. "North, did you sleep well? Why do you have that grumpy face? Can I braid your hair? It's so short though. What's your favorite color? Oh right, your favorite color is Communism. Is it true that you can see glitches?"