Off The Wagon

-Trigger Warning: Manic Episode-

On her way back home, she passed a couple of teenagers gossiping by the side of a seven-eleven, she heard one of them say 'man, my therapist is a pain in the ass'. This sent Mia into a trance state, she suddenly remembered her own therapist, it has been a long time she even thought about therapy and had completely forgotten when her last session was. She hurried home and flung open the door.

She was out of breath, standing by the entrance she scanned the whole place as if someone had set a trap inside and hurried to her table. It was the same place and she had been living there for a while, but right now it felt like she was having an out-of-the-body experience. She wanted to tear the entire the world away and shout. She freaked out even more when she thought whether or not she was having an episode right now and what the consequences would be if she had to call her therapist again. She remembered that she could write down something to get her mind off this violent feeling. She felt like biting into something and screaming; but most of all, she was confused as to why she was feeling what she was feeling. She rummaged through her drawer and found a bundle of papers inside an old leather cover; she looked through it hoping to find a blank piece of paper. But instead that search soon turned into the last date she had written something. She went through the sheets again and again and her irritation rose by a millisecond. Her misophonia was acting up too, she couldn't even stand the clock's ticking. She covered her ears and sat down on the floor and screamed; she didn't let a single note of sound out, the scream then turned into a cry. She fully fell onto the carpet in a foetus position and started crying, she didn't even mind the fact that her door was open.

She reopened her eyes for the scent of coffee spreading across her apartment, she heard someone in the kitchen and there was a blanket put over her. Mia's heartbeat rose, it was beating so fast as it might leap out of her body. Slowly picking up a pen from her table she slowly moved towards the kitchen. 'You can put the pen away', said a familiar voice from the kitchen, and a familiar silhouette rose from the floor to the wall next to her. Braydon stood by the kitchen frame with a worried look on his face and two mugs in his hand. 'Wha...what are you doing here', Mia held her head trying to piece her reality together. 'Well, as a responsible boyfriend, after ten texts and five missed calls later I came to find you since you promised to text me once you were home.' 'Oh', was all Mia answered with, she was not fully conscious yet. 'Mia', Braydon walked over and held her arm and sat her down, 'you do know you can talk to me about anything right? I was worried sick, what happened?' 'I think I had another episode' and buried her face in his chest and started crying again.

After a few minutes, and after several attempts from Braydon to get her to talk she finally explained him what had happened. Once she was done, she froze while staring at the leather cover with her bundle of papers. 'I wanna go back home for a few days, you wanna come?' she asked all of a sudden. 'Umm... yeah sure, just let me know you plan, and I'll move my things around.' He stayed over with her for three more days insisting that he won't leave until he decides she was fine. He noticed that every now and then she would stare at that leather cover and freeze, but he knew for sure it wasn't something he would have to interfere with and once she feels like sharing, she would. Aligning with her trip plan, Rache announced her reception.

They had planned for a three week stay and one week had already gone by with them touring all over the country. She hadn't told Rache she was there yet, according to Rach; Mia would be coming four days before the day which is two days from now. They had returned back to Mia's hometown and was roaming around the whole city when something unexpected happen. Rach walked in on them at a restaurant, she was utterly shocked to have seen her best friend there, two days early before she said she would be let alone with a guy. The same guy from the café on her first night there.

'So, she pulled out a chair and sat across them, are you two gonna tell me what you two are or are you just planning on keeping it a CIA worthy secret', she finished the sentence in whisper laughed in high spirits. Having had lunch together with her best friend again, Rache had completely forgotten she had preparations she had to take care of, but before she left, she made sure to scare Mia into promising that she would call her once she was free.

A big cloud hung over Rache the rest of the day; she couldn't get the fact out of her head that her best friend has been keeping her new boy friend a secret. She had no idea that Mia was dating. She was out and about with her family making reservation and booking for her big day, but nevertheless the cloud hung over head and every now and then she slipped out of her reality and into the cloud.

On the other side, Mia was stressed. But she didn't have to explain what just happened to Braydon, because he understood. He calmed her down saying that wanting to keep something for us is not a crime and it was acceptable behaviour. But nonetheless, now that the cat was out of the bag, she would have to explain Rache everything. She decided to be just completely honest with her; there was no point sugar-coating anything. As the matter of fact, she had already told her once; but unfortunately, when she mustered up the courage to speak Rache wasn't in a condition to fully acknowledge to understand what was being told to her.

Once Mia was home, she dropped Rache her a text to let her know a good time to talk; knowing she'd be busy with her family, but to her surprise she called her back immediately.

'Rache, I'm so sorry', Mia started.

'Let me stop you right there. I don't want to hear that, Mia. All I want to know, is that you're happy.' Rache snapped back, she sounded a little angry, but Mia understood it was just out of concern.

'I am... I am... more than ever.' She fell unto the bed and put her feet up in the air and twiddled her toes.

'Good, now tell me about him', she wanted to sound serious but ended up laughing by the end of her sentence.

'Well for starters I saw him on my first day there itself', she dragged.

'What the... why the... why the hell didn't you tell me that?'

'Uhm, well I didn't remember him exactly.'

'Liar', Rache sneered.

'For real, it was at the café I saw him the second time and talked for the first time.' When Mia said that Braydon peeped out the book he was hidden behind and smirked. Blushing, Mia took a throw pillow and threw at him.

'Wait a damn minute, when did you talk to him? How did you talk to him when I was there the whole time?'

'Well, you did take a small break, remember?'

'You cunning vixen.' Was all Rache said and started laughing a little too loud.

Mia was worried where exactly she was that she was laughing like this.

The next two hours went as an interrogation session with Rache asking questions and Mia giving discreet answers without making Braydon uncomfortable. Through the course of the phone call, Mia reminded several times that it was high time Rache went to sleep to get good rest in, but she didn't listen. After many persuasions she finally agreed to hang up with an invitation that she must bring Braydon to the engagement too.

Mia had already planned for it anyway; she had asked if she could bring a plus one the first time, she mentioned it. They had picked out the perfect pairing outfit for the day and was ready to surprise her way ahead. It is obvious that the surprise was ruined now, but they were going to rock that party anyway. Mia had picked an all-white jumpsuit. The body of the suit was cropped in the front with crisscross designs connecting with the pant. The neck with asymmetric with one full single sleeve. Complementing her jumpsuit Braydon had picked a simple two-piece navy blue suit and a plain white t-shirt underneath for a semi-casual look.