✧.*Twelve✧.*

≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫≪ °❆° ≫

Lucy Gray emerges from a tunnel, her solitude disrupted by the staggering figure of Jessup following behind. Initially appearing injured, it becomes evident that he's unwell. As he swipes at the sun, foaming at the mouth, a troubling realization dawns on Coriolanus—something beyond mere injury is afflicting Jessup. The unfolding scene raises questions about the nature of the illness and its implications for those involved.

Lysistrata murmurs that Jessup has rabies. Rabies returned in the Capitol during the war, when people weren’t vaccinating their pets. In the auditorium, students are terrified. Some mutter that he brought rabies from the districts and will infect the Capitol.

Coriolanus watches Jessup pursue Lucy Gray, who climbs the cornucopia and climbs to the top. Coriolanus orders water for Lucy Gray as Jessup starts to climb after her. His coordination is poor, and Coriolanus hopes he dies soon.

The drone approaches with a vital bottle of water, but Jessup, in his agitated state, swings at it with a makeshift board, causing the bottle to shatter. Coriolanus recalls the fear of water associated with rabies, intensifying the urgency. Coriolanus begs Lysteria to send her tribute water, he knows what it'll do to him.

Cornered by Jessup, Lucy Gray faces a critical moment. The drone swoops in, releasing a water bottle into his chest. Panic consumes Jessup, leading to a stumble and a dramatic fall from the the cornucopia to the floor. The impact echoes through the audio, capturing the chilling sound of bones cracking. Lucy Gray descends, assuring Jessup of safety as she tenderly strokes his hair until his final breath, transforming the arena into an unexpected stage for both fear and compassion.

The sharp sound of bones breaking startled Lillian, causing an abrupt jump. Coriolanus, already on his feet from the tense moments with his tribute, swiftly approached, gently taking hold of Lillian's shoulders in an attempt to provide comfort and soothe her nerves. In that moment, a connection formed amidst the echoes of distress in the arena.

In the ensuing hours, uniformity settled over both the arena and the school, with no noteworthy events to break the boredom. Lillian and Coriolanus sought refuge in conversation and a few card games, creating a semblance of diversion in the absence of any dramatic developments.

Amidst uncertainty, Lillian contemplates the fate of her tribute, Wovey, speculating on the possibility of her being lost or worse in a tunnel. No one has seen her in hours, Lillian is just glad she can see corals group.

The morning unfolds with Lucky initiating a discussion, where he interviews Coriolanus regarding Jessup's rabies scare. Coriolanus commends Lysistrata's quick thinking, highlighting Lucy Gray's exceptional loyalty and bravery, traits that defy the typical district demeanor and align more with Capitol sophistication.

Post-lunch, Coral, Mizzen, and Tanner converge on Lamina. Coral and Mizzen ascend separate posts, provoking growing agitation in Pup. Tanner, in a strategic move, throws tridents to aid the duo. Despite Lamina seemingly incapacitating Mizzen by breaking his knee, Coral emerges victorious, claiming Lamina's life. Coral assists Mizzen down, only to betray Tanner by stabbing him in the back.

The unexpected turn prompts a lesson from Domitia, Tanner's mentor, as she shares with Lucky the cautionary wisdom of being selective about whom to trust in the intricate dynamics of the Games. The arena, a stage for alliances and betrayals, unfolds its ruthless lessons.

Reaper, at last, emerges from the tunnels, orchestrating a solemn tableau by arranging the deceased tributes in a somber line. With a touch of reverence, he drapes a piece of the flag over their lifeless forms, a poignant gesture in the aftermath of the arena's trials. Adorning himself with the remaining fragment of Lamina's flag as a cape, Reaper pays a tribute of his own to the fallen.

A loud alarm grabs the room's attention. "There's breaking news from Dr. Gaul," Lucky announces, redirecting everyone toward the screen.

"Breaking news that Felix Ravenstill has succumbed to his injuries last night. Those rebels have killed Felix, and we will not let them get away with that." Dr. Gaul declares.

For Lillian, the news is unbearable—Felix was her best friend, always there for her. Their friendship mirrors the bond she shares with Coriolanus. Growing up as neighbors, their parents also shared a close friendship. While their parents envisioned a future for Felix with Arachne, Felix developed feelings for Lillian. Despite exploring a romantic connection, they decided to remain best friends.

Coriolanus observes a tear rolling down Lillian's cheek and walks over, gently wiping it away. Being well aware of the closeness between them, he reflects on years of watching their dynamics unfold. Felix's protective nature towards Lillian added a layer of complexity to their interactions, often translating into a challenging dynamic for Coriolanus due to the competition that naturally evolved between him and Lillian.

"The punishment will end with a rainbow of destruction." echoes the ominous message on the TV before it reverts to the arena feed.

All Lillian could do was think back to what Dr. Gaul said to Clemmy. The snakes wouldn't attack if they knew your scent. Wovey touched the paper and held it for a few minutes, Lillian just hoped that was enough to keep Wovey alive.

Lillian and Coriolanus share a knowing glance, realizing that they are the sole bearers of the cryptic meaning behind those words. The weight of this shared knowledge adds an element of secrecy and foreboding, hinting at a concealed plan or repercussion that only they comprehend. In the unfolding drama of the Games, their unique understanding of the situation deepens the intrigue and complexity of their roles.