☽♡ 3 ♡☾

𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

❝In the dance of serendipity, just when I resign to the absence of your presence, fate orchestrates the devil's waltz, and you materialize before me.❞

Saphyrine sat across from Adryn in the headmaster's office, where it seemed as time had stopped due to the old books, burnt-out candles, and dated furniture.

Adryn lounged in a chair as if he owned the place. Saphyrine suppressed a smirk, finding it oddly amusing, but she maintained a professional facade. It would be funny if they were still good friends. He seemed pleased with her how she handled the situation and erased Rowan's memories perfectly, that Rowan even didn't know she was there. Saphyrine nodded at his words, just to prove to him her story — Rowan had been in desolating state and she just saved his life.

Adryn then offered apologies for her terminated research, claiming he didn't know about any of it and they had to refuse her studies in his name by accident. They. His family had long fingers, ruling the school and beyond. Not much could scare Saphyrine but they did.

However Adryn managed to ran hand over his white hair during his speaking and skepticism lingered in Saphyrine's eyes. Only a thought if he was lying to her but she rather acknowledged his words. She had no powers in this privileged system anyway. Silvermoons were the peak of the hierarchy.

Then, with an air of importance, Adryn revealed plans for an upcoming academic ball on Friday, an event that could open doors to grants and projects for her. These balls were familiar to her, she used to go on these with Rowan even back in high school, winning her chances on great researches every time. It was the reason she ended up at this academy. Rowan used to say she had both big dreams that caught attention of sponsors and abilities to make it reality and it was her superpower against a concurrency. He had always believed in her and it was one of the parts she loved the most on him. So she had helped him to also get accepted at the academy in return.

Her mind darted to her head space, where she now wondered how was Rowan doing. If he was okay, if he wasn't perhaps angry at her when he had heard her conversation with Adryn in his room the night before.

No. She had to reassure herself. Rowan had always believed in her.

And here she was, even with her abilities, she was facing rejection and had to think about some bloody ball to safe her studies. To earn some money.

"You shouldn't miss this ball, Saphyrine," Adryn stated and wandered through some parchments. But she knew well from his tone, where he was leading.

"I don't have a partner," she stated, but she knew Adryn was definitely planning for her to partner with someone.

He looked at her through his reading. "Well."

She just sighed and met his gaze. "Who do you have for me?"

"The council want to see us two together at the event. Silvermoons' son with the best student of the academy—"

She responded immediately, "Okay."

"You agree? Just like that?" He asked with high eyebrows, oblivious to his previous acting.

However, Saphyrine kept her professionalism. "It seems important. So count me in." Whatever was Adryn or his family planning, she would use the opportunity to be seen with him while holding the status of the best student.

"You are taking it better than I expected. Well, I will send you dress, we have to match too, if I want to be able to find you a research."

With limited options, she agreed, setting aside personal grievances for a chance to salvage her future — she would love to go there with Rowan, but it was impossible.