Chapter 4

Y/n's POV

It was now night time and I've recovered a bit from what happened earlier. I haven't seen Ruby all day since the last time we spoke. I am dreading running into her again. Maybe I can sneak out without seeing her. 

It's time for me to pack my things and go home now so I gather my scattered documents from my desk and pack them neatly into my briefcase. I grab my laptop and pack that up as well with the charger. I turn off the lights except the lamp I have near the entrance of my office. I walk to the door and grab my coat along with my scarf, putting on my coat then draping my scarf around my neck before sneaking out. When I'm reading I peak through the blinds to see if the coast is clear. I see Ruby's office lights off already so I assume she left early. I sigh in relief and open the door with ease and stepping out then closing the door behind me.

I turn to Claudia and say goodnight to her as she is packing her things up. Right as I turn around to exit I stop suddenly seeing Ruby standing there speaking to one of our employees. My eyes widen as I look around for an escape route but see none. I frantically spin around looking for something to hide myself to try to sneak by but instead I just look like an idiot. 

"What is wrong with you?" I hear a voice say. 

I turn around slowly while pursing my lips. I smile and respond "Nothing"

She looks at me with her eyebrows furrowed, confused as to why I was acting like a maniac a second ago. 

I let out a breathy laugh as I feel uncomfortable under her gaze. I pat my pockets and pull out something from my inner coat pocket.

"A lighter. I was looking for my lighter." I add, holding up my zippo lighter for her to see.

She raises her eyebrows in surprise. "You smoke?" 

"Well not cigarettes. They're just thc cigs. No nicotine or tobacco in them." I explain showing her my pack of thc cigarettes.

She nods while looking down at my hands and looking up at me slowly with a questioning look towards my scarf.

"Alright, well I'm off now. See you tomorrow, L/n" She walks away giving me one last look as she heads out.

I stand there and look down at my feet while shaking my head. 

Ruby's POV

I walked out of the building feeling a chill run through my body from the cold air outside. It was early December so it was starting to get a bit cold in New York. I made a mental note to start wearing an overcoat.  I get into my car and turn it on waiting for it to warm up. While waiting I put the heat on and sit back.

I thought of Y/n and how weird she was acting. It's understandable because of what I walked in on earlier but she was being extra suspicious. Also what's the point of her having a scarf if she just hangs it around her neck? It isn't covering anything, it's just an accessory at this point. 

I want to get to know Y/n but I'm afraid of the end result. I am attracted to her but what if it ends up being another Otis situation. I shake off my thoughts seeing my windows fog a bit.

I feel my car warm enough so I get ready to drive off to my apartment. Driving in the states, especially this busy city, has been a big hassle for me. In Mooordale, we had so many open roads and greenery. Here, everything is grey and there's people everywhere. The drivers here are also real assholes. They bring out an anger in me that I didn't even know I had. And don't even get me started on these bikers. 

---------------------NEXT DAY----------------------------

Y/n's POV

I wake up to the cold breeze sneaking through the open window. I shiver and pull my covers up closer around myself. I furrow my eyebrows with my eyes still closed as I register that I didn't leave my window open. I turn around towards the window in confusion to see it open a quarter of the way. I sit up bringing the covers around me and I look around my room. Next to me the pillow seems to be slept on and there are sounds coming from the kitchen through the crack of my open room door.