✎15: plans & impacts

[unedited]

"Do you think Mr Renness meant it when he said that he'd give us detention if we didn't do his homework?" Jimin asks as we leave the school building following the end of the school day

"It's like you're reading my mind," I say, adjusting my backpack over my shoulder. We make our way over to my trusty Shirley, the sun shining down on her cream coloured exterior. It's funny to think now that there was a stage during which I didn't know a single thing about cars, but now I can name every single part and their function of my baby.

Just my baby though - other cars are still very much foreign to me. 

Jimin pulls a face, opening the passenger seat of my car. We both get in before he says, "I literally have plans tonight. I don't have time to worry about Accounting."

I let out a small laugh, starting the engine. "It's better than Hildebrand's assignments. I swear she's shoving all this Shakespeare stuff down our throats on purpose. Like, there are other people in English Literature who are just as important, right?" I say, but the moment the last syllable leaves my lips, I fully process what my best friend just said. "Wait, what plans?"

Last time I checked, Jimin only ever did two things on a Monday after school: come with me to my house until late, or go home and deal with his mom. He hardly ever chooses the last one though, considering it's one of the few days in the week when he's mom is home, and they don't exactly have the best relationship - never really have. And since the start of Operation Kiss-A-Ton, he's accompanied the whole time. 

So to hear that he suddenly has plans is definitely news to me.

A slight blush creeps across his face as he gives me a mischievous smile. "Don't worry about it," he says, failing to hide his face behind his hands.

"Jimin!" I exclaim, dropping my jaw in anticipation. "Best friends don't keep secrets! What plans?"

Jimin chuckles, seemingly enjoying my reaction. "Alright, alright, calm down, Sherlock. No need to interrogate me," he says, glancing playfully over at me. "I don't normally like to kiss and tell, but...I may or may not have a date tonight."

My eyes widen with genuine surprise, my foot almost pressing on the gas pedal despite the car still hovering in idle position. "A date! Seriously?" I ask, feeling a happy smile forming on my face. I don't think Jimin has actually been on a date in a year or so. Unless he kept those a secret from me too. "Who's the lucky person? Where is it? What are you going to wear?"

Jimin's grin grows wider, and he leans back in the seat, "Oh my soul, calm down, Kinny," he says, playfully rolling his eyes. "It's nothing fancy, just grabbing a drink with someone I've started talking to someone recently."

"You should know me better by now, Chim-Chim," I say, narrowing my eyes at him. "I'm literally going to badger you about this all the way home. Might as well tell me now and save yourself the torture, don't you think?"