Ghost - Part 1

A R T E M I S 🏹

It's been 3 years since Wally died. These past few years had been the hardest time of Artemis' life. After losing Wally, her mother was found dead two weeks later, with nothing but 2 bullet wounds to the head. A couple ways Artemis found helpful to deal with pain of losing the love of her life and her mother was to write about her emotions. She had been writing a song about Wally for the past couple of weeks.

She was now sitting on her bed with Wally's old guitar beside her, as she placed the picture of her and Wally on her window sill.

Her back was to the door, in case Lian or Violet or Tara came in, she didn't want them to see her like this. She was supposed to be the strong one, the person you can come to if you needed to cry. Someone who supports everyone else but never supports herself.

She picked up the guitar, carefully strumming out some cords to go with the words to the song.

"He's my ghost. Everywhere I go. He's always close. He's my ghost." She sang quietly, scared someone might hear her.

"I sink into my sheets. It's only 7:23. I close my eyes, and he's here with me." She thought about that time on Valentine's day, when she had asked Zatanna to help her get over her first love. How she had just closed her eyes and the next thing she knew she was up in the clouds with her love. She had long figured it was just her imagination, but it still felt so real.

"He's burned into my brain. He's got me with a ball and chain." She thought about how he was always there for her when she needed him most. How he was there to keep her from falling apart.

"And I know I will never be the same. Since he said hello." She smiled slightly, remembering the second time they met in Bialya. How he had tried to flirt with her, but failed miserably.

"He's my ghost." She thought about how he was her soulmate. How he was her best friend. Her everything.

"And he's long gone. But I won't move on. 'Cause he's all that means anything to me anymore. I know it's kind of sick. To lead me on like this. But I'm a perfect hurricane that you can't ignore." Even though everyone kept telling her Wally was dead, Artemis had always refused to believe it. Thinking he was still somewhere out there, waiting for him to come back to her.

"I watch you fall." She thought about Wally's first impression on her. Clumsily tripping in front her at the cave, hands full of beach toys, was not a good first impression.

"I watch you run." She was always there to support him, at his track and field meets. To cheer him on at his races. To celebrate with him when he won.

"I watch you perfectly cool and okay. While I'm coming undone." How he was always calm, cool and collected, whenever she had a nervous breakdown or anxiety attack.

"He's my ghost. He's my ghost. He won't let me go. He's my ghost." She thought about their New Year's kiss. How she was so scared to date Wally. Thinking about herself, as a broken and ugly girl.

But loving Wally had been the best decision she had ever made. He was the most caring, thoughtful, kind, funny, trustworthy, supportive, loving man she had ever met. She loved every part of him. From his fiery red hair, to his emerald green eyes, to his beautiful freckles he had out grown, to his arms, to his perfectly toned chest, his abs, his back, his hips, his lower region, his butt, his legs, his ankles, all the way down to his feet.

"And I don't know how to forget. They keep telling me he's dead. But he's alive in my memory. I'll never let him go. He's my ghost."

She ended the song with tears in her eyes. She closed her eyes, as the guitar sounds died down. Letting the tears fall down her face. Failing to notice someone standing behind her.

"Babe! That was beautiful."