Forty-Three

"It's not far anymore.", Aponi's voice trembled with unknown emotions.

Even though you've known her for quite a few years low you've never witnessed her like this before. She used to be so calm and collected, levelheaded. Mere weeks ago you would have thought she wasn't able to show such raw feelings.

But there she was, upset and on edge. Like an animal trapped in a cage.

Your eyes jumped to the side to meet Charles'. His horse stood next to yours, head hanging low, almost disappearing between branches and green of trees.

Shadows embraced his face. Both the ones that the trees caused and the darkness that seemed to show from his inside out.

His grip tightened on his reins.

The reform school wasn't far from the Canadian border, located in a hidden valley between two hills and a large patch of trees and thick greenery.

It seemed like the two countries shared the facility. That did not throw a good light on Canada, which seemed to be Charles' escape of choice.

Two flags decorated the ranch that consisted of a large main house, some stables and smaller huts to host the natives that had been send off to school them how the settlers intended.

It was surprising how normal everything looked from the outside. Just a small community with many children and a few adults. All of them were native or black. Some even both.

The only exception were the armed men that roamed the area as if they were to protect a US army base. A strange sight, those navy blue uniforms right in the middle of all these plain looking people dressed in simple cotton and linen.

Your gaze wandered up, just high enough to look past the top of the hill. There it was, located right at the edge of a cliff that stretched along the skyline.

There was the Canadian American border.

If you would have wanted to you could have climbed your way to another country. Charles followed your gaze and for a brief moment it seemed like he was considering it.

You had positioned the wagon a few miles north, behind the ranch. From there it wasn't far to Canada. And even though there seemed to be no place for peace either, Charles' mind was still set on leaving America.

He had asked you to go with him but insisted that you weren't obligated to.

But how would you have been able to deny him this simple request?

Your heart was already so attached to him he might as well could have become a part of your bloodstream.

You met his gaze. He returned the worry in your eyes with a soft nod of determination. He still wanted to hold onto the plan, help the natives, burn the place to the ground and then head for the border.

Everything preferably with you by his side.

"Looks easy enough.", you said and turned your eyes away once more. "Get in, shoot everyone that needs shooting and then run for it."

"Easier said than done.", he said with a sour undertone. "We might take casualties."

"We need to free our children.", the sound of Aponi's voice gave away that she wouldn't back down, not know and not ever. "And everyone who needs help shall be helped."

The expression on her face wasn't just made of the urge to free her people. It was the knowledge that, eventually, she wouldn't return from this place. Perhaps she'd die today simply because she had been born under the wide sky to people who preferred to travel with the bisons rather than build solid walls.

It drove the urge to vomit up her throat and her stomach twisted. The very stomach in which her child grew. The only thing that remained of her beloved on this earth.

She couldn't be harmed. Not if you could prevent that. You owed her this much after all her years of companionship.

Down below, voices grew all of a sudden. Figures moved and horses neighed. A woman screamed. Cries filled the air as shots rang out.

Aponi flinched. She moved on her horse, the urge to rush to her people's aid made her heart burn and her eyes water.

A few days before, you would never have dared to believe she could one day look so desperate. But now she was just a shadow of the proud woman who had accompanied you through the holy land all those years.

Now she was just a child who had to drink from blood-soaked rivulets and walk on mountains of ashes. She was to face the sad remains of her heritage.

And she wouldn't even have the chance to honour the dead. The settlers would not allow her to mourn. For them, prayers spoken by the fire were the work of the devil and not an act of human love.

Charles exchanged a glance with you, nodded and turned his horse to disappear between the trees. Plan was to attack from two sides at the same time, front and back and cut the settlers off.

If they'd call for reinforcements your little group would be doomed. As of now your only chances of success were drastically higher through the element of surprise and well thought through scenarios.

A single mistake and everything was for nothing.

You believed there was no need for bloodshed. But at the same time you were willing to kill a man if it bought the freedom of many.

Your eyes followed the rest of the group that started to scatter apart into each direction to get into position. It didn't take long and you and Aponi rained the only two who looked upon the school.

A riot seemed to form. And it was answered with violence and guns.

"Aponi.", you placed a hand on her shoulder, soft and careful as to not offend her.

She glanced at you from the corner of her eyes. The expression, the darkness on her face, were probably meant to be directed towards the people below.

But she couldn't contain it.

"I won't turn my back on them.", her voice was as cold yet dedicated as ever.

"I would never ask such things of you.", you insisted with a sorry look on your face. "But... this isn't just about you. There's a child you need to keep save now."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"But I do. For once I must ask you to stay back and watch."

"How could I?!"

"Aponi.", you looked her dead in the eyes. "If you die that child will die with you. And I won't let that happen."

"I don't need your protection.", she hissed, baring her teeth.

"This is not for you. It's for my own selfish peace of mind. Please."