Chapter 19

Jax looked over the shopping list he wrote for his landscaping project. He planned on buying path lights, flowers, folding Adirondack chairs, outdoor string lights, and mulch. He parked his Dodge Ram in Kate's driveway. He didn't see Kate's car so he assumed she must have parked it in the garage. Jax walked to the front door and knocked on it. "Kate, it's Jax. Are you ready to go shopping for the landscaping project?" Two minutes passed and the door remained closed. Jax decided to drive to the salon. Maybe Nancy might know where Kate is.

After Jax parked next to the curb, he opened the door of the salon. Nancy looked up when she heard the bell let out a ding to indicate someone has entered. "Hey, Jax. What brings you in today?" She asked.

"I'm looking for Kate." Jax said.

"She's not in today. She has the day off." Nancy replied.

" Nancy replied

"I know. She's supposed to be helping me today with my renovation project. We were going to shop at Kingsley Mercantile. I noticed her car wasn't in the driveway and I thought she probably parked it in the garage. I knocked on the front door, but she didn't open it. I got worried, so I decided to come here and get a hint about her whereabouts." Jax explained. "You're her best friend, so you must know where she is."

Nancy got quiet for a moment, and then she began to talk. "Did Kate ever tell you about Ben and how he died?" She asked.

Jax nodded his head. "She did. A drunk driver hit his car and he died on impact."

"Today's date is the anniversary of Ben's death. Kate's at the cemetery. She never works on the date of Ben's death." Nancy mentioned. "It's her hardest day to get through out of the entire year. She doesn't work nor talk to anyone. Everyone knows not to disturb her."

"Thanks. I'll find her." Jax said.

"But Jax, she prefers to be alone on that day." Nancy said.

"You're wrong

"You're wrong. She needs me." Jax emphasized.

Nancy gave up the conversation. Jax had already made up his mind. "You don't know where the cemetery is located. Let me give you the address for it."