Twenty-Five

"Can you ride?", you asked with a worried look on your face as Charles mounted your horse.

The movement made him twist his face but he pushed down a low sound and pressed a hand to his ribs.

"No other choice.", he said and shrugged it off.

You locked eyes with him. Your hand moved to rest on his thigh so that he wasn't able to slip away before you had said what needed to be said.

"Charles, I really appreciate what you're doing.", you smiled at him, soft and grateful. "But please don't put yourself in harms way."

A long breath escaped his nose.

"You don't have to worry about me.", he patted your hand, somewhat awkward yet with this spark in his eyes that told that secretly he was glad you wanted to look out for him.

"But I do. Not just because I got you through the night. This is not your business. If you don't want to partake in it you can step away. No judgement."

For a brief moment his gaze wander off to the edge of the forest that cut through the night like a long strand of pitch black spikes.

Thoughts crossed his face. He considered.

But in the end Charles fell victim to his own nature. He was too good hearted to leave. Especially when this was a matter about people he shared a heritage with.

This wasn't just any matter. To him, it was personal.

"I'll try to be back as quick as I can.", his hand wrapped around your fingers to give them a gentle squeeze.

"Don't overdo it. I'll try and win you as much time as possible. Wait until you loose me in the dark."

With a hum, he nodded and let go of your hand. As he did so, you could feel how the cold of the night seeped into your hand and goosebumps covered its back.

Why did you want to keep holding him?

It was equally unsettling as it was understandable how fast he had grown on you. He was such a calm human, you wanted to be friends with him.

Although it would have been unwise to forget that he was just some random man.

Your fingers curled into loose fists as you stepped away to head for the door. One last time you threw a glance over your shoulder.

Perhaps it was just a coincidence, or maybe he had intended for it to happen, but Charles' deep brown eyes met yours.

It was but a second but it seemed to slow down tome.

There was so much confidence in his eyes, so much dedication. He knew that this was the only way and he knew what side he wanted to fight on.

And somehow, for whatever reason he might have had, he admired you for your courage to do the right thing. To him it didn't matter that you weren't path of the tribe, it didn't matter that you lived like the settlers.

To him it mattered that you were doing the right thing. As simple of a reason that might have been, it was enough for Charles to like you.

And that reason, that was written in the gentle brown of his eyes, made you feel relieved. Relieved and satisfied with your own choices in life.

It was a rewarding feeling. One that filled your chest with warmth.

Quickly, you made your way outside. But you couldn't help but show the smile that spread on your lips, slowly but steadily.

A soft breeze caressed the treetops and made them whistle a soft song.

Even though it wasn't smart to make it obvious that you were aware of being watched, you took a moment to look around.

Darkness was an advantage and a disadvantage equally. Just how you could use it to hide, the enemy could use it to remain unseen.

But it seemed like the new sheriff hadn't made the best choice with his henchmen. Admirably, they hid well but once you noticed the faint shimmer of an oil lamp in the distance, you knew where they were.

And they hadn't even picked a good spot to hide. Instead of waiting somewhere near the forest they sat along the small road that led down the hill towards the town nearby.

From their position the trees and hills blocked their vision towards the barn. They wouldn't see Charles leaving. Especially not when you distracted them by taking a stroll into town.

A cold shiver crawled down your spine as the thought crossed your mind.

It had been quite some while since you've last paid the small settlement a visit. It wasn't really big, most of the people who had settled there were poor seamstresses and farmers who grew crops for Blackwater, a bigger town two days away.

But just like many people who kind of lived away from communities, your presence wasn't welcome all that much. Most people tolerated you.

But you weren't one of the townspeople.

Lost in thoughts your hand traveled to the hand of your pants to feel for the revolver. Cold metal nestled into your palm and send shivers down your spine.

Small stones crunched below your soles with every step you took. It smelled of burned oil and smoke, mixed with dried meat.

Your eyes traveled across the street, just far enough to see the edge of the light in which the shadows of two people moved.

They didn't follow. Not yet.

Instead, their heads moved to check the house. Obviously it would have been foolish to leave and make the house look empty. They knew that you were two people and if one was gone, the other had to stay behind.

You had left the oil lamp burning, not high but enough to create the illusion that there was still someone home. Clarence was also still inside so whenever he roamed the rooms his shadow made it seem like you and Charles were talking.

The beating of your heath pounded against your chest. For a brief moment it felt like air was tied inside your throat.

Then, finally, you could hear how the two people started to move towards you. With a satisfied smile on your lips, you lowered your gaze and started to make your way down the hill.