Cat's Outta the Bag

It was part way through the break between semesters and team RWBY stood at the docks in Vale. The day before they had moved back into their dorm. In the distance a large ship was cruising into port.

"So, the question of the hour Weiss," Donnie spoke up from where he was leaning on the railing overlooking the docks. "Just why are we spending this afternoon watching the ships?"
"Why do you want to know?" She replied not looking away from the docking ship. "Well you had me go on the flight down here figured I could use a reminder."
"The Vytal festival is coming up this semester and Vale is hosting the tournament this year and the level of organization that goes into an event like this is simply amazing!" Donnie made a face and waved a hand. "You really know how to suck the enjoyment out of everything." Yang laughed,"It's so she can spy on everyone dude."

Donnie scratched his chin and said matter of factly,"Y'know we used to shoot spies." Ruby made a face,"You haven't had to kill anyone since you got here have you?"
"I have," came the reply sparking the attention of Blake. "And who were they?" "Oh some of those White Fang idiots." Her grip tightened on the railing she was holding the movement not going unnoticed by the soldier. "Oh really," she said in a low tone.
"Yeah," he paused and turned toward her placing a hand on his hip. "I'm on Remnant two months and someone wearing their outfit tries to cut my throat because I was standing near Weiss."

Before she could respond Blake was interrupted by the shouting of two police officers on the dock. The subject of their anger was a monkey faunus dangling upside down from a lamppost.
The faunus flung the peel of the banana he was eating at the officers before sprinting away, taking a moment to wink at the girls as he passed.
"After him!" Weiss cried while picking up the chase. The rest of RWBY followed suit. Chasing him until Weiss toppled over a red haired girl. 

"He got away," she yelled, picking herself up from the ground. "Weiss you've run someone down." Donnie pointed out the girl currently splayed out on the sidewalk. Before he could offer help she jumped to her feet forcing everyone to take a step back. 

"Salutations!" came the greeting in an excited voice accompanied by a wide grin. Donnie gave a small wave and nudged Ruby who was standing behind him to start moving back. Ruby didn't get the hint as she stepped forward and introduced herself. While she was talking Yang tapped him on the shoulder.

When Donnie turned around he noticed that Blake and Weiss had already left and were moving slowly down the street. He jogged to catch up to them and showed up just hear the tail end of an argument about whether or not the faunus they were chasing would be joining the Vale chapter of the White Fang. It was about that moment that it occurred to Donnie that this was an argument that would last a while.

And he was right as the argument didn't come to a head until that night when they had all returned to their dorm. A few hours before Donnie had simply tuned them out opting to look over the few personal items he had not left at his locker. His interest was perked with the slamming of the door. He peeked over his shoulder and took note of the shocked looks on his friends' faces and the apparent disappearance of Blake.

"What did I miss?" His question roused Weiss who had taken on a look of disgust and horror. "She's one of the White Fang." Donnie laughed and shook his head,"That's ridiculous she's not even a-" he trailed off as a memory of Blake's large, ear sized bow surfaced. 

Although Weiss demanded to wait for her return in order to confront Blake he had managed to convince her to sleep promising to mount a hunt for the runaway in the morning. He hoped that she would have returned in the night but his hopes were dashed when her bed was undisturbed the next morning.

In their quest for Blake team RWBY split up, with Weiss and Ruby searching the area of Vale nearest the docks and Yang and Donnie searching the center of town. By late afternoon the pair was tired and still had one more store to check, a tea house that sported an out door balcony where few patrons were seated. The view wasn't desirable at the hour due to the unfortunate glare produced by the setting sun. Donnie entered first and advanced to the cashier. 

The man behind the register was thin and young, it looked like he'd been hardly a day out of high school. His bored face turned toward the two of them as the door clanged shut. When Donnie reached the counter he launched into his questioning. "Has a girl been in here recently? Black hair, may or may not have animal ears." At the mention of the ears the kid behind the counter took on a smirk. "What are ya looking for a faunus for? Is she your girlfriend?"

Donnie scowled "So what if she is, what's it matter to you?" He shifted to the side letting his revolver in its holster come into view. The kid behind the counter's eyes widened and he stepped back. Donnie got some special sort of satisfaction out of that. "Wow dude, uh s-she was here e-earlier with another guy a-a monkey faunus! They said something about the docks!"

Donnie stepped back from the counter and smiled ,"See? It wasn't all that bad kid. Just don't be a wise ass and everything works out."

On the way to door he snagged Yang who was busy questioning patrons. He muttered what the kid had told him in her ear opened the door. The sun had finally finished setting when they made it out the door. Before he could remind himself of where the docks were Donnie was interrupted by the sound of an explosion.

"That came from the docks," Yang shouted before sprinting in towards the commotion leaving the young soldier behind. He couldn't help but wonder what a coincidence it was the docks seemed so popular.

The party was over by the time Donnie and Yang had arrived. The police were also there arresting injured White Fang members and they could hear the approaching sirens of fire trucks coming to clear the burning wreckage of a bullhead. At the sight of this Donnie whistled and scratched his head, nodding toward Weiss, Ruby, and the newly found Blake. The latter's bow was gone revealing a pair of cat ears.

"So you did all this?" He asked looking at the trio. "We had some help," Ruby said while releasing a nervous laugh. He walked over to Blake and placed a hand on her shoulder noticing that she flinched at the action. "Don't worry lass. I got no fight with you just the ones that try and kill me. Just try not to go running off on us again we're still a team here." Blake let out a small smile and seemed to let out a held breath.

"Can we just go back to Beacon now? I'm sorry about all of this." Blake waved her arms to indicate the scene around them. "Yes please! Got me wandering around Vale looking for you." Yang grumbled and started walking away. They laughed and started the walk back to the airport for some well deserved rest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI EVERYONE I'VE RETURNED FROM MY LONG ABSENCE I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THAT BUT I'M FINALLY USING A COMPUTER FOR THIS INSTEAD OF A PHONE!