Not Worth Crying Over

Image maLFUNCTION

Image maLFUNCTION

D:<

Written: January 14, 2024
Previously:

"I'm not him..." Tears blurred his eyes as he tried to reassure himself. "I'm not my father." He kept repeating as if it would take back everything that he did. The weight in his chest grew, dispersing throughout his body. His legs felt like lead. North Korea crumpled to the ground, a trail of blood behind him. He let his envy and anger take him over.

All because of the whispers in the halls that day. He felt intense guilt. "I don't want to be like him." He choked out. "B-But I am him already. Worse than him."

Like the glass cup North threw, his stoic walls shattered, leaving him on his knees on the sidewalk, crying like he never did before.

North Korea was crumpled on the grainy sidewalk, hands hiding his face as he cried out in a mixture of guilt and unreleased emotion. The trail of blood behind him was like breadcrumbs. Yet, the ache in his feet from the glass was nothing compared to the remorse of being his father's parallel. North was blinded by his tears. The winter sun was hiding behind the clouds, plunging the land into a chill. North was a mess: His white socks were bloody, his face was wet, and his clothes were disheveled.

Thoughts raced through his mind: Okinawa' shock, South's anger, and Japan's disappointment. The hidden sun offered no warmth, the swaying grass whispered in the breeze as if to say "What have you done?" North felt a shadow over him. He looked up from his hands to see a concerned China.

"Rocket Man?" She knelt down. "What's wrong?" North Korea forbade any more tears to fall in the presence of his cousin. He stared with a glassy eye.

"I hurt them all." He quivered. "I-i didn't mean to-" Before he could finish, North began crying again. China pursed her lips and picked North up.

"Get on your feet." She ordered. "I know whatever you're crying about is not worth your tears." She helped her cousin up. China looked North in the eye. "The only time you're allowed to cry is when Okinawa dies." North Korea quickly nodded, wiping away his tears.

China looked the country up and down. She froze when she noticed the blood-stained socks. "You better have a good explanation for this mess." She said sternly. "And it better not be anything stupid like 'I was swinging around the ceiling lamp and fell with it' ya hear me?"

Gathering his courage, North mustered the words for his explanation. "I got into a fight with Japan and South," he admitted, avoiding direct eye contact with China. "Things got out of hand, and I ended up hurting them. It's all my fault."

China's stern expression softened for a moment as she sighed. "You know better than this, Rocket Man. Family is important. What happened?"

North hesitated, battling the guilt and shame that threatened to suffocate him. "I... I couldn't handle the whispers and comparisons. Envy took over, and I lashed out. Now I've hurt the ones I care about the most."