Twenty-Four

"What are you doing?", Charles asked, eyes filled with concern, as you made your way into the barn to saddle your horse.

Trapped in a state of upset, your fingers trembled and failed to tied the saddle belt tight enough for the saddle to not turn upside down and hand from the stomach of your horse.

A soft curse crossed your lips. You needed to take a deep breath, closed your eyes. With yours lips pressed into a thin line you raised your hands, eyes still closed and turned to him.

"I don't want to be rude.", you needed to force your voice to remain calm. "But there's no way I'll let that shit slide."

"Agreed.", Charles' hands on your shoulders made your eyes snap open. "But what's the plan?"

You shrugged.

"I'm not in the state of mind for a plan right now."

Understanding, he let go off your shoulders and raised his hands to show that he wouldn't be in your way. All he wanted was to he led in on whatever it was you intended to do next.

He felt like he owed you. And then there was that part of him, that side of his heritage, that committed him. As a Native American man he didn't have to pick a side. He was part of one.

Sucking in a sharp breath, you let out a groan, and massaged the bride of your nose with two fingers.

"Charles I- fuck..."

"Hey. Take a deep breath.", with a soft expression, or at least soft for what you had seen so far, he tilted his head so that you were able to meet his eyes.

He really was a large fella. Not just tall. But large. Like a bear.

Or a bison.

The thought kind of comforted you in those irritating moments. With yours eyebrows curled and a helpless expression you couldn't help but smile at this giant of a man.

Why did you wonder how it would feel like to be with him all of a sudden?

He seemed like he could be one out of two things. Either very gentle and understanding or like a barrel full of explosives.

Either way, you found both ideas quite appealing.

What a strange thing to think about a stranger...

As he took note of the smile that brightened your (S/C) face, something in his eyes moved. His lips twitched also, but he swallowed hard instead, cleared his throat and stood up straight again.

His gaze moved away from you. Almost as if he tried to avoid your eyes.

Somehow that made something inside your chest pull together.

Perhaps he didn't like you after all. In the end, you were just a stranger that he owed his life to. He felt guilty and obligated to stick around until he had paid off his debt.

It was foolish to think that there could be something like a basis of mutual enjoyment of each other's company.

A wave of embarrassment made your cheeks feel like someone had set them on fire. Your eyes lowered to avoid his sight as much as he avoided yours.

"I need to warn the tribe.", you said after a moment to break the silence in which you were convinced your heartbeat could be heard. "If there's any kind of truth to those bastards words Aponi needs to know."

Again, you turned to saddle your horse. This time your hands were more sturdy, less influenced by the rush of adrenaline that pumped the blood through your veins.

You were about to mount your horse as Charles suddenly grabbed the reins. It wasn't a firm grim, you could have slipped away if you wanted to.

But as your eyes met his once more you knew that there was something weighting down on his shoulders.

How intelligent could one's eyes be?

Somehow the brow of his gaze seemed to hold all the knowledge that the word outside of save walls could desire.

"What? You're gonna talk me out of it?", you asked with a sour shrug.

He hesitated.

"No.", his hand moved and, maybe on purpose, maybe accidentally, the tips of his fingers brushed the back of your hand.

This simple touch chased lightning across your entire skin. Small hairs stood up straight.

"What is it then?", you asked, one eyebrow raised.

"You're going to listen?", a hint of a sarcastic smile appeared on his plump lips.

"Maybe. Give it a shot."

He huffed and the hint of a smirk appeared on his face.

"That new sheriff was pretty upfront.", he started.

"He wanted to make himself important.", you shrugged. "He sure knows how to upset people."

"Right. And upset people don't think straight."

One of your eyebrows raised.

"Go on."

"He wants to get under yours skin. Easiest manipulation tactic there is. He knows you're friendly with the local tribe, it's probably an open secret downtown."

"Probably.", you agreed. "So what are you saying?"

Charles took a moment to think.

"He wants you to react. He's expecting that you'll go and warn the tribe.", he said, eyes locked with yours.

Now something in the back of your brain clicked. Wrinkles appeared on your forehead as your expression fell so dark it could have melted into the night.

"He doesn't know where exactly the tribe is. He's just assuming. So he needs someone to confirm their location.", you thought out loud. "I'm supposed to lead him straight into the camp."

Charles' expression was now just as gloomy as yours.

"That's what I've been thinking.", he did a gesture, one hand on his hip to stand in a way that allowed you to slip off your horse. "Do you have any other way of communication?"

You sighed.

"Afraid not. The tribe wants to stay as close to their roots as possible. They tolerate me and I don't disrespect them."

"That's... not ideal.", thinking, he rubbed his chin.

You noticed that over the past few days he had grown some stubbles. When you had found him he had been shaven clean. Now he looked more rough around the edges.

Although that did not take away from this gentleness that he had to him.

"Obviously I won't be getting out of here. They're on the lookout for me.", you muttered.

"Probably."

"There's a spot, deep down in the forest. Aponi likes to go there often. Maybe we're lucky.", you looked at him. "If I explain the way to you, you think you'd find it?"

"It might be worth a shot."

"It's not like we've got another option..."