Chapter 40

"I cannot believe you're going to another lion bash."

Myra glanced up from where she was busy scribbling a last-minute Astronomy chart. Between Liza and Regulus, Myra had always been the more creative of the three.

"It's Sir—Black's birthday." Liza shrugged as she observed the crimson midriff that she had layered over her bell-bottoms. She had charmed them to hug all the right places. "If I don't go, I'm afraid the Marauders will never speak to me again."

"And since when has that kept you up at night?"

Liza narrowly avoided Myra's raised brow. The all-knowing expression was easy to read on her friend's features.

"Come on, Liza. We're Slytherins. Only well-played lies become us." She set aside her quill, careful not to let the ink stain her fingertips.

Burying her face in her robes, Liza tried not to untangle the curls she had set so carefully. "I may have snogged Sirius Black. More than once."

The answering silence was enough to build knots in her stomach. Eventually, Liza worked up the courage to peek her head above the fabric.

She had never seen Myra's grin so diabolical.

"Lils owes me five gallons."

Shaking her head, Liza tried not to think about how her attraction to Sirius had been so obvious. She could only hope that Myra was one of the few who had been observant enough to notice.

"What do I owe you?"

The entrance of a head of fiery hair preluded Lily's face as she poked her head around the door frame. A sapphire-coloured jumper that Lize distinctly remembered from Myra's closet clad her figure.

Myra instantly straightened from her place on the mattress and ran a self-conscious hand over her hair. "Lily! You shouldn't be down here."

The Gryffindor smiled innocently, her emerald eyes sparking with warmth. "I have it on good authority that your dormmates are down in Hogsmeade at an illicit bar." At Liza's questioning glance, Lily winked. "Why do you think I keep Marlene around?"

Pursing her lips, Liza smudged a bit of crimson lipstick on. The muggle tube was faded from age. Not that she typically had the motivation to use it. "Your friend scares me."

"McKinnon?" Myra snorted as she and Lily exchanged a mysterious look. "She's all bark and no bite. Merlin, Liz, you've been friends with Slytherins for seven years."

"And I know that if you have something to say, it'll be to my face and not my back."

Sending the couple a last wave, Liza disappeared down the stairs and into the common room. As Lily had predicted, it was utterly