✧.*One✧.*

≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫

The students filed into the classroom for a crucial moment. Each one dressed in their finest attire, recognizing the significance of the day. While the prevailing sentiment hinted at a competition between Coriolanus and Lillian for the scholarship, a flicker of hope persisted among the students, suggesting the possibility of an alternative path to securing the coveted award.

Dr. Gaul's laughter captivates the room, bringing about an expectant hush. As she begins her introduction, the palpable tension commands everyone's focus. Amidst the changed atmosphere, Lillian finds it hard to divert her attention from Coriolanus, sensing the impending competition for the scholarship.

Her concern deepens about the outcome of this crucial year. However, Lillian's focus sharpens when Coriolanus turns his gaze toward her. With a quick adjustment of her hair, she skillfully conceals any signs of scrutiny or concern, maintaining an air of indifference towards the boy's thoughts about her.

With her opening remarks concluded, Professor Highbottom assumes the spot Dr. Gaul vacated, unveiling the blueprint for the 10th annual Hunger Games. "As the reaping progresses live, I will assign a tribute to a capitol mentor," He swings his arm, acknowledging all of us "Behind the scenes, who must... persuade them to perform for the cameras."

Frozen in place, the brunette found herself immobilized, her only movement confined to the subtle shift of her eyes. As Coriolanus shifted his gaze towards Lillian, a concerned expression etched across his face, he sensed her shock, evident in the unsteady quiver of her legs. Watchful and apprehensive, Coriolanus kept a vigilant eye on her, fearing she might collapse. Swiftly, he tapped Arachne on the shoulder, never diverting his gaze from the unsettled Lillian.

Arachne's initial confusion melted away as she observed the distressed state of her sister. Though puzzled by Coriolanus's concern, she couldn't help but appreciate his attentive watchfulness in that moment.

Tapping Lillian on the shoulder, Arachne prepared for the potential unconscious flinch that followed. Lillian startled, let out a quiet jump that only Arachne and Coriolanus noticed, both concerned for her well-being. Coriolanus maintained a vigilant watch, ensuring she remained out of harm's way. While keeping an ear to what Highbottom was saying.

Festus and Felix voiced their protests, but Professor Highbottom dismissed them with a wave, resuming his speech. "Let the Reaping Ceremony begin!" The walls surrounding the students reflected like screens, revealing their future tributes. "District one boy goes to Livia Cardue." The anticipation heightened. "Girl goes to Palmyra Monty." The room tensed as everyone sat on the edge of their seats, eagerly awaiting the moment their own names would be called.

"District two male goes to Sejanus Plinth. The female tribute Sabyn goes to florus friend." Lillian zoned out, anticipating her own announcement. Finally, it came: "District Eight's girl will be mentored by Lillian Crane." Lillian's head shot up, scanning the walls to identify her assigned tribute. Sympathy enveloped the room, yet she felt a surge of excitement. She felt bad for the young girl, she couldn't be older than 12, she was innocent, and the capitol was taking that away from her.

"Coriolanus Snow, the mentor for District Twelve", was announced alongside his mentee, Lucy Gray. A wave of unrest swept through the crowd of the twelfth district as a snake went down the mayor's daughters shirt.

After the tributes were sorted, the students were allowed to mingle in the hall before leaving school for the night. Coriolanus lingered on the side, eager to catch Lillian's attention and check on her well-being.

Lillian distanced herself from her sister, appearing more angry than sad. As she walked past Coriolanus, he called out, "LILLIAN! wait up." She turned, surprised, and as her eyes met his, he gave a sly wave, walking over to her.

"What do you want blondie?" The girl asked, throwing the word blondie like it was an insult. Coriolanus, concerned about her well-being, couldn't proceed with his original question. "What happened?" he inquired, genuinely curious about her emotions. However, she remained headstrong, not ready to open up with just one inquiry. She answered the question with a quick "Nothing." trying to walk past him.

The blonde persisted, grabbing her hand before she could walk away. In silence, they continued down the empty hall, sharing an unspoken understanding that this conversation had to remain confidential, even if it meant nothing.

"Lillian, please tell me what's bothering you," he pleaded, releasing her hand as they reached a more secluded area. "I just don't understand why you want to know so bad," she answered with a small shrug.

He sighed, acknowledging the challenge, but his determination to uncover what troubled her remained. "Lillian, I'm just trying to help. What's wrong?" He asked one more time.

Lillian poured out her frustration about Arachne mocking Wovey, expressing empathy for the young tribute. "Arachne was making fun of Wovey. I know she probably won't win the games but she's still human, and she looks so nice, I can't wait to meet her. She's young, she shouldn't be subject to so much at this age." Lillian started to tear up in frustration. Coriolanus just nodded understandingly.

"Hey, I get it. I don't think Lucy Gray is going to win either. But she's also not as young as Wovey," he said, attempting to console her.

A moment of silence lingered, and Lillian wiped her cheeks, readying herself for a more optimistic mood. "Meet me at the front of the school tomorrow; we'll talk about plans." Coriolanus said as he walked away, bringing Lillian back to the present.