The Date

January 16, 2024
North Korea woke up the next morning with a relaxed expression. He'd finally been able to open up about the things that upset him to his siblings. Everyone was a bit more understanding of each other and made sure the other was doing okay. But as many normal sibling relationships will have it, this phase will only last up to a week before the friendly familial bullying would make a comeback. Better enjoy it while it lasts. North Korea checked the notebook he kept by his nightstand. According to his agenda, he had a date with Russia today.

"3pm–Hiking in Silentfalls Forest"

North Korea closed his notebook, checking the clock. 8 am sharp. He woke up on time and had eight hours to do everything he needed to get done and prepare for the hike. North Korea walked to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Japan and South Korea were leaning on either corner of the bathroom walls, counting down the time until they could rinse their mouths and go downstairs. Okinawa stood by the sink on a stepstool, copying her siblings.

After Japan taught Okinawa her intense skincare routine (with the twins aggressively taking turns wiping their faces with a funky smelling washcloth) the siblings went downstairs. On the menu was bread made from ube and turmeric, sided with carrots, tomatoes, goya, miso soup and fruit. Okinawa quickly inhaled the meal. She loved the colorful plate in front of her. From the regally purple ube bread to the vibrant yellow of the miso.

"Japan, North!" Okinawa exclaimed. "The bread is the same color as your eyes!" Japan smirked and side eyed North, who sighed in exasperation. The joke was going to be outrageous.

"Of course, Oki! What do you think we did with North's missing eye?" South nearly choked on his vegetables as he heard the joke. Okinawa cackled like a jackal, while North sat unimpressed. The three laughed for a bit while North finished his breakfast and washed the dishes.

"Jokes on you all, Mom would call me a good boy for finishing my food quietly." Without another word, North Korea retreated to his room to get changed. He mumbled to himself as he picked through the clothes in his closet. "Should probably throw this in the laundry..." He tossed his usual gray top and black pants in the basket near his desk.

South Korea walked into the room and snuck up behind North. "Need some help? I remember you have a date." He offered. North nodded. South Korea journeyed through North's closet. It was full of dark colored tops and black khakis on one side, with standard professional wear and military uniforms on the other.

"Yikes." South hissed. "This isn't hiking material at all." South Korea took North's hand and led him to the former's room. North felt the rough, sandpapery bandage rub against his hand; A reminder of his emotional issues. He made sure to maintain a gentle grip on his brother's hand so not to hurt him. South Korea went through his closet. He pulled out a green long-sleeved shirt and hoodie along with some matching construction pants.

"I can't picture you wearing this, so put it on." He shoved the outfit into North's hands. North Korea nodded as thanks and went to his room to put the outfit together. He went to the bathroom to check his outfit in the mirror.

"Just give me a bowl cut and I'll be South." He said to himself. He pulled up the sleeve of the hoodie and tightened a belt around the pants. "A tad large, but I'll manage." He walked into the living room, where Japan was leaving for a job interview.

"Ah, North." She said. "I'll be out all day. Can you and South watch Oki?" North Korea nodded. There still was time before he had to head out for the trail.

"Sure thing."

"Thank you." Japan left the house. South Korea joined his brother downstairs, dressed in a suit. Okinawa was lying on her stomach, kicking her legs while humming as she read a book from the Predator Face-Off series.