Eighteen

In utter disbelief you stared at Charles as he held onto the pillar of the fence while sweat ran down his face, leaving salty trials that shimmered in the sunlight.

His chest rose so slow and heavy that you could physically feel the effort he needed to breathe.

"You're walking.", you repeated, looking at him.

His gaze lowered he let a hand slide over his chest as if he needed to make sure that he wasn't imagining the pain and there was an actual cause to it.

"You saved my life.", there was disbelief in his words but gratefulness in his brown eyes.

"You shouldn't be walking.", without thinking you took a step towards him, hands raised to offer him support.

He backed away, thin, dark eyebrows knitted together.

You stopped.

"You don't want to be touched?", you tilted your head.

"I'm... I'm fine.", he said with a nod. "Thank you."

Confused, you frowned.

"What do you mean you're fine? You're bleeding still. We gotta get you inside.", again, you tried to approach him but he backed away one more step.

This time he raised a finger. It wasn't in a way to ask you to stay away but in a warning manner. He would react if you decided to disrespect his request.

Defeated, you let out a sigh and put your hands into the air.

"Alright, let's all just take a deep breath.", you sucked in some air. "You're injured. Badly. We need to get you warm. Washed, preferably."

Groaning and pulling a face, Charles lowered himself to sit on one of the stool that you always kept outside in case you needed to milk the cows.

One of his hands reached to his side, right where his ribs were. Pain distorted his face. Beads of sweat made him shimmer and drenched the bandages.

He must have had a high fever.

You watched him suck in a few rustling breaths before bending down so that he was forced to look at you.

"How are we feelin' big guy?", you asked.

Pulling a face, he curled his plump lips and shook his head slightly. The movement made strands of his brown hair fall over his shoulders. They seemed soft, silky but in a more natural way rather than straightened.

"I need to get back to my gang.", his voice trembled with strain. "I told them I'd be gone for just a few days..."

"Hm... Any chance they send someone to find you?"

A soft snort escaped him. It was hard to tell if it was because he was amused about that question or because there was no way anyone would look for him.

"They don't even know where I went...", his lungs rustled.

He was in visible pain whenever he moved ever so slightly. Even breathing seemed to be more of a burden than a necessity at this point.

Deep dark spots covered the white bandages as you let your gaze wander down to check on his condition. Even though he was up and walking his life was still on the line and it showed.

You weren't even quite sure how he managed to move at all.

"So, just that we are on the same page.", you squatted in front of him. "You didn't tell your gang where you went, got shot and now you want to leave while bleeding worse than a slaughtered pig?"

A low sound made his chest vibrate. Almost immediately his body cramped and made him bend over in suffering.

"I didn't plan on getting shot.", he pressed out between pearly white teeth.

"I can imagine better options too...", slowly, you reached out to touch the back of his hand with two fingers until he allowed you to show him where to press down to ease the pressure in his chest. "How did it happen?"

His face relaxed a bit.

"I was out to hunt.", he said.

"Hunt what exactly? I don't recall a single animal that's armed with a shotgun."

Now he couldn't help but show a hint of amusement. It was thin and simple yet so much more powerful since it was the very first time you saw him react in a positive manner.

He seemed the type of guy who preferred to stick to himself. So it was good to know that you weren't entirely irritating him.

After all he probably would spent a few more days in your home. If not weeks.

"I hunted the...", he needed to stop to not yelp in pain.

"Easy. You're pretty busted. Can't even imagine how you made it outside."

"I fell a few times... But as I was saying... I hunted for someone."

Your eyebrows rose.

"Someone? You mean people?", your eyes wandered up and down his body. "Are you the kinda guy to hunt for bounties?"

His lips twitched and a hint of teeth appeared.

"I'm the kinda guy who has a bounty."

"Ah. You're an outlaw."

"You sound surprised."

You shrugged.

"Kinda?", you tilted your head again to look him up and down just once more before he started to think you were a creep. "You look..."

"Not like someone who earns honest money.", he shrugged. "I know."

"No that's not what I meant...", you cleared your throat, looking away to avoid the glimmer that now grew inside those deep brown eyes of his. "We should get you inside. It might be warm but you'll be freezing in no time."

With a gentle pat against his elbow you wanted to help him up. But Charles refused and remained seated like a rock between high grown grass.

"I need to get back to my gang.", he instead. "I appreciate your help. But I need to leave."

Slightly annoyed, you let out a deep sigh, threw your head back and sighed.

"Look at you!", you groaned with a gesture. "You're not going anywhere like that. At least rest a few hours."

Unable to grasp why you were so persistent, Charles glanced up at you, frowning. A question shimmered in his eyes.

"Why are you so nice to me?", he asked.

You shrugged.

"Because you're in need of help?"

"I hardly know you."

"And that means you're not deserving of help?", you bend down, so passive aggressive and close that he leaned back to avoid your nose brushing his. "The natives who inhabit this land were kind to me when I needed help. I think they are right in their ways. As long as you don't disrespect me, you deserve kindness. It's that simple."

"It's naive.", Charles frowned.

"It's being human."