Chapter 8

A few days later

Jax got a call from Robert Murphy during his lunch break that the owners had accepted his offer and he could have all the furniture. Jax told Adam, Allison, Martin, and David that he got the house and they seemed to be more excited than him. Of course Allison tried to put on a brave face, but he knew she wanted him to never leave the B&B. She did wish him a lot of luck and without fail she brought up the topic of him finding a special lady. When Jax told them that he was in Harmony to settle down, they assumed he would be getting married and having kids. At 34, he'd already done this twice. He'd been married twice and had two kids. Now Jax is moving on and he's giving a chance to Nero, Wendy, and his two boys, who survived his destructive ways to live in peace far away from him. Their lives would thrive and they wouldn't have to worry about their safety every time they step out of their house. Buying the house wasn't an accomplishment for Jax to celebrate. This house didn't symbolize for a joyous time in his life. It was quite the opposite. The purchase of this house marks the loneliness he would soon allow to consume him. One bedroom. One life. The bustling sounds of Tara and the boys would not be heard in the house. The silence that had fallen over his life will just have to be accepted.

Jax walked through each room and saw the changes he wanted to make. The projects weren't crucial by any means, they were meant to keep his hands busy. Jax found many projects in just about every room of the house. He needed to be busy, so he could dull the pain and demons in his head when the alcohol couldn't do it.

#

Jax couldn't believe what a cruel joke God did to him. Kate lives across the street from him. He saw the red Toyota Avalon when he officially moved into his new house.

He has been avoiding her for almost three whole months. The moment she grabbed his hand, Jax knew this was a dangerous territory for him. Her touch wasn't supposed to feel nice. Why does she have to be so pretty, sweet, and compassionate? Jax wished that Kate would be like the redhead who tried to hook up with him. Why couldn't she have the personality of a croweater? It would make everything so much easier. Why did Kate have to be so nice?

So far, Jax managed to accomplish this goal. Kate did show up a couple of times at the auto shop when the engine overheated and for oil change. Jax managed to avoid being the mechanic who would be assigned the task of fixing her car. The task usually ended up going to Martin or Kyle. He avoided walking on the sidewalk where the salon is on. He would walk on the sidewalk across the street. Jax did see Kate at Vinnie's with her friends. He made sure to sit far away in the corner where she wouldn't be able to see him.

#

(AN: Listen to this song until the end of the chapter.)