Thirty-Six

The wind chased through treetops and made leaves whistle as the caravan passed through a thin passage that led up a mountain.

Charles took the lead, making sure that there was no danger ahead while also guiding the bull along to make sure he wouldn't slip and fall into the depths.

A shiver chased down your spine as you threw a glance down. It was pitch dark, only shadows and different shades of grey appearing to your bare eye.

At the edge of the horizon light cut through the dark. It was barely more than a red strand, calling for the next morning to arrive in a few hours.

Your eyes wandered on. You couldn't say why but for some reason you hoped to catch a glimpse of the remains of your old home one last time, even if it were but a pile of ashes and dying embers.

But nothing. The night lay motionless across the land.

Only the faint smell of smoke was in the air.

"Hey...", Charles called softly for your attention.

Torn from your thoughts you turned your head to meet his gaze. A soft expression was on his face, accompanied by a kind of shimmer in his eyes that you would have called loving.

"I'm fine.", you assured him and did a gesture for him to move on. "I don't want to stop here. Let's hurry to the other side."

With a nod, he turned around and urged his horse to bring the last few miles along the side of the mountain behind them.

The bull started to struggle with the weight of the wagon. It wasn't heavy but limited his movements for quite a bit. And it made him slower, significantly so.

Patiently, you waited until he had made it around the corner and followed.

As your eyes were touched by the golden lights of campfires, your breath hitched inside your throat. Clutching the rains, you got your horse to run and join Charles' side.

"Charles!", you gasped as he was within hearing range.

"I know.", his face was as neutral as it used to be as he let his gaze wandered along the many tents and fires that were spread across the wide land of green grass.

"It's Aponi's tribe.", you said. "I recognise their tents."

For a brief moment Charles just stared. Then his eyes glanced at you from the corner of his vision.

"So you want to join them?", he asked, his voice low and kind of distant.

He wasn't bothered that you had caught up to the tribe. But it also didn't appear like he was thrilled either. He still had no intentions of joining them permanently.

But you and him agreed in silence that it was best to join forces for the night.

"Let me talk to them first.", you said and got your horse to walk down the small hill.

He waited, his attention fixed onto you, when all of a sudden he made his horse follow and joined your side.

Confused, you eyed him.

"It's best we do this together.", he met your gaze and smiled softly. "Since we both are around. I don't want them to think I have ill intentions."

Understanding, you hummed. Of course he was right. It was best to inform the tribe about all the guests that were camping around. In case they saw Charles and mistook him for a settler.

Although that was hardly possible in his case. Even though he was mixed, there was still undoubtedly native blood running through his veins.

A soft expression made you sigh as your horse walked so close to his that you were able to caress the back of his hand. He flinched at the touch, slightly pulled away only to change his mind and grab your hand instead.

It seemed like Charles wasn't used to physical affection. Or any affection at all. He knew how to speak softly, lovingly, but only in certain moments.

You didn't blame him, although you couldn't help but wish he'd approach you more often. Almost every minute you longed for another kiss of his lips, be able to bury your face at his shoulder and feel the warmth of his body on yours.

But Charles didn't initiate. At least not yet. So it was best to just let him have all the time he needed. You didn't wish to push him away by clinging to him.

The warmth of his fingers seeped into your skin as he held your hand with dedication. Although he was unsure, he didn't want to let go.

Your eyes lingered on the tents as he suddenly made his horse stop. Yours reacted and slowed down as well.

You frowned and so did Charles.

"Something..."

"Doesn't feel right.", he ended your sentence. "Maybe we should head back and just move on."

You looked at him.

He was tired. Not just his body but also his mind. His eyes were heavy, shoulder slurped and he barely managed to sit up straight on his horse.

He needed rest. And you felt the need to check on his wounds.

"I'll go alone.", you said and breathed a kiss to the back of his hand before letting go. "Go back and set up camp, will you?"

With a soft smile, you turned your horse and approached the edge of the camp. The closer you came, the louder the voices grew.

At first it sounded like a fight, people who argued. Then, screams mixed into the noise.

All of a sudden people whined and cried.

Concerned, you slowed your horse down. Out of reflex your hand wandered down to lay on the handle of your revolver.

More people cried.

Your skin started to crawl. The beating of your heart dug its claws into the inner walls of your throat. It made you choke a breath.

A few tents passed by.

Suddenly, golden light cut through the dark. A campfire. Warmth caressed your cheeks.

Outlines of people awoke.

"Aponi?", you called into the storm of cries and tears.

A head turned. Aponi's eyes were smudged and red with tears.