Fifty

If anger could turn men into monsters then Charles was a saint. As he approached the man who stumbled across tree trunks and stones, his face was as blank as a sheet.

There was no anger in those deep brown eyes of his, no wish to jump at him from behind and tear him apart. No, he wanted to face him like a man.

He wanted to be the last thing he saw.

Out of reflex his fingers wrapped around his shotgun. He took a deep breath, his chest tightened. But he didn't pull.

"Clark!", his voice thundered through the emptiness of the forest.

Startled, the sheriff stumbled and crashed to the ground. Immediately, he turned on his back, pulled his weapon and fired a shot without hesitation.

Charles stopped. His head tilted to the side.

The bullet grazed his cheek, leaving a thin cut from which blood poured.

He didn't flinch, his breath did not falter. All Charles did was stare that bastard down as if it were enough to slice his throat.

Clark's hand trembled. He looked Charles dead in the eye and knew that there was no turning back no more.

Charles remained unmoved. He just stared and for the very first time you've known him you understood how someone could he frightened of this man.

He had presented himself in a gentle way to you because he had wanted to. But right now he used the way he looked, the way he was build to his advantage.

And it worked.

Clark tried to reload the revolver but his fingers were so jittery that the bullets slipped from his grip and scattered all over the ground.

Immediately he grabbed one of the shiny bullets and tore a hand full of grass out the ground along with it. He cursed, shook off the dirt and let go of the bullet as well.

"Relax.", Charles said and it was so bone chilling that Clark froze on the spot.

"You..!", Clark gasped and pointed his obviously empty gun at Charles.

"Me.", Charles didn't flinch.

Clark sucked in a sharp breath.

"You should have died. Just like everyone."

Charles threw a glance over his shoulder. You stretched your neck around the trunk of the tree and your eyes met. A warm shiver chased down your spine.

This was the man you wanted.

A soft breath escaped you and your lips formed a silent plea.

Do it.

Clark was about to jump up as Charles pulled his shotgun on him. Without hesitation he fired. A bang chased through the silence. Birds were scared away and somewhere in the distance a deer jumped.

Blood splattered everywhere. The smell of burned flesh was in the air.

A deep breath escaped Charles as he put the gun back into the holster. All at once his shoulders relaxed and he felt like sinking to his knees.

"Charles!", your voice cut through the fog of his brain.

Without thinking he turned on his heel and chased down the small hill to wrap his arms around you. He pulled you flush against his chest, warmth seeped into your trembling body.

"Can we go?", you asked with a soft breath.

Your cheek pressed against his shoulder. There was so much pain but it also felt like it only made this hug even sweeter.

Bitter sweet.

"The border isn't far.", he pulled away to look you in the eyes. "We could make it before anyone notices we're gone."

Your fingers dug into the fabric of his vest.

It was such a sweet thought that made your heart beat faster.

Canada.

That sounded like paradise on earth. A new start, fresh and just how you wanted it to be. You could create a new life. With Charles.

But something in your chest stung.

"Aponi...", you whispered. "I tied her to a tree..."

Confused, Charles frowned.

"What?", he asked.

"I tied her to a tree. To keep her from fighting."

"Why would you do that?"

"She's pregnant... I... I don't know what I wanted to reach by doing that but I couldn't let her risk the life of the kid.", helplessly you looked at him.

For a moment Charles examined your face and saw deep regret.

"You know that wasn't your choice to make.", he said.

You didn't argue with him about that. It wasn't a debate. He was right. As most times.

"We'd loose time if we go back now.", he said and locked eyes with you. "Fine... let's go."

Despite the injuries you couldn't help but try and run. Pain tore your muscles apart. Nausea kept up your throat and your head started spinning.

Charles was right behind you. He even tried to catch up but you managed to be so quick on your feet that he had worry written all over his face.

"(Y/N)!", he called out. "Calm down!"

Your breath hitched in your throat. The beating of your heart was heavy and almost agonising.

What if Aponi was found by surviving settlers?

She'd be helpless. Defenceless. All because of you.

"(Y/N)!", Charles' voice was only a faint memory in the back of your mind as you stumbled down a hill and started to slither towards the ground.

A dull pain spread in your ankle as you got back on your feet way too quick.

"Aponi!", you called out, forgetting you had silenced her.

Sweat ran down your back. But all at once your feet froze. It was so sudden that you almost stumbled over your own feet.

Your lips parted.

She shook her head.

"You're bleeding.", Aponi stood in front of you, reins of the bison in hand.

Behind him he pulled the wagon. Both cows were there too and Charles' horse.

"You're fine.", you had to swallow hard, tears burned in the corners of your eyes.

Relief took weight off your shoulders as she offered you the reins. You took them.

"Thank you.", she said, her eyes dark. "I heard we lost blood."

"I'm sorry."

Charles managed to catch up to you.

"Aponi.", he was out of breath.

She nodded.

"Many died today. But I survived.", her hand reached down to her stomach. "And we have our children. Maybe... if you want to..."

Your heart grew heavy again.

"No.", with a soft smile you grabbed Charles' hand. "I'm sorry, but I can't. It's time to leave."

She smiled.

"Good life.", she said.

You smiled as well.

"All the hope.", you agreed as she disappeared between trees to reunite with her people. Let's go to Canada, Charles."