Chapter 2

Kate dropped off Ava at her parents' house before heading to the salon. "I'll see you tonight, Ava. You be good for grandma and grandpa."

"I will, mommy

"I will, mommy." Ava promised. Kate crouched down and they hugged. Kate kissed Ava on the cheek. Lisa, Kate's mom, opened the front door. "Grandma." Ava excitedly greeted Lisa.

"Hey, baby. Ready for a day of fun?" Lisa asked. Ava nodded her head.

"Thanks, mom. I can't believe the babysitter bailed at the last second." Kate said.

"It's fine, Kate. I love to spend time with this cute little girl." Lisa said.

"Again, thank you. I really have to go because Cynthia will be on my case about how I'm arriving at the last minute." Kate said as he walked back to her car.

Ten minutes later

Kate walked into the salon. She quickly set up her station and looked around the room. "Don't worry, you're good." Nancy said. "She's not here yet."

"Thank god." Kate let out a sigh of relief. "I had to drop off Ava with my mom. I didn't think I was going to make it."

"So, how was your date?" Nancy changed the topic.

Kate scoffed. "Terrible. This is why I don't like blind dates. They always end in disaster. I'm not dating anyone. Ava keeps me very busy and that's good enough for me."

"Kate, you're too hard on yourself. You cannot watch cartoons for the next seven years of your life with Ava as your only company." Nancy said.

"I have my Netflix and wine in the evenings for a good time. It's not so bad." Kate insisted.

"I know it's been hard since you lost Ben, but you have to keep on living." Nancy said.

"You're right, but after Ben, I can't imagine being with another man. He was just so..."

"Perfect?" Nancy filled in the thought.

"He was so kind and treated me very well. I felt safe and loved when I was with him." Kate reminisced.

"Speaking of another man, have you gotten a glance of the new resident?" Nancy asked.

"What new resident?" Kate asked.

"Come on, don't play dumb. You know exactly who I'm talking about. Mr. Blonde who is so broody and mysterious. He wears flannel shirts and he's got the sexiest slicked hair." Nancy teased.

"Not really. I've been so busy these last few weeks. I didn't pay much attention to any changes happening in our town." Kate said.

"Well, then you're in for a treat if you happen to see him. You think our high school boyfriends were hot back then, but our new resident is like ten times hotter than them." Nancy gushed.

"Okay, now you're definitely exaggerating." Kate laughed.

" Kate laughed