breathe | sanji

"I wanna breathe, just set me free."

Flipping through the books and the silence in the room, not a sound to squeak. Looking at the clock and looking back at Robin who seems already invested into her book, you gave a small smile and excused yourself.

With the nose stuck in your book, bumping into Sanji with a cigarette between his lips.

"Oh sorry Sanji."

"Don't worry, are you okay though?" Smoking out the air, you immediately coughed.

"Yea it's fine don't worry about me." You said while coughing.

Excusing yourself and walking past by him with a hand clutching your shirt, he immediately turned bothered.

"Oh don't worry about me." He mocked.

Tossing the cigarette away and walking to where you went, he immediately stopped himself when he saw you on the floor coughing profusely, in front of Chopper's office. Just as he was about to take a step, Chopper heard you.

"Y/n!! You're coughing blood up again??"

"Sorry Chopper I went past by Sanji before don't worry I just need the medicine." You continued coughing.

Watching Chopper rush you in, he followed. Behind the closed doors worrying, what was this condition? Looking at where you last were, seeing tiny droplets of blood. Fuck. Did he do this?

Waiting outside of the office and as you walked out, you felt someone's hand at your wrist. Looking up to see worry written in his eyes.

"Sanji?? Did you wait for me??"

"First things first. Is something actually wrong?"

"Oh so you did watch me.."

Feeling the grip of his hands on your wrist, you took a step forward to him. It wasn't like you guys were awkward onto each other either.

"I've had a lung condition for a while now as a kid and I'm almost close to healing completely but since I'm not back where I was.."

"Why didn't you tell me this? I could have stopped smoking around you so much."

While he was worrying, the only thing you could do was smile at him.

"I'm sorry I didn't have the heart to say anything. But I know that for you smoking is a way of relief and to remove your stress so I just go with whatever you do. I care about you a lot but even smoking? I'm fine with it as long as you realize your limits, Sanji. Along with the bickering with Zoro, fighting off Luffy with our meals you make, wondering when the right person will meet you to the end with unconditional love. I get you have so many thoughts and smoking a cigarette helps you avoid those thoughts. I wish I could help think of an alternative but I'm not completely sure what that would be. But please know Sanji, I don't mind if you smoke. But for my case, all my life I just wanted to breathe, and set myself free from my pain."

Looking down at the floor from the sudden confession you look up to see his face and his face was already red with a sparkle in his eye.

"I didn't think you were so observant Y/n.." Smiling down at you.

"Hey I mean.. it's what we do..?" You stammered. Giving him a light pat on the shoulders snd walking away as if you didn't pour your heart out to someone you had observed so much. As Sanji sighed and took a cigarette out, just before he could even light it up, he stopped himself. Knowing that cigarettes are a way to escape stress, there had to be a different approach just for you to have a healthy air environment as well.

"Her health means more to me than this." He thought.

As soon as the sun began to set, that feeling in your chest was beginning to act up again. The stinging agony and frustration wrapping around your lungs tightly. Immediately trying to stand up to get to Chopper's office, leaving clattered items everywhere in your room creating a large commotion. Vision blurry with tears of pain and a familiar ringing sensation in your ear, you couldn't bear it any longer. On your way to find Chopper, sensing something near by you. Or someone. Turning around and seeing Usopp and Luffy running, colliding into you. Crashing down onto the floor and your chest slammed against the wooden floor, the pain enhanced itself. Then the panic set itself in. This case had never been this severe until now.

Gripping onto your chest and feeling the fabric of your shirt, panic, tears, and the feeling of losing air was all over the place. Gasping and feeling faint, you see the familiar blonde. Losing conscious, last thing your vision spots is Sanji running to you.

"Y/n's condition seems to get worse.." Chopper flipped over the medical papers.

"Well what can we do about it??"

"The next island hopefully theres herbs that can reduce the pain and including her anxiety, that seems to be getting worse as well." Chopper said as he examined your hands seeing the bit up nails and skin peeling off your fingers.

Watching Chopper take his notes down and testing, Sanji left the room quietly. Prepping the meals and calling everyone over, he went to Chopper's office. Looking around the doctor's room, admiring all the books and studies, he's done so much for this team. Looking back at your unconscious state, dragging a chair by the bed and sitting down. Gently holding your hand into his, and never letting go of.

The hours pass by, and still no sign for you waking up, but that didn't mean he'll leave you. In the end, falling asleep next to you on the chair, the silence lingered in the room's atmosphere. Finally opening your eyes, heavyweight eyelids, opening to a blurry vision. Wiping your eyes gently to get s clear view, you realized the person next to you.

"Was he here the whole time...?" You thought to yourself.

Lightly shaking Sanji, he picked his head up.

"Y/n! You're okay??"

"Of course I'm okay." You laughed.

Gently hugging you, your arms around his neck and his arms around your waist.

"Just for the record, tell me these things about you. Every detail. I'll take care of you."

"But why would you wanna do something like that for me?"

"Because you're precious to me Y/n."

"I am?"

"You are. I don't need those cigarettes when I know you're my reason to breathe, Y/n, and that you'll set me free."