Chapter 12

"What is it, Pete?" Sirius tilted his head from where he had been examining the cast on Remus's arm. Guilt had gnawed at his stomach ever since he had bitten his friend in dog-form. He reckoned the tang of iron still stained his tongue. But the werewolf within Remus had been about to claw James and he had little choice but to retaliate.

The Gryffindor swung back his head, several strands of blonde hair falling into his eyes as his cheeks flushed a deep red. 

"N..nothing!"

Sirius bit back an irritated growl. It was slightly disturbing how quickly his reactions had begun to resemble those of his canine counterpart. But Peter was a terrible liar and after the night they had had, his patience was breaking. "Spit it out."

Peter fiddled with his thumbs before casting another fearful look at Remus. He had nearly been trampled during Remus's transformation and Sirius could tell James was worried the already nervous boy would never get over it. The last thing they needed was another reason for Remus to disappear into a pit of self-loathing.

"I just—just saw Liza leave. Think she was listening."

A stab of alarm constricted Sirius's chest as he exchanged a panicked look with James, who pushed himself away from Remus's side.

"How much did she hear?" his hazel gaze was deadly solemn. His figure loomed over Remus's drowsing position like a sentinel.

"I..I don't think much," Peter stammered, scooting his chair back from where James pressed forward in front of him. "Didn't see her until just a minute ago.

James cursed under his breath and Sirius let out a low sigh, running his fingers through his matted hair and wrinkling his nose at the sour smell. Why the Prewett girl seemed to follow him like a curse, he still couldn't figure out. But after what she had done last night, he had begun to wonder if he had judged her too harshly.

Still, Remus's anonymity preceded protecting the Slytherin's feelings.

"I can handle it." He puffed another breath out of his lips as Remus stirred, mumbling something incoherent in his sleep. Pomfrey had warned them that the boy would probably be out the rest of the day. Sirius's nerves were already ragged. If he sat around doing nothing much longer, he was going to explode.

To his annoyance, James raised a skeptical eyebrow as he crossed his arms over his chest, leaning back against the post of the bed. "Are you sure? This is Moony's secret we're talking about, and you and Prewett seem to have," he paused, his nose scrunching in revolt, "something going on."

"Don't be an idiot." Sirius rolled his eyes as he sprang from his chair, nimbly darting over Peter's outstretched legs. Not that his short limbs posed much of a barrier. If Sirius didn't know better, he would have wagered his mate was part dwarf. Glancing back at James, Sirius tried to hide the hurt from his tone. "Anyways, I would put my brothers before anything."

James's expression softened as he tilted his chin, casting Remus a concerned look. "Sorry, Pads, I know." He ran another hand through his dark hair. At this rate, James would suffer premature hair loss. Not that he ever heeded Sirius's warnings.

Sirius grimaced, pausing before the door as he offered a small grin. When James was in this state of concern, it was difficult to be upset. The bloke was far more of a mother than his own had been. "Rough night, wasn't it?"

A slight pause hung between them before James managed a shrug in return, accepting Sirius's olive branch. "Rough night, mate."

---

Liza crossed the courtyard, eager to find an empty bench on which to collect her thoughts. She bit back a groan of frustration as black cloaks hovered on nearly every seat. Sitting directly next to a student without invitation went against the unspoken code. Unless you wanted to be treated like an intruder.

Deciding that the towering cottonwood in the corner of the square was as good a place as any, Liza ducked under the trailing branches before she plopped down on the grass. A long sigh deflated her lungs.

Another thing she appreciated about magic: it preserved nature, no matter the time of year. It was nearly Halloween and yet the leaves of the tree were still round and bright green. She took another breath of the rich soil.

What had happened to Remus?

Liza fiddled with the end of a ginger curl, brushing the jagged end across her chin. She had noticed something off with Sirius the night of detention, but she had never suspected the Marauders were in actual danger. The worst she had seen to befall the boys were the warts James had sported after a particularly nasty encounter with Malfoy two years ago. And those had been far more comical than concerning.

"You know, this is one of the optimum spots for a snogging session."

Sitting up immediately, Liza groaned as Sirius swaggered through the swinging branches, disrupting their peaceful canopy. However, his usual effortless appearance was marred by the dark circles beneath his eyes. He favored his right leg over his left, hinting at an injury.

"However, considering your state of prudishness," the Gryffindor smirked, exposing his cracked lips, "I daresay I'm not interrupting anything."

Any sympathy Liza had previously garnered for the boy immediately dissipated, leaving her with a fierce scowl. At this rate, she was going to have permanent wrinkles on her forehead. "Always a pleasure, Black. Now, if you don't mind," she waved an arm back to the courtyard, "I'd like a bit of privacy."

Sirius seemed unbothered as he leaned against the grey bark of the tree, crossing his arms over his chest. Liza frowned as her gaze caught on the purple shade of a bruise on his chest and Sirius noticed her attention immediately, tugging up his collar.

"Merlin's beard, you're a snoop, aren't you?" his silver gaze darkened.

Gritting her teeth, Liza clenched her eyes as she drew in a hissed breath to rally her patience. She turned to face Sirius with as open an expression as she could muster. "Listen, I wasn't trying to spy on your little band of maniacs. Whatever I saw, I don't understand, and I'll keep my mouth shut. But you do owe me something for covering for you last night." She quirked up her eyebrow in emphasis.

Sirius opened his mouth to argue before he realized the sensibility of her words. His stance deflated and exhaustion set into his bones. "Guess I do." His brow narrowed. "But speak a word of what you stuck your nose in, and I'll make the rest of your years here misery."

Liza snorted and pulled a journal from her bag along with a sugar quill, which she twirled in her hand. "Hate to break it to you, but you're the last on a long list of people who aren't fond of me."

"Right," Sirius rolled his eyes as he turned away, the morning sunlight making the white fabric of his shirt nearly translucent. Liza immediately averted her gaze. "Poor Prewett. I think you can find plenty of support amongst your house if you're willing to stoop low enough. Not to mention, your brothers practically run the castle."

The bubble of frustration Liza had been trying to subdue popped inside her chest. "Yes, because they're so supportive."

She glared up at Sirius, who had craned his neck back towards her while she gathered her things back into her bag. The cottonwood no longer seemed so inviting.

"You haven't the faintest idea of what it's like to be a Slytherin. Half my house would kill me if it meant saving their own arse and the other half wouldn't lift a finger to stop them." Liza's hands quivered as she hung onto her strap, centimeters away from Sirius's face. "Then the rest of you act like we're a bunch of evil gits, when there are quite a number of us just trying to keep our heads above the water." She turned away with a final jerk of her head. "Not all of us can run away to Gryffindor's golden boy."

It was a cheap shot and Liza regretted the words the instant they left her mouth. But she forced herself to stalk onwards, wincing as the branches of the tree scraped the edge of her face. She had had enough of Sirius Black and his barbed accusations.