10

Subaru went to the kitchen and frowned upon seeing Elara eating toast spread with honey and jam as a midday snack. He walked over, asking in a serious tone, "Elara, what are you eating?"

With crumbs around her mouth, Elara replied, "Toasted bread with honey and jam, Dad." She smiled, but her innocent look clashed with the food she was enjoying.

Subaru's expression tightened, his face soured. "So, things that decay teeth and raise blood sugar," he remarked, his tone slightly critical and concerned.

Expressing his concern about Elara's unhealthy snack, Subaru added, "Perhaps you should aim for a more balanced diet and healthier options. These kinds of things can harm your health in the long run."

Elara blinked innocently, "But Ram sister said it's okay," she responded.

Subaru's brows furrowed deeply at Elara's words. "Sure, Ram might have said so," he said, his inner concern subtly surfacing.

Just then, Ram entered with a glass of milk. She gently placed it in front of Elara, patting her head, "Would you like more? I can make it right away if you want," she offered. This action highlighted Ram's protective and caring attitude towards Elara once again.

Subaru stood in front of Ram, arms crossed, searching for meaning between the lines as he asked, "What do you think you're doing?"

Ram retorted with a teasing glance, "Oh, just feeding a little girl, Barusu," she said. A slight furrow appeared on her face, a challenge in her expression.

Subaru continued in a flat tone, "Giving her two packs of cigarettes would have the same effect. She should eat more nutritious things before indulging in sugar."

Ram responded to Subaru's critique with a faint smile, "Don't you have more important matters to attend to, Barusu?" Her brow furrowed a bit more, an air of mockery in her tone, "Go and protect Lady Emilia."

Subaru retorted, "That's not relevant," a smirk forming on his face, a glint in his eye. "Still, who wouldn't want to talk to someone as handsome, charismatic, and responsible as me?" he added, showcasing his confidence in a humorous manner.

Ram chuckled mockingly, "Barusu, you're both blind and stupid," she quipped, a smirk accompanying her words. "You're so wonderful that you should go chasing after skirts. Ram handles the tasks that require responsibility," she proclaimed with self-assurance. There was a mocking expression on Subaru's face as he tried to establish superiority with his words. "You really don't know your place, 'servant,'" he said, a slightly mocking tone in his voice.

Ram responded by raising her brows slightly, "Indeed, Ram is a servant," she stated. "What would you like for dinner tonight, Barusu? Something suitable for a sentient being?" she continued, maintaining a sarcastic tone. This caused a brief grimace on Subaru's face, a fleeting reminder of an old memory, but the feeling swiftly dissipated.

The banter between Subaru and Ram had turned into a sort of rivalry. Both tried to one-up each other, throwing jabs to justify their positions. Amidst these banter-turned-jokes, memories of the past and old habits were resurrected.

Elara, sitting at the table, was eating her toast and drinking her milk. She seemed almost accustomed to this odd situation. For her, the typical banter between Subaru and Ram was almost a part of their daily routine. Often, she'd listen silently and observe this scenario with her thoughts.

Occasionally, she'd eavesdrop on the tense dialogues between Subaru and Ram. In these situations, she'd often stay in the background, quietly residing in her own world. This familiar sight had almost become normal for her.

After Elara left, the tension between Ram and Subaru dissipated, replaced by seriousness. They both focused intently on each other, their eyes expressing seriousness.

Ram, with a calm voice, asked, "Any updates?"

Subaru, resolute, responded, "Yes, Rossweisse investigated the area. She mentions a hidden Shaman in the village."

There was a hint of anger in Ram's eyes; the term 'Shaman' bothered her, but she controlled her emotions, muttering, "Anything else?"

"I've spotted a few Witch Cultists in the south. They seem to be a small group sent ahead to prepare before the main force arrives," explained Subaru. Both seemed to understand the gravity of the situation. They were aware of the impending danger and needed to carefully evaluate this information.

Ram paused for a moment, then spoke calmly, "Ram wants to hear the plan."

Subaru, sporting a broad smile, almost challengingly, said, "The plan is simple. I mercilessly wipe out that scum. If more come, I eliminate them all without leaving a trace."

His eyes were filled with the cold determination of a warrior. "However," he continued, "the cruelty I show them is just the tip of the iceberg. The true terror lies within me, in my darkest depths. The impending threat will face my more terrifying side." Subaru's voice carried a hint of sadness and a touch of threat.

Rolling her eyes, Ram remarked, "Stop trying to look cool, Barusu; no one's watching."

Subaru withdrew tensely, as if his motivation had been shattered, "Would it kill you to support me just once?" he asked.

----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment and follow