14. Let Her Go

Tully and Mallory were running late but that was only because Tully ripped her green dress and had to fix it. Everyone was going to be at the petition and she wanted everyone to see her stand beside Aemond, in green. 

"Shit." Mallory whispered. 

"No." Tully agreed. the room was packed. Vaemond spoke, blah, blah, blah, the girls didnt care for what he had to say, they wanted to be seen by Aemond and Criston. Criston was behind Alicent and Aemond was surrounded by his siblings, he stared straight ahead. 

''I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Vaemond went on.

"Come on." Mallory grumbled pulling Tully up closer. Luke smiled back at her. 

"You came."  Luke whispered beaming back at Tully. 

''As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir.'' Rhaenyra spoke up. ''No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition.'' Rhaenyra declared. Tully looked to Alicent as he spoke up but Luke's words clouded Alicents. 

"Thank you for standing with me." Luke added. 

"Oh, yes... of course." Tully agreed. Luke looked over her green dress with distaste though. 

''What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?'' Vaemond countered ''I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours.'' Vaemond turned back to Otto and Alicent. ''My Queen, my Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.''

''Thank you, Ser Vaemond. Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon.'' Otto informed her. Tully looked to Aemond his gaze was on her and she straightened, hoping he would see her green dress among the people. She smiled giving a little wave. Aemond nodded his head ever so slightly, Helaena waved back. Luke followed her gaze bitterly as his mother spoke on his behalf. He couldnt hear what she said past the ringing in his ears. 

The doors swung open and Viserys came in, cane in hand as he took shaky steps forward. 

" King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar,-"

"Titles titles." Mallory murmured nudging Tully. 

" I will sit the throne today." Viserys said moving forward slowly, his breath shaky but he ascended the steps.

"If he can make it." Mallory added. 

"Hush you. Thats Aemonds father." Tully reminded her. 

"My grandsire." Luke added. 

"yes, exactly." Tully agreed. 

'Thats a very green dress." Luke added as Daemon helped viserys up to the throne. 

"Yes, do you like it?" Tully questioned. 

"You look beautiful." Luke agreed. Tully smiled touching the bodice of her dress. "But you would look better in blue." he added softly. Jace rolled his eyes. 

"I must... admit... my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys." Viserys remarked.

Rhaenyra glanced back at Tully and Mallory, Lukes gaze kept shifting to them. Jace kept nudging LUke forward. 

''It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his true born son... Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree."

"What?" Luke spat. Rhaenyra hushed him. Mallory cackled out and Tully elbowed her.

''Well... the matter is settled. Again. I hereby reaffirm Prince Lucerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides." Viserys said with a wheezing breath.

''You break law... and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir. Yet you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon.'' Vaemond shouted in outrage. ''No. I will not allow it.''

"Marriage?" Luke whined to his mother. "To them? No. You can't ruin my life like this." he begged. 

"We will not discuss this here." Rhaenyra corrected as Viserys shouted down at Vaemond.

"We will never discuss it. You already decided." Luke countered. 

"Looks like you dont have to pretend to like the tall girl anymore." Aegon remarked. Aemond rolled his eyes. "That was your ploy right? She's obsessed with you, its weird, who would want you?" 

"She's my friend." Helaena cut in. 

"That explains it." Aegon agreed. "I suppose she's tits and a cunt so thats all that matters in the end." 

"Shes my friend and you wont speak about her like that." Helaena demanded. 

"Or what?" Aegon countered glaring back at her. Helaena silenced. "Thought so."

''Lucerys is my true-born grandson." Viserys said confidently. "And you... are no more than the second son of Driftmark. You... may run your house as you see fit..." Viserys warned ''but you will not decide the future of mine.''

'' My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides." Vaemond hissed ''And gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this...''

''Say it.'' Daemon said softly from behind him. Mallory glanced back at Daemon, he oozed sexy, maybe Daemon would be her next conquest when she grew bored of Criston. Maybe she could have them both. Mallory never cared for the Targaryen gene but Daemon was a different breed of sexy. 

"Her children..." Vaemond shouted ''are bastards! And she...'' he pointed at Rhaenyra ''is... a whore.''

''I... will have your tongue for that.' Viserys told him but Daemon stepped forward slicing his head free from his neck is an elegant swoosh. Tully jumped back, Mallory screamed with disgust as blood sprayed back at them. Luke cowered back glancing to Tully, as she stared wide eyed unable to look away. 

''He can keep his tongue.'' Daemon remarked calmly.

'' Disarm him!'' the guards shouted

''No need.'' Daemon said putting his blade down but Viserys groaned out doubling over.

''Call the maesters!'' 

"Gross!" Mallory declared. 

"Tully?" Luke questioned softly. She blinked slowly glancing to Aemond but he was comforting Helaena like a good brother. 

"I'm fine." Tully assured. "Congratulations, you are still heir to driftmark... and to be married."

"Yeah... thats news to me.'' Luke assured. "Tully I-"

"Come on I have to get this blood off!" Mallory declared pulling Tully away. 

"love you." Luke whispered watching her go. 

"Let her go. We are to be wed soon enough." Jace suggested.