He Asked

'Nick...Nick... dude it's supposed to go on the left side', Braydon was running hysterically shouting behind one of his friends. Jake was still staring at all the things in front of him imagining how Braydon managed to pull this off, and where all the money came from. But all of Braydon's friends knew one thing, he was happy. As happy as he can be, and if it all goes well. He made the best decision any man could ever have made.

Jumping with joy, Braydon called Mia, he didn't her much information other than asking her to wear the dress he had once bought her. The call felt weird, Mia had to be honest. But without asking him anymore questions she agreed to it and asked where they were going. 'Somewhere we already went', again that was all he could reveal to Mia. 'See you later', without waiting he hung up the call leaving Mia confused and heart-racing on the other side. He turned back and took a deep breathe overlooking the perfect view. The fresh yet cold air filled his lungs, yet he was warm inside. Every single cell of his body was excited about this day, the awaiting moment. Him and his friends stood their looking at the set up they had put on for the evening, the tables and the food are yet to arrive. But there was still time and Jake had taken responsibility of it along with Noah.

Braydon took out a little red envelop out of his pocket and sighed, he was so eager to open it since the day he got it, but Rache had instructed to open it in the right moment. Pocketing it back, he walked over to his bike, 'alright boys', he said 'we'll see each other in about five hours, I'm gonna go see Mia now.'

It was autumn, the city looked gloomy romantic with the falling leaves and rain; with tourists roaming around. Mia was in the shower when Braydon got home, neither of them moved in together but Mia had given a key to her apartment to him. He walked around without making a noise looking in the fridge whether she had any leftovers. With all the excitement he had forgotten to eat breakfast and lunch. Before coming to Mia's, he did go to his place to shower and change. With a tight bun and a few strands falling on the front. No matter how hard to be silent, Mia heard him, 'gimme a few minutes, I'll be done.' Unlike other girls, just like she told, she was ready in a jiffy, she wore the red and black dress as Braydon had asked, the one he had gifted her once, with light make-up and her freshly washed hair let loose.

They drove around the city for a while in the jeep, had some snacks since both of them were famished and continued their way to the destination. Halfway through the ride, Mia realised where they were going, 'Heyyyy.... I know where we're going....' She squealed in excitement. Seeing her happy made Braydon tear up in the corner of his eye. Stopping under a tree, Braydon suggested they took a stroll. As they strolled hand in hand, the air filled with the sweet scent and the soft melody of birdsong. A little further away, Mia could see the path lighting up all the way to the spot they sat down for the picnic. Letting go of Braydon's hand she started running towards the life, just as excited to see the lights like Rapunzel from Tangled.

Suddenly she stopped when she saw the whole crew gathered, with a table set in the middle. A white tablecloth thrown over it, with candles lit up and roses in glasses. The smell of food mixed with the sweet scent in the air. But she felt like no one paid attention to her, as if she was invisible. 'Guys, hey... what's going on?' she called out a few times. No one bothered to turn her way and answer her, when she heard Braydon's voice behind her.

'Mia', he called, she turned to see him standing behind her. But he wasn't standing, he had got down on one knee. 'Braydon...', her voice disappeared in the air as her eyes filled up with tears. 'Mia, from the moment our paths first crossed, I knew there was something extraordinary about you. Your presence made my life so much beautiful than it ever was. Today, as I look back on our journey, I see a mosaic of shared dreams, challenges overcome, and a love that has blossomed into something beyond my wildest imagination. I chose this day, this place and this moment to ask you this. Will you Mia, marry me?' his voice shook as he finished his question. Wiping her tears off she got down to the same level to meet his eyes and cupped his face with her small soft hands. 'Before you say your answer, whatever it maybe, let me tell you I offer you not just a ring but a promise – a promise to stand by you, to cherish you, and to love you for all the days of our lives. I know things were not easy for you, but if I made you as happy as you made me, I... I want that forever in my life.'

The crowd, the clamour from their friends had died out now, Mia felt like even the waterfall had fallen silent. Everyone was waiting for an answer, Braydon was looking deep into Mia's eyes as Mia tried so hard to blink away her tears, eventually letting a few rolled down her red cheeks.

'Braydon... I... you know, I have a habit and you just wrote the most beautiful chapter. A chapter that I will never be able to describe with words, because there are no words in existence to describe how you made me feel. At peace, safe, healed and more than everything loved. You made me feel seen and loved.' She took a minute to wipe away her tears and gave him her hand.

He took her cold little hand and held it tight, unable to contain the excitement coursing through his veins. He looked at her, waiting for her to say the words...