Camille IX

Deleterious – causing harm or damage

0o0

"Get in the car." I told Dylan . "You get in first and put his legs on your lap." Gunshots rang behind, one hit the side of the car. Sami got in first, starting the engine. Matthew covered us as best he could.

Attached to Jason's arm were multiple belts wrapped tightly so it dug slightly into his skin around his upper arm, leather or wood used to imitate an elbow, a forearm, and a hand. The fingers didn't move, but they were stiff. As soon as my door closed, Matthew sat at the front. "Drive!" I shouted at Sami. It was still pitch black, still raining, still storming. There could be someone hiding under the car, but right now I don't care if we run anyone over.

"What about seatbelts?"

"Just go!" Matthew stressed, and Sami quickly put the car into first gear. "DUCK!" Matthew shouted, ducking down and using his hands to cover the back of his head. Something chattered the window, but I just saw one of the Hunters by the window, snatching at Matthew. She wasn't turned.

Trying to not move Jason too much, I reached over and scratched at her hand, pulling it back so maybe it would break. Sami stepped on the pedal, and I felt her body smash against the car as we sped away.

"Good thing we don't need insurance anymore." Dylan commented.

I looked out of the window, guts strung like spaghetti on the floor, flesh flying like splashed water. Barely, I could make out Quill as their throat was ripped from the side of their neck. I fought back the gag and didn't look out of the window until we were deep in the woods.

"Where am I driving?" Sami asked.

Matthew got the map out: we marked where we were before coming back, trapsing around the forest until we saw a sign. Cotman's Ash Inn, not too far off track. "Follow where they've been, we'll be on Pilgrims Way then they'll be signs for the M26."

"Ok, sure." Sami said, but Matthew guided him anyway, through the path with cut trees and squished leaves.

Looking down, Jason was resting peacefully, but I still remember his screams. I was inside with Dylan and Dr Shantel as they removed the infection, shooting through the broken window at whatever ran across it with Jason's gun. As panful as a mother losing her child, as terrifying as the end of the world.

"When will Jason wake up?" Sami glanced at me in the centre mirror.

"When he's ready to, I suppose."

"I don't know where Folkstone is or what part of it I need to stop at."

Sami sounded worried, but Matthew reassured him. "He'll be awake before then."

"He'll be awake in a few minutes." Dylan added. "But he'll be out of it."

"What should I do then?"

"We can sleep in the car when it's too dark, so just keep driving." Dylan told Sami, and Sami listened.

Matthew and I asked what happened while we were away and they told us about the ceremony, the weird purple cloaks. They asked us how we knew we needed to come back and we told them what Alex told us: "Jase had a run-in with Gemstone. He stayed for a day: they were holding an initiation and it weren't for him, was it mate?" there was laughter on the other end, "They lock you in the middle of a room and you have to kill two Rezzers, no weapons, to officially become one of them. And-" Matthew didn't let him finish before he started packing everything up.

We were settling down by the exit we had to come off on the M20 when Jason woke, groaning as he did. He tried bringing his left hand up to wipe his eyes before remembering. His eyes welled with tears, and I stroked his hair.

"Welcome back." I whispered; he almost smiled back.

"You're awake?" Matthew exclaimed, a grin overtaking his tired face. Sami mumbled something in his sleep, tossing in the drivers seat. "Sorry, sorry." Whispered Matthew.

"Good you're up buddy, we were just about to sleep." Dylan lightly pushed Jason's leg.

"I can do with another nap." He mumbled.

Sleeping in a car, while refreshing for an hour or two, is painful after a full(ish) night's rest. Matthew woke me up to keep watch after a few hours I think, then it was Dylan's turn, and back to Matthew. We left Sami and Jason to rest.