Down For a Ride?

Their most anticipated Saturday finally came, both had set their alarms the night before and started early with excitement. Mia had already put out the clothes she'll be wearing today. She picked them out carefully. She didn't know where they were going, so it had to be suitable for everything. A pleated short white skirt paired with a cropped black hoodie. It was so unlikely of her to wear something like this, but nowadays she felt confident in her own skin and appreciated herself more and more. To go with it she even picked a pair of oink earrings made of feathers along with her favourite silver necklace with a blue butterfly pendant that Rache had once gifted her. She completed her fit with her pair of black Chelsea boots and a small handbag to put her necessities. Her hair was put in a little bun with a hairpin keeping it intact.

Braydon on the other hand wore a white linen shirt that complimented what's underneath, with a pair of blue denim and a grey straight jacket. A pair of blue sunglasses and his usual earring to complete his look. But there was something different about his earring though, there was only one half of the heart hanging by the chain now, he opened his drawer and took out a small box which he slipped into his jacket pocket. By the door he had his key hangar, he stopped for a while and took two of the three keys, one was for the door, the others were his bike's and jeep's. if he was any other guy, he would have obviously taken his bike key, but he didn't. Instead, he took his jeep. A second-hand Jeep Wrangler convertible, the engine revved to life and with a smile he started made his way to Mia's. On his way he picked up a bouquet he had called and ordered and slid that little box in the middle of the bouquet and placed it on the seat next to him.

Once he reached her place, he dropped her a text to come down, and Mia galloped down to meet him. With a peck on her cheek, he opened the jeep door for her. Butterflies took over Mia's entire conscience when she saw the adorable peony bouquet. There was a total of ten peonies, five pink and five yellow flowers with feverfews peaking out in the middle and there laid a little blue box among the beautiful soft petals. Feeling every petal and every flower with her hand she finally took out the box and opened it, there laid an identical earring of his. She looked up and he tucked his hair behind his ear and smiled. 'You didn't', Mia was stunned to see that one half his heart was with her now. He had his earring in his left ear, she took what was gifted to her and wore it on her right ear. 'There, its complete now', saying this she gently kissed him on the cheek and put her focus back on the bouquet in hand.

The butterflies were fluttering so hard she couldn't stare right at him, 'shall we?' he gestured her to get in and closed the door behind her and walked around the jeep. She could see him throwing some happy imaginary punches into the air in the middle rearview mirror and couldn't help but smile. They both never felt so loved before, but still in the corner of both of their hearts was a fear that what if it repeats all over again. He got back in his seat and before starting the vehicle back again he opened the roof. 'Some wind in the hair would do some good, don't you think?' smiling at what he meant she took the hairpin off and shook the bun off, her hair flowed like a dark brown river all the way down to the waist. 'Where are we going?', she asked 'trust me and enjoy the ride.' Was all he said and started driving. Passing restaurants, parks, cinema and even museums and any other possible locations to have the first date in, she finally understood they were going beyond the city where there was more nature. They had been driving for over an hour, there were a few eye contacts and a lot of talking, about their friends and a random argument on whether Dan Brown is a good author or not. That conversation wasn't really going anywhere so they called it even and dropped it. Just when she started talking about picnics, he stopped the jeep and smiled at her, 'we're here' was all he said and got off. Mia could hear a rushing noise somewhere close by, she had promised him that she won't use her phone to look up their location. She got down and started walking towards the noise while he was busy with something in the back of the vehicle.

She found a small stream and started following it, finally she realised she was very near to a steep where there was a waterfall. She stopped and turned around to see Braydon walking over with a picnic basket in hand. 'Well, you picked the spot. Shall we?' he started putting down a cloth and put the basket down and walked over to stand next to her. Chilly air chilled their bodies, and made them move closer to each other, 'can I say something weird?', Mia asked. 'By all means' he turned to look at her. 'Do not take me wrong, but this... this spot. It's a perfect spot to you know...' Oh he knew, he totally understood what she meant, as a matter of fact he had come here to stand alone and just stare at far beyond. 'Well, to be honest, you might think that, but this spot actually has an opposite effect once you spend more than five minutes.' He walked over to the basket and took a bottle out; they both didn't drink it was a bottle of sparkling tea. With green tea, lemongrass, and white tea. He brought it along with two glasses and handed one of them to her and popped open the bottle. Filling both glasses they walked back to the basket and sat down. Mia was almost shivering as her legs were bare. He took some cinnamon roles out of the baskets and spread them on the mat while Mia took out the chocolate churros and key lime cake slices out of the basket. 'Where'd you buy them? They're amazing', she said while stuffing her mouth with churros. She never expected his response, 'made them, from scratch' he said it as if it wasn't a big deal at all.

Once the snacks were over, they sat there for about an hour and talked about how beautiful the place was and how lucky they would be if they could have a cabin somewhere around here. With a jump Braydon stood up saying that the day wasn't over, and it was time to get to the next place. They were back on the road again and was driving back into the city. He stopped at a cinema and asked her to wait in the jeep. Braydon went inside and by the looks of it was having a chat with the manager showing his phone, probably was talking about the ticket reservation; Mia deducted. But there was no board or whatsoever as to what movie was being screened. He came back out and opened the door for her. 'What're we watching then?' 'Why don't we go inside and see?', he took her inside the empty cinema. She wondered why it was just them, and he answered that the owner is his friend's father and he had reserved the place for them before she could even ask. Once they took a seat Braydon turned to her all excited and said, 'We are gonna watch' he drum rolled in the air 'He's all that and... Five feet apart.' He was so excited to reveal the movies to her and Mia's eyes were smiling wide. 'No way...' she dragged, 'I love those movies' she squealed. After a short while the movie started and after about an hour a guy came in with some popcorns and informed, he'll be back again as instructed. Mia wondered how long he had been preparing for this day and how perfect it was. By the time the movies were over it was almost sunset. They scurried out of the hall and got back into the jeep, laughing like two teenagers and drove to the beachside bar for some drinks and dinner. They watched the sunset together and talked a great deal about their plans. They were both so focused and aligned about their growth it made them confident about each other. There was no uncertainty between them or even a small doubt to rethink their life choices. It was a big pivot from Mia's past life.

In each other's company they had forgotten that it was way past ten and they had to get back home now, once they got back into the jeep thunder clapped in the distance. For some reason Mia looked up at the sky and smiled, a wholehearted smile.