Chapter 4

"Ah, Liza Prewett!"

Liza grimaced as Slughorn toddled over to her table, his mustache quivering with anticipation. The head of Slytherin had been only too delighted when the sister of the "brilliant" Prewett twins had been sorted into his house. Never mind that her brothers broke hundreds of Hogwarts' rules a day. Slughorn still found them amusing.

"Hello, Professor," she turned back to the ingredients she had sorted beside her cauldron. Today, they were making a Polyjuice potion. Or at least starting it. The strenuous brew took a month to complete. She normally worked by herself, as this class was largely a mix Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs and she had barely exchanged more than a "hello" with any of them.

"And how are those brothers of yours?" Slughorn chortled, resting his hands on his stomach as the tassel of his odd cap swung into his face. His wardrobe was nearly as bizarre as Dumbledore's. It was an odd cross between posh British and Scottish Highlander. "Decided not to take my NEWT class, I see."

Liza smiled, although she was sure it looked pained. Gideon and Fabian had told her in no uncertain terms that they had no intention of "another year sweating over a pot for a batty tosser."

"They had a busy schedule, sir," she hoped her tone sounded polite enough. If there was one thing Liza hadn't yet picked up from Slytherins it was the ability to lie through her teeth. She just didn't have the energy to muster.

"Ah, what a disappointment!" Slughorn's mustache did seem to shake with outrage as he gestured out with his arm, blocking the sunlight Liza needed to cut her lacewing fly. Light was seldom provided in the dungeons and her eyes were strained from bending beside her burner. "In that case, I do hope you'll be joining my little club. I am rather selective, you know." He leaned closer over Liza's cauldron.

Liza hesitated. She had heard plenty of the rumors pertaining to "Sluggy Club" and its reputation for prideful purebloods and massive swots. Then again, she supposed she could blend into either category. And it would be interesting to observe some of Hogwarts' "finest." "It would be an honor, professor."

Slughorn beamed. "Excellent, m'dear! I will see you tomorrow night. Eight o'clock sharp!" He turned away back towards the chalkboard in the front of the room, which was still writing a series of instructions on its own accord. The looped cursive was nearly impossible to read even from Liza's desk at the front of the chamber. It was likely charmed to mimic the handwriting of the Potions professor himself.

"Kiss arse."

Gritting her teeth, Liza didn't bother to turn around at the gravelly tone. It was irritatingly recognizable. "No one likes an eavesdropper, Black."

She felt a slight thud against her robes as a bit of boomslang skin slid off her shoulder. The slimy remnants would take several charms to erase.

"Sluggy was bragging about you loud enough for the whole room. It was hardly a private conversation. Besides," there was a squeak as Sirius leaned forward and she felt his breath graze her neck. It was remarkable he could close the distance between their desks, "you probably enjoyed everyone hearing your praises."

Liza took the bait. She whipped around, her knife gripped tightly between her fingers as she pointed it in the boy's direction. He had his dark hair pulled back into a loose bun at the nape of his neck and Liza realized with a jolt of disgust that it mirrored her own. She sent herself a reminder to undo the loop at her earliest convenience. Merlin, did the boy even have to claim women's fashion for his own?

"Look, I don't know why you have a sudden problem with me, but let's go back to the part where you've ignored me for five years, alright?"

Sirius quirked an eyebrow. "Prewett, does it bother you that I haven't given you more attention? I assure you," he let his gaze dip towards her chest purposely, "I can change that."

Clutching at her robes, Liza tried to cover her neckline. Not that she had much to hide. "Shove off, Black." She desperately hoped her cheeks weren't flushed. When it came to embarrassment, Liza wore it clearly on her skin.

Barking loudly, Sirius leaned back in his stool as the legs tipped off the ground. Liza ruefully hoped he'd fall on his arse. "Normally, I don't resort to ickle snakes, but for you I suppose I—"

"You shagged Florence Peters right before vacation." The words were out of Liza's lips before she could stop them. She slammed the blade of her knife down at the sudden silence. Just great.

A smirk played at the edges of the eldest Black's lips. He resembled a cat that had just been delivered a pitcher of cream. "So, you've been stalking me, have you?"

Liza sent a desperate look at Remus, who had the misfortune of being partnered with the git. But the brunette boy only offered her a sympathetic grimace. "Word travels," she grunted before turning back to her cauldron.

"Prewett fancie—"

"Mr. Black?"

Liza stifled a snort as Slughorn passed between their tables, the opulent train of his plaid cloak trailing behind him. It was enough of an interruption that she could return to her work.

"Yes, professor?" Sirius looked up, his silver gaze wide with innocence. Unfortunately, his expression was rather convincing.

"I would really prefer that you don't distract my... brighter students," the man looked down at him disapprovingly and Liza winced. There was no mistaking the thinly veiled barb. Slughorn was overall a decent professor, but he bore no shame when it came to holding favourites.

A hint of anger flashed over Sirius's brow, but it was gone before Slughorn could detect it. Instead, he folded his hands behind his head with ease. The column behind him was just wide enough to bear his weight. "I was admiring Prew—Liza's work, professor. She brews potions so..." he let his voice trail off, "passionately."

Liza's cheeks burned as she turned her attention back to her lacewing flies, stabbing them with vengeance. The delicate wingspans were marred beneath the pressure. She would need to redo this portion. Blighter. Wanker. Git

"..in that case," Slughorn continued, oblivious of Liza's mental rampage. "Why don't I partner the pair of you together?" She froze, her blade hanging midair. Surely Slughorn wouldn't be oblivious enough to follow through on his threat. "I daresay Mr. Lupin deserves a break."

Liza immediately shook her head and shot the Potion's master a pleading glance. With Sirius at her side, it was certain that she would accomplish nothing. "Professor, I—"

"Thank you, Professor," Sirius grinned as he piled together his stack of textbooks, which looked like they hadn't been cracked open once. The topmost text was still encased in plastic wrapping. "I look forward to learning from Liza."

As the Gryffindor settled in beside her, Liza held her breath against the pungent wave of aftershave that greeted her nostrils. Just another bloody distraction to her already frazzled demeanor. "I thought you didn't work with snakes?"

Sirius flicked a stray insect wing off the top of their desk, his expression haughty as it fluttered to the ground. He hadn't even bothered to bring some of his prep from Remus's table. "Only when I can influence their grade."

A wave of horror panic tightened Liza's chest as she removed her gaze from the cutting board, "don't you—"

"Ah, Ms. Prewett?" Slughorn was back and Liza fantasied cutting off his bushy moustache, which bristled with his indignation. Beyond him, some of the Hufflepuffs had turned to observation their altercation with amusement. Trust the Marauders to bring a welcome class break. "I am sorry to put you in such a position but consider this a tutoring opportunity. Black alone will receive the grade for this assignment."

The gleeful smirk on Sirius's face became nonexistent. Liza beamed. "Certainly, professor."