Twelve

With a serious look on her face Aponi approached the entrance of the largest tent that sat just a little outside form the rest of the village.

After your nightly interruption a few more natives had risen from their sleep. Curious eyes watched as you waited for someone to grant you entrance.

There was no fear to be felt. No hatred to be offended by. People were just curious to know what you wanted. And why it was important enough to disrespect their scared land.

Shower rain turned into a soft breeze. It was cold, so cold that your body started to tremble all over. Your lips started to shiver.

But all you do was keep an eye on the entrance of the tent. Behind it flickered the shadows of people in the orange light of a fire.

Voices argued, calm but also persistent to defend their own standing points.

Suddenly, a small little hand tugged at the edge of your shirt. Torn from your thoughts you blinked and looked down.

A kid shyly smiled at you. With a shimmer of excitement in those young eyes the kid offered you a bundle of fabric.

Hesitantly, you eyed it before accepting. To thank the kid you smiled and nodded.

It chuckled and ran off to disappear inside another tipi. The mother stretched her neck. Your hazes met and she smiled to assure you that this was a gesture of friendliness.

One hand pressed to your chest you thanked her as well.

"Come.", Aponi pushed her head back outside to call you into the tipi of the tribes chief. "Let me speak. But don't be rude."

You weren't quite sure what she meant by that since you've already disrespected your side of the agreement that you had with the tribe.

But if you were sure as hell about one things it was the fact that you didn't want to cause more trouble than was needed.

With your gaze lowered and your lips pressed into a thin line you stepped into the tent and bowed your head to the oldish man who stood next to a fire pit.

Immediately, the cold that paralysed your limbs started to fade and the feeling of being alive returned to your body. You could feel the warmth of your own blood that ran through your veins.

"I greet you.", you said with your voice lowered and a hand pressed to your chest. "Please accept my deepest apologies for coming here. I did not intent to violate our agreement."

Aponi frowned, obviously a little irritated since you could have just not come in the first place if you didn't have any intention of disrespecting her people.

She translated to the chief, who frowned in response as well. As his mouth opened a voice followed that sounded like the roaring of thunder.

It was powerful yet not unnatural. More like a higher power that made one feel respect. The way he spoke was calm and almost wise.

Your nervousness eased a little since it appeared like the chief had no interest in sending you away without listening to your request.

Aponi sighed after he was done talking and turned to you.

"He's displeased that you... dis... respect... No.", she curled her lips, displeased that she lacked the words in such an important moment. "You were good. Now you're not. He's not happy about it."

A wave of guilt washed over you. Even though you had only ever met the chief once before, the day you had agreed to the deal he had proposed, you felt like you had let him down.

"I- I wouldn't have come here if it weren't urgent.", you tried to find the right words to emphasise that there had been no other option. "I'm desperate."

She frowned.

"Desperate?"

"Yeah it's... uh... I had no other choice."

"I know what desperate means.", she replied a little sharp. "We've been many times. Always when outsiders came here."

The beating of your heart started to get faster again. It felt like time ran through your fingers like sand. But it wasn't your life that you had to bargain for.

Which didn't help with being less on edge in this moment.

"Aponi, someone came to my home this night.", your gaze wandered to the chief who listened closely, almost as if he understood every single word you said.

"Your guest is... our problem?", she asked with her eyebrows knitted together. "Are they here?"

"No. But...", you sucked in a sharp breath to bring up the courage to meet the chief's gaze. "I have a guest. He's dying. I need your help."

"You-!", Aponi fell silent as soon as the chief's hand rose.

The expression on his middle-aged face was a neutral one though there could be seen some emotions in those brown eyes of his.

His head tilted to the side while he judged the expression that was easy to read in your eyes.

"You are desperate.", it surprised you to hear him talk with a rather British accent.

Struck by surprise, your eyebrows rose.

It made him chuckle softly. It sounded kind. And wise. But the most important thing was he seemed to be a man of justice.

The chief was willing to offer help. If the reason given was worthy to him.

"I-...", you had to swallow to keep your words from trembling. "Please. I know I'm not one of your friends. And I know you owe me nothing. But there is a man and he's dying."

Interest crossed his face.

"And he deserves to live?", he asked.

Goosebumps chased up your spine.

"I don't know.", you admitted with a slight shake of your head. "I don't know if he's a good man. I don't know if he'll repay your kindness. But his wounds are infected and I can't bring him to town."

"Why not?", Aponi frowned. "Settlers help their own."

You shook your head.

"I'm not even sure if he's...", you hesitated to voice your thoughts since it felt wrong but also necessary to help with context. "His skin is darker than yours. He's a Black man."

"Enslaved?", the chief asked.

"No. I don't think so. He's... a man of colour but his hair, the way he dresses. It reminds me of your people. Natives. He seems to be both. And the settlers won't help either of the two. You're the only one I could turn to... I don't know what to do..."