donuts » yashiro nene

The sunlight dimmed as the sun slowly melted between the fluffy clouds that looking similar to a painting in the blue sky.

You dragged your shoes across the dirt path, glancing to your left and right sides at some of the flowers that swayed in the gentle spring breeze.

From afar, you spotted a small girl with faded cyan colored hair tips and a slightly oversized white skirt. You eventually realize it's one of your friends in several classes you attend to.

"Hey, Nene-chan." You spoke up, approaching the girl who had her head down, focused on gardening work at the moment, yet she looked like she was wandering in her own thoughts. You tilted your body to the right a little, trying to see her face clearer.

You adjusted your hood from the side before deciding to speak up once more. "Hello? Nene?" You gently tapped her shoulder as she eventually responded, jolting in the process. "DONUTS!" Yashiro yelled out, startling you a bit.

You pulled your hand away, looking upon her concerningly. After a few seconds of silence went by, Yashiro noticed her sudden outburst and covered her mouth while looking at you. "Sorry.." Yashiro mumbled embarrassingly, slowly removing her hands from her mouth.

"You're good but.. donuts?" You pause with a slight snicker, almost like you were teasing her in a friendly way. "Out of all the words, that's what you blurted out?"

Yashiro closed her eyes with a huff. "I don't know. My mind is weird." She shrugged, eventually rising to her feet, wiping the dirt off of her skirt and gloves. You softly laugh underneath your breath. "Y'know I've come to you for something."

The girl paused, stiffening up at this sudden change of subject, looking at you straight in the eyes with a rather visible pink hue towards her cheeks. Honestly, it didn't look like she was breathing at this point.

"Wanna make donuts?" You asked with a slight grin as Yashiro paused, getting the whole get twisted up. Apparently her mind went for a romantic approach, yet was completely wrong.

Yashiro mumbled something underneath her breath, kinda looking disappointed at first before shaking her head to herself. She was definitely thinking and talking to herself. You wonder if it's a daily thing at this point. She lifted her head up, blowing out the air she held in.

"Aha, well, why not? Sure!" She brightly smiled, yet with a tint of nervousness. You stared at her for a second, noticing she was clutching her white, puffy skirt and slightly forcing a bright smile on her face. I.. don't understand her. What's going on in her mind? You shake it off, and the topic, focusing on donuts for now.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

You two eventually arrived at the kitchen-like area of the academy, flipping one of the lights on, Yashiro standing behind you. "Um, are you sure we're supposed to be in here?" She whispered as you gave a light shrug to your shoulders.

"Don't worry, if we get caught, I'll take the blame." You looked behind your shoulder at Yashiro with a faint, sweet smile. She gave a light nod, watching you enter the room completely. Afterwards, the pink shade on her face darkened as she looked down.

Yashiro took in a few timy breaths, walking in the room completely too. You scanned the cooking books on how to make certain foods until your eyes landed on donuts. You grabbed and flipped through the first few blank pages until you found the first instruction.

"I remember making donuts a while back with Kou." Yashiro spoke, grabbing the items for the donuts. She placed the metal bowl on the table, placing the stirrer inside. "Oh really? How did they turn out?" You propped the book up on something stable as Yashiro looked up at the ceiling.

"They were.. delicious! Like.. if they came out from the sky, mmm.." Yashiro's smile widened a bit more as you laughed at her words. "I can imagine how they taste now." You responded, turning the faucet to the sink on to clean your hands. "After you wash your hands, we can start."

The small girl nodded eagerly, waiting her turn.

You two spent a few hours making the donuts, mostly Yashiro doing all the amazing work due to her cooking skill. Yet, you still needed to help her with remembering a few things.

You flipped the pages, landing on the last few instructions. "Alright, we should be almost done here." You look over at Yashiro, noticing she was about to microwave something.

Your eyes widen a little with a small gasp. "Wait, Nene! That's A METAL BOWL-"

Luckily, Yashiro flinched at your words, yet almost dropping the bowl on the floor. She was able to catch it, yet looked up at you with widened eyes again. You sighed a bit heavily, rubbing the side of your face.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry!!" Yashiro squeaked, quickly placing the bowl down and stiffening up again. You shook your head, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's like every time you mess up, you think I'm going to punish you or something." You pause with a smile inching across your face. "Relax, I'm not mad or anything."

Minutes ticked by and finally you both were done with the donuts. Not good, but not terrible either. "Alright, moment of truth." You picked up a small donut, placing it up to your mouth and taking a small bite. You look over at Yashiro who had at least three stuffed in her mouth already. At least you knew she loved them.

The texture was honestly pretty soft, as for the taste, it was heavenly. You eventually made drinks for both you and Yashiro, settling down to talk for a while. Yet, Yashiro was spaced out again. You placed a palm on the side of your face, slowly chewing the donut in your mouth.

Is she really always like this? I'm kind of concerned about her. Spacing out often isn't really a good sign. You placed your drink down. Yashiro looked like she wanted to say something, but something pushed her away from speaking.

"Nene..? Are you alright?" You questioned in a low yet gentle manner as she looked up with a faint smile. "Oh! Yeah, just spaced out." She nodded. "And.. that's what I'm worried about." You paused, taking another bite of your donut. "What's on your mind?"

Yashiro's eyes darted down to the ground again before looking over her shoulder at the old clock that was placed on the wall. She suddenly stood up. "I have to go.. to the bathroom. I'll be back!" Yashiro walked over towards the door, looking over at you from behind.

"Let's do this someday again." She lowered her voice before quickly leaving the room. You eventually pushed away the donuts that laid in front of you. She didn't even touch her drink, nor another donut.

Plus, she always spends time in the girl's bathroom. It's not like she has some personal friend that I don't know about. You shook your head at that ridiculous thought, wrapping up the donuts in a small bag, safe and secured and cleaning up the area before you left.

Then, the thought got to you. You placed your hand on the switch to the lights, looking down.

...Right? It really can't be.

~*~
nene is adorable. that's all.

but, sorry if this first oneshot was a bit too long for your taste..

have a wonderful day, folks !!