Of Explosions and Ice

While Donnie and Weiss were walking away towards the congregating mass of people in what seemed to be an auditorium, Donnie took in the view.
He took in the beautiful courtyard and walkway made out of stone tiles.
About halfway down the walkway Weiss stopped and produced her scroll which had a small map of the academy on it.
Donnie took this opportunity to reach into his uniform's right breast pocket and take out a small, white and red package.
Donnie promptly smacked the top part of it against his palm. The top flipped open and produced a cigarette.
He then reached into the same pocket again and produced a mini match package. He took one match out and lit it with a scrape against the lid of the package. He used this lit match to light the cigarette and then promptly shook his hand to put out the match.
Donnie then took a drag of the cigarette and puffed the smoke out of the side of his mouth.
Weiss having smelled the smoke turned and frowned at Donnie.
"Why do you keep smoking those things. They smell awful," she scrunched up her face as she said that.
"It's my own little guilty pleasure."
He chuckled as he said this.
At that time neither of them noticed the smaller red cloaked girl running towards them.
By the time they noticed her she had already run straight into the cart containing all of Weiss's clothes and dust crystals.
There was a loud crash as she slammed into the luggage and scattered it about the area.
"What are doing you dunce!?!" Weiss screamed at her for her clumsiness.
The girl stammered to explain herself under the torrent of insults from Weiss. Donnie realized she must have been scared.
"Do you know what you could ha-."
"Oh come off it Weiss. You're scaring the poor girl!"
He said this while taking the cigarette, that had somehow survived, out of his mouth to grind it out against the lid of a trash can and toss it in.
"Do you know the damage she could have caused."
"Yes I realize this but the dust is safely in the crates, and you're screaming your lungs out at her because she wasn't looking where she was going."
After stating this fact he reached his hand out for the red cloaked girl to shake. Before he could open his mouth to introduce himself to her she let out a large sneeze.
"AACHOO!" It seemed she had gotten a bit of dust in her nose because when she sneezed it released a large explosion of fire.
In the aftermath they all had to brush ash off of themselves. Donnie started to laugh his head off while tamping a small fire on his sleeve.
"That was something. Are you alright?"
After he calmed down and was assured the girl was fine he introduced himself.
"The name's Donnie McManus and this grouch here is Weiss Schnee."
He said this while motioning between him and Weiss.
"R-Ruby Rose." The girl replied meekly having been embarrassed by the display.
Ruby glanced at Donnie's rifle and quickly perked up.
"Oooh what kind of weapon is that?"
He smiled at this and pulled the gun from shoulder.
"This is the Lee Enfield infantry rifle with..." as Donnie paused he began to pay his belt for his bayonet. "With a detachable sword bayonet."
"Does it, you know, turn into anything like an axe or sword?"
"It does not." Ruby dropped a little bit after hearing this. A small bit disappointed.
Donnie gained her interest again when he presented his other weapons.
After letting Ruby toy with his revolver she noticed the curious red stains speckled on the presented shovel.
When she asked Donnie what they were he replied by saying ,"a story for another time kid."
By this time Weiss had managed to place the rest of luggage on the cart and presented it to Donnie who grabbed a hold of it and (after excusing himself) began to walk after the young heiress.
They both decided to follow the gathering throng of other first years to the ceremony.
When they arrived Weiss straightened her jacket and strolled proudly through the entry way. While Donnie broke into a slight jog and, after a few steps, hopped onto the back of the cart.
He rode the cart into the hall and stopped just before ramming into anyone.
Once stopped he stepped down and left the cart to catch up with Weiss.
Donnie took a moment to glance around at their surroundings.
The hall was massive, most likely the holder of many parties. There were beautifully crafted stained glass windows set above a small stage that rose above the massive crowd.
Around them stood stone pillars acting as an everlasting support for the large stone roof. The wooden floors seemed finely polished and cleaned making him feel almost sad to be scuffing it with his boots.
Donnie would have been able to see more of the hall had there not been the large crowd of eager students. He was also interrupted by the loud exclamation from Weiss that seemed to cause even some bystanders to jump with surprise.
"You!"
Donnie turned to look at who exactly had become the misfortune of Weiss's wrath.
He was surprised to see it directed towards the young girl they had met earlier named Ruby. Ruby upon hearing the furious heiress leaped into the girl next to her's arms.
Donnie charged after Weiss to attempt to lighten the situation.
When they reached the two girls Weiss produced a pamphlet named "Dust for Dummies and other Inadequate Individuals".
"Here take this. Hopefully it will enlighten you on the proper use of dust."
"Oh lay off already Weiss she already apologized and besides all she did was run into us!"
Once she heard this the stunning, blonde haired girl beside Ruby looked at us with an eyebrow raised and introduced herself.
"I'm not sure what it is that my sister did to make you angry and I don't really want to know. But anyway, name's Yang! What's yours cutie?"
Donnie laughed at Yang's comment and replied with,"I'm Donnie, Donnie McManus. And the ice queen here is Weiss."
The nickname Donnie had just given Weiss earned yet another glare from her.
Before they could talk anymore they were interrupted by a man with a cane and white hair who had walked up to the microphone onstage and began speaking.
He introduced himself as the headmaster, Professor Ozpin and the slightly terrifying woman next to him as Professor Goodwitch.
After a rather short but sweet speech Ozpin relayed that the wall we were in was where we would be sleeping until teams and dorms were assigned.
-------------------------------------------------
That night, after the two set up their sleeping bags by the newly found Pyrrah Nikos (at Weiss's insistence) Donnie came out of the bathroom wearing his signature boxers and a t-shirt outfit.
As he walked over to his bag Donnie felt as if he were being watched. Having had bad experiences with this before he quickly scanned the hall with his eyes. They settled on Yang who at that time was staring at every boy in their sleepwear. Most without shirts.
Donnie relaxed at this and continued his strolling. Head shaking slightly with a smile on his face.
When he reached Weiss and Pyrrah it seemed like Weiss was talking her ear off about how good of a team they would make.
When Pyrrah noticed the approach of Donnie he gave her sympathetic look and silently settled down on top of his sleeping bag.
Before Weiss could go on about the twelfth thing her and Pyrrah could great as a team in she was interrupted by Donnie clearing his throat.
"Alright alright Weiss we get it. You and Pyrrah might make a good team."
"Well I'm simply making my point clear!" She said indignantly.
"You made it clear an hour ago now go to sleep I'm sure we'll all need it for tomorrow."
With a huff from the young heiress and a slight smile from Pyrrah. Donnie finally got to lay back and let the darkness take him into a deep sleep.