Birds Old and New

Personally, Donnie wasn't really a fan of the Vytal Festival. While he had always enjoyed watching wrestling and boxing matches back home and had tolerated the sparring sessions of Beacon, he felt that the Vytal Tournament was a tad overdoing it. The artificial landscapes and the sheer spectacle of what amounted to boxing with live ammunition bothered him. Not to mention the need to fly up to the coliseum and the fact that the whole platform was suspended in the air by technology he didn't really understand. He could feel the whole structure vibrate underneath him and, from the few times he had been to there on inspections as a part of Schnee business, it gave the constant feeling of needing to vomit. Deep down he did feel a little guilty about not being there to watch them in person. But with his being barred as a fifth participant he didn't see much of a point in suffering.
He thought about all this from the counter of an outdoor drink stand on the festival grounds. He smiled at the young woman behind the counter as she handed him a soda and turned his attention to the screen hanging from the corner of the tent. From the speakers he could hear the cheers of the crowd as the camera panned to show team RWBY and their opponents, a team from Haven academy named ABRN. He tried to tune out the noise as he Professors Port and Oobleck begin explaining the tournament. As he did so he looked at his drink, before Remnant he had never had much besides water and alcohol, the amount of sugar in the soda in front of him always gave him a headache if he had any large amount of it but he did like to treat himself. He was just about to immerse himself in the amber colored drink and watch the match when he heard someone calling his name.
Annoyed at the interruption he turned to find Coco Adel and the rest of team CFVY walking up to him. He raised him arm in greeting, eye being kept on the battle. Already he could hear the blasts from Ember Celica as the camera focused on Yang. She was busy taking shots at a teal haired girl riding a hoverboard. She was standing in an ice field and the explosive shells threw up a mist at every impact.
Not wanting to be rude he turned his attention to team CFVY. Coco arrived ahead of her team and leaned casually on the countertop. With a finger she pulled her sunglasses down her nose and looked over them at Donnie, "What're you doing here? Isn't team RWBY fighting."
He glanced at the screen again, the fight was progressing rapidly, already a member of team ABRN had been eliminated. Looking back he answered, "I hate flying. I love 'em I really do but flying up to a giant flying rock makes my stomach knot up in ways I can't imagine. How about you? Aren't you lot fighting today?"
Coco grinned, "Yeah tonight, plenty of time to hang out with some of my favorite people." This earned a laugh from Donnie, "That so? Didn't realize I was one of your 'favorite people'."
She smirked, "Of course Donnie. You helped Velvet out and you've been pretty cool since then-" again she looked him up and down, "Although I can't say your sense of fashion holds up."
Suddenly feeling indignant he looked at himself. As he had done frequently recently, he had dressed in his uniform tunic and khaki pants. His feet covered in ankle boots and puttees were freshly washed and polished. He looked back at her, "What do you mean by that? I'll have you know this uniform was damn good looking back home." She laughed and held up her hands in mock surrender, "Alright, alright but I would love to take you shopping sometime. Something a bit more... modern. I mean you dress like my grandpa."
    "Y'know I hear that a lot. Either way I suppose I could go for it. Weiss has been on me about getting something new."
    "Really? I knew you two were close."
    Donnie raised an eyebrow at the suggestive tone of her voice. He felt his cheeks heat the slightest bit, "What's that supposed to mean?"
She smirked and pushed her sunglasses back over her eyes, "Oh nothing, just saying when I'm done with you she'll think you're downright dreamy." He glared at her but before he could answer a cacophony of cheers erupted from the television speakers. His head snapped to see the commotion and saw in big letters TEAM RWBY WINS. He felt his heart drop at having missed the match.
"Ah hell, Ruby's gonna kill me for missing that."
