7

While everyone's attention was directed towards Ram, Roswaal, not smiling but with a faint look of surprise, remarked, "Dear Ram seems quite enthusiastic."

As the meal progressed, Ram and Rem swiftly served the dishes at the table, offering appetizers. While evaluating the situation for a moment, Ram's gaze shifted towards Elara.

Elara was having trouble holding the fork correctly. She was gripping it like a knife instead of between her fingers; evidently, she lacked experience in using a fork. Ram approached her and asked, "Don't you know how to use a fork and knife?"

Elara's cheeks flushed, "No, I can use it," she said, but she was still holding the fork incorrectly. Even when shyly responding, she struggled to correct her posture.

In an attempt to solve her difficulty in using the fork, Elara almost whispered, "Um... can I get chopsticks?" Her voice carried embarrassment, clearly displaying her hesitation in making this request.

With a sigh, Ram gently took Elara's hand and said, "You'll do it like this," demonstrating the proper way to use the fork. Elara's struggle with the fork began to ease with Ram's help.

A hidden smile appeared on Subaru's face. Ram's memory loss hadn't affected the bond he felt with Elara.

Subaru's inner thoughts were becoming increasingly apparent. In his envisioned future, there were only happy moments to be shared with Elara and Ram. Other characters had become insignificant in his world. A sense of composure and indifference dominated his relationships with everyone except himself.

He no longer cared about the others, looking at them with a cold distance. In his eyes, the other characters were mere background figures. With this cold attitude, he seemed to no longer value relationships that he once considered important.

The existence or absence of other characters no longer held any significance for him. Inside, there was only a special bond and warmth reserved for Elara and Ram. He wanted to share his future life with these two, and whether others were a part of that life or not seemed like an insignificant detail to him.

Subaru was aware that he wasn't emotionless. He still had feelings and, in some instances, showed sensitivity towards others. However, over time, his priorities and connections had changed. The special bond he had formed with Elara and Ram stood out prominently above everything else.

Of course, he could feel gratitude towards someone who helped or treated him well. But compared to the deep bond shared with Elara and Ram, this gratitude occupied only a small place. In Subaru's world, other people or relationships took a back seat.

Elara and Ram were the defining point that brought his whole world together. The presence or absence of other people didn't affect this special bond. Subaru's heart continued to beat for Elara and Ram, and these two meant something entirely different to him. He felt lost within this special bond, leaving everything else behind and relishing the emotional richness that came with being with this special duo.

"Subaru-kun," Roswaal called, breaking his distraction and bringing him back to focus.

Realizing his momentary distraction, Subaru asked, "Sorry, I got lost. What were we discussing?" refocusing on the conversation at hand.

Roswaal, to remind him, said, "I was asking about the type of magician you are," waiting curiously.

Subaru, leaving behind a moment of deep thought, murmured, "Ah," and engaged his mind in speaking. "I am a Yin magician. I'm also quite skilled in physical combat," he said, not shying away from expressing his abilities. These abilities were an important part of his identity; he had strived to acquire and develop them. These abilities were a reflection of his own self and skills, so he took pride in them.

Puck's expression changed with a thoughtful look, "So, you also use Yin magic like Betty," he said.

Subaru raised his eyebrows slightly, "Who's Betty?" he asked, curious.

Emilia explained the matter, "She's Beatrice, the guardian of the mansion's library. Like Puck, she's a Great Spirit, but her specialty lies in Yin-type magic," she explained almost as if giving a lesson.

Internally contemplative, Puck's expression at that moment must have reminded him of the kind of magic Betty used, momentarily drawing him into thoughts.

"I'd like to meet her," Subaru quietly spoke from his throat. The meal went on normally.

While Emilia chatted, Roswaal avoided talking about work and focused on other topics. After the meal ended, Elara was taken by Rem to receive lessons. Subaru, guided by Rem, explored the mansion. Later, Rem left for another task.

After Rem, Subaru found himself alone in the corridors. As he wandered through the mansion's labyrinthine corridors, his eyes widened at the grandeur of this enormous structure.

"Although my main headquarters when I was the Purge King was larger," he murmured. He hadn't thought about the past for a long time, but this massive mansion revived memories of his past.

While wandering the corridors, a door gave him a peculiar feeling. A smirk appeared on his face. "She's here," he said to himself, holding and opening the door. In a large library beyond the door, there was a girl with yellow drill-like hair in the center of the room. With a slight sign of discomfort on her face, she said, "You seem quite bothersome, I suppose."

A knowing smile appeared on Subaru's face. "Hello, Beatrice," he greeted, savoring the encounter with the familiar librarian girl.

Beatrice showed a slight surprise on her face. "What are you—" she began to ask, but Subaru suddenly took a step towards her. "Invalid Step," Subaru murmured, and he appeared instantly in front of Beatrice.

"You've been waiting for me for a long time, haven't you? How many years has it been since you lost hope? A hundred, three hundred, or maybe four hundred?" Subaru asked with a calm and cheerful demeanor. However, he noticed Beatrice remained unresponsive. "Come on, give me a little smile," he urged. "After all, I am 'that person,' right?" he added with a wide grin.

Despite Subaru's unexpected reunion and playful approach, Beatrice seemed unable to shake off her astonishment. Subaru, despite her composed demeanor, attempted to lighten the atmosphere with a joke.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment

What do you think of Subaru's personality in the story?