"Sorry," Velvet spoke up from behind Coco. Donnie waved the policy away and motioned at the empty stools around him, "Ah what's done is done. Well if you lot are hanging around take a seat, no sense in just standing around is there." They took their seats around him and placed orders of their own. Velvet took the stool to his immediate left and thanked the stall worker as she handed her the drink. "So you really are from another world," She asked in that accent that Donnie could just barely place but couldn't think of where. "Uh huh, why you have any questions? Where? How? Why? That kind of thing," he asked, a little annoyed, these were questions he'd answered a thousand times in the past months.
"You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?"
The question surprised him, though he usually did end up showing off his favorite photos he'd never been asked outright. "I do. Why? Did you want to see them," he answered after a moment's hesitation. When the rabbit faunus nodded he dug his pocket book out and produced the favorites he had been keeping close. She eagerly but gently took and examined them. She surprised him again when, instead of asking about any of the people or places depicted, began to speak about the photographer's skill.
"The framing and composition of these are perfect even without color! Do you know how these were taken?"
"Uh, well I think he had a tripod or something like it."
"Of course! I can never get mine steady," she produced the camera that she always seemed to have attached to her hip and began showing him her own. They all seemed to be members of teams RWBY, JNPR, and her own. Except they were mostly terrible. They were seemingly taken during random daily tasks and many were nearly too blurry to make out the subject. Many more were just of individual body parts, Yatsuhashi's arm, the top of Pyrrha's head, and one was just Sun Wukong's abs.
He nearly balked as a reflex but fought the urge when he felt Coco's elbow jab him in the ribs. "Wow those are really something," He cautioned. Finally he started getting the kinds of questions he had been expecting. About the picture of his family, about the soldiers pictured. In a way he was happy to reminisce and he had no shortage of stories about his family back on the farm or the rest of the regiment in France. He had just finished telling a particular story about his old Sergeant, Upham, hatching a scheme to trade roasted frogs for French wine when team RWBY finally arrived.Team CFVY said their goodbyes and left to go prepare for their match later in the day.
"Did you see us out there!? We kicked their butts," asked Ruby excitedly, she was practically bouncing on the spot. Sheepishly, Donnie replied, "Well I caught some of it. But in my defense I got caught up chatting with Coco and them." Ruby huffed before shrugging at him, "Alright fine, I'll let you off the hook this time." Yang snorted, "Anyway we need your opinion on something. Who do you think should go the Duos round?"
"Oh that's easy. Weiss and Yang," he turned back to finish his drink. Downing it in one gulp he rose from his seat and smiled at the stall worker before turning back to them.
"That was fast," Blake pointed out with a raised eyebrow.
"It's fire and ice y'know. Ruby and you are speed and clones, any combination between you two with Weiss and likewise Yang wouldn't mesh as well. So I went with the classic; fire and ice. That and if all else fails Yang can just get pissed and punch 'em."
"Hey..." Yang attempted to protest the assertion.
"I defy you to tell me where I'm wrong. Not my fault your semblance is so useful."
"Yeah you got me there. So lunch?"
He nodded and they all started towards the closest food stand. That was until Ruby began to pat her own pockets, "Guys my wallet where's my-"
"Looking for this," the question drew their attention to Emerald Sustrai, the green haired girl was holding Ruby's wallet between two fingers as she smiled at them. Ruby quickly snatched it back from her, "Ugh, stupid girl pockets."
    "You know you really should be more careful. Congrats on winning your match guys, you figured out who you're sending to the Duos round?" Ruby drew herself up and puffed out her chest before proclaiming, "As leader I decided-"
    "We put it to a vote," Weiss interrupted.
    "Yes but as team leader I decided we should vote-"
    "It's Weiss and Yang," This time Blake interrupted.
    Ruby pouted at her eliciting a chuckle from Emerald. "How about you guys," Yang asked, "It feels like we never get to see them around." Emerald gave them a sheepish smile and motioned behind her, "Oh yeah my teammates are a little... awkward." Behind her stood her partner, Mercury Black. The grey haired teen was busy inspecting the boots being sold at a nearby stall. Without looking up they watched with some small degree of horror as he leaned in and sniffed the inside of one of them. As they watched he finally noticed their presence and waved.
    "Yeah I can see that."
    "I should really get back to them. Good luck with your match."
    "Hey break a leg out there! If we see you in the arena we won't hold back!"
    "Likewise!" With that, Emerald turned and jogged to catch up with Mercury. As the pair disappeared into the crowd Ruby clapped her hands together, "So, lunch anyone?"
Nearby they found a noodle stand run by an old man. Not knowing what exactly he was ordering Donnie just copied Weiss' order. But before they could dig in the elderly owner snatched the bowls back. Donnie was left blinking at the empty space as he heard Weiss exclaim. "Declined?! But I was barely into my allowance." As the old man behind the counter glared at her they heard a voice from behind them, "Mind if I help?"
All five of them turned to find team JNPR standing behind them. Pyrrha was holding a credit card in her hand. Weiss attempted to turn the offer down but was quickly shut down by Blake who clamped a hand over her mouth. As team JNPR sat down the old man silently redistributed the bowls of noodles.
As his friends dug in he stared at the bowl in front of him. He'd never eaten something quite like it before and he couldn't get the image of a bowl of worms out of his head.
Something about that mental image brought on a memory of home. Of him and his sister digging in the mud back home. They had to have been barely nine or ten then. He watched as Evelyn dug at the earth with a small trowel revealing a slump of worms. He dug his hand in the pile and it came out filled with the wriggling creatures. They giggled at the sight and dug for more. He remembered looking at his parents who were standing nearby. Their mother, Angela, was busy fussing over their dirty clothes. A broad grin on her face as she dusted them off. Their father, George, quietly watched from behind her. A small smile on his thin face as he leaned on his shovel.
Donnie drew himself from his memories and looked around. Setting his bowl aside he contented himself with watching his friends eat. He smiled to himself and leaned against the countertop on his arm. Weiss caught his eye. Setting down the set of chopsticks she had been using she leaned over and spoked quietly.
"Not hungry Donnie?"
He shook his head lazily before responding, "Just thinkin'. Enjoying the view and all."
"It must be a pleasant one."
Without thinking he spoke, "With you? It always is." Weiss broke the ensuing awkward silence by clearing her throat. As she picked up her chopsticks she said, "Flattery will get you nowhere McManus." He smiled at her and leaned a bit closer, "Flattery? Tell me Princess, why would your knight ever need flattery?"
Her shoulders shook as she giggled quietly. Picking up another bunch of noodles she replied, "Hush you dolt." And Donnie obeyed, keeping his mouth closed as his friends finished their meals. As they finished he watched Jaune slump over the counter.
"I think I'm gonna throw up," he moaned while pushing away the stack of empty bowls next to him. Ren nodded, "You did eat a surprising amount."
    "Oh you should point it at the enemy," piped up Nora who was sat beside him. Ren glared at her, "Nora, that's disgusting," he looked at Jaune, this time his expression softening, "But if you get the urge..."
    "Yeah, yeah I got it."
    It was then that the speakers hanging from posts all across the fair ground crackled to life. The crackling was soon replaced by Professor Port's voice, "Would team JNPR please report to the arena for their scheduled fight. Which should have started five minutes ago." In a rush the team leapt from their stools and began dashing to the docks. Team RWBY calling after them to wish them luck.
    Setting the last of their bowls aside, Team RWBY began to split up. Blake and Yang opted to stay and check out some of the stalls while Ruby, Weiss, and Donnie began walking to the docks. The girls had decided to head back to the Amity Coliseum and Donnie, having nothing else to do, decided to walk them to the air ship.
    As they approached the docks Weiss gasped. Stopping, Donnie looked at the docks and found a newly landed bullhead. White streamers were flapping from its rear in the breeze. Something about the ship reminded him of something but he couldn't quite place it. At least not until Weiss began running to its now descending ramp after exclaiming, "Winter!"
    Suddenly it struck him, that was the elder Schnee sister's personal bullhead. Jogging to catch up, he and Ruby arrived at the ship just in time for the ramp to finish its descent. Standing before a contingent of robotic Atlesian soldiers stood the slender figure of Winter Schnee. She was clothed just as he remembered her from his few times meeting her. Clothed in the bright white uniform of an Atlesian specialist she stepped down the ramp. The heels of her boots clicked as she walked, her back straight and hands behind her back. Her long, white hair was tied in its usual manner into a tight bun and the expression on her face was still in its usual stern expression. Behind her the Atlesian Knights' steel feet stomped, rifles held ready against their chests. They stopped as she did at the bottom of the ramp.
Winter sized up her sister quietly. Weiss had to compose herself despite her excitement and gave a curtsy in greeting before speaking, "It is an honor to have you in our company Winter." Beside her Ruby attempted a curtsy and greeting of her own much to the annoyance of her partner, "Oh yes its an... honor to have you in our... court." Donnie himself decided to give a crisp salute and kept quiet.
With an almost instinctual immediacy Winter returned the salute before turning to Ruby. "This must be the team leader you mentioned in your letters. Greetings Ruby Rose."
Again Ruby attempted to form what she thought was a formal response, "It is... grand to make your... acquaintance." Ignoring the struggling team leader she turned to Weiss, "So, tell me, how are you faring at Beacon sister?" Weiss began in earnest, "Oh I'm doing simply wonderfully. I'm top of the class in all subjects and I'm enjoying learning about the Kingdom of Vale. Did you know that their military and government are separate."
Winter interrupted the stream of words by smacking her on the head. "I didn't mean your studies you boob," her features softened the slightest bit, "I mean how are you doing. Have you made any friends, are you eating well? And yes, I am aware of this kingdom's... bureaucracy."
Ruby giggled, "Boob," she said while poking the place where Weiss had been struck. Weiss waved her away and took a deep breath. "Well, there is my team, and Donnie's here," she said while pointing at them. Winter followed the motion of the finger and turned to the pair of them. "Ah yes, Mr. McManus. I see you've maintained some semblance of your military bearing," she appraised his uniform and posture as she spoke.
"And a fine evening to you as well Winter."
She turned to Ruby and gave a curt nod, "Ms. Rose, I thank you for taking an interest in my sister." She began to walk past them now, brushing past Weiss as she began to instruct her, "Now, please show me to your quarters. I wish to inspect them." Falling in behind her Weiss cautioned her, "Of course sister. But I assure you, the bunk beds only look unsafe."
"Bunkbeds?"
Ruby looked at Donnie who shrugged at her. Quietly they fell in behind the two sisters as they crossed the courtyard. The walk was short lived as a horrific metallic screech filled the air behind them. Whipping around revealed a middle aged man. He was dressed in black pants and a tight, white jacket over a dark grey vest. Around the top of this vest, the folded back edges of a dark shirt gave the only indication he was wearing anything beneath the vest. It had been unbuttoned to expose much of his chest and around his neck was, to Donnie's mild interest, a cross on a string necklace. His hair was short and unkempt, his only facial hair was some stubble along his jawline and chin. Donnie got a good look at the stranger's rose colored eyes, and if it weren't for the giant sword on his hip he might have laughed. The man was clearly drunk.
In his hands the stranger was holding the severed head of an Atlesian Knight. The bodies of both the severed head and a second Knight were sprawled at his feet. Winter stopped short, her hand reaching down to grip the sword at her hip.
    "Qrow... are you aware that you've just destroyed Atlas military property?", she narrowed her eyes as she said it. The man laughed and pitched the still sparking hunk of metal over his shoulder, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I had destroyed sentient garbage."
    "What are you doing here?"
    "Came to see what all the hubbub was about, you know you Atlas Specialists all think you're so special."
    "It's in the name."
    The drunk named Qrow placed his hand on the hilt of his sword, a self-confident smirk growing on his face. In a flash, Winter drew her sword. A long, intricately engraved saber; she held it at her side, the tip pointed at the stones of the plaza. Qrow drew his own sword and pointed it at her almost playfully.
Winter responded by plunging her sword into the stones. A large flock icy blue birds emerged from the ground behind her, they launched themselves at Qrow. He raised his sword to cover his face. They evaporated into mist behind him as he lowered the blade and clicked a button on the hilt. At once the sword bent in half at the guard and produced two gun barrels. He squeezed a well hidden trigger fired at Winter who leapt out of the way.
Meanwhile Donnie and Ruby stepped next to Weiss. "What's happening," asked Ruby. Weiss answered without taking her eyes off the fight, "Some maniac just started attacking Winter!"
Ruby tried to get a good look at Qrow, "Oh no that's terrible-" she cut herself off as she realized who he was, "-Oh my Gods that's my uncle! Kick her butt Uncle Qrow!" Weiss looked horrified and furious all at once, "Teach him a lesson Winter," she called out.
Donnie eyed the crowd nervously. Considering he was supposed to be protecting at least one member of the Schnee family and that Qrow had decided on firing in the direction of the crowd he opted to step in. Cursing under his breath he drew his revolver and stepped out of the crowd. Finding a suitable patch of dirt, currently occupied by a a patch of flowers that he had secretly believed to be particularly ugly. Squeezing the trigger he fired  three rounds into the horrific plants.
The crowd turned to stare at him. Qrow and Winter, whose blades had locked together in the middle of the growing crowd, stared as well.
Stepping away from the flowers and into the center of the crowd, he stopped a few feet away from the pair. Holstering his revolver he addressed Winter first, "Thunderin' Jesus Winter what are you doing?!"
"I'm defending myself from this madman."
"You mean the drunk idiot? And besides, you drew your sword first."
"He destroyed Atlesian military property."
Donnie pointed at one of the bodies, "Fuck 'em, I'd destroy the things too if you gave me a chance. And besides, what was your plan? Gut him in broad daylight surrounded by students?" She glared at him but said nothing. Next he turned to Qrow, who was eyeing him. He seemed disappointed somehow. "So you're Ruby's uncle? Would you kindly stop picking fights around here. Or if you do, at least keep from dumping live rounds into a crowd of people." Qrow didn't answer, he only looked beyond him and the cocky grin slowly reemerged.
    "Schnee," came the voice of General Ironwood form behind him. Donnie turned and found the General, Headmaster Ozpin and Professor Goodwitch standing behind him. He was relieved that it seemed that Ironwood and Goodwitch's fury seemed focused more on Winter and Qrow. Ozpin spoke first, "Your defusing skills have certainly improved Mr. McManus. Although I do wish you had shown some mercy to the flowers. Now as for you two..." He turned to the pair, "Why fight here when there's a perfectly legal fight happening in the arena? A word please." The headmaster beckoned them to follow and began strolling back in the direction of his tower. The General and professor following after him.
    A rush of air and rose petals brushed past Donnie as they left. Turning back to Qrow he found Ruby now hanging off his arm. "Uncle Qrow," she yelled excitedly, "Did you miss me?" The drunk laughed and responded, "Nope." Looking at Ozpin's entourage and a still furious Winter.
"I think I'm in trouble."
"You did almost destroy our plaza."
He laughed again and shook her off his arm, tucking his hands into his pockets he sauntered after them. Ruby followed him until stopping next to Donnie, Weiss joining them soon after. He looked at Ruby, "So that was your uncle?" She nodded excitedly, "Yep, he's so cool. And kicked your sister's butt Weiss!"Weiss was indignant, "No he did not! That was a draw at best!" Donnie grinned to himself, this was going to be an interesting festival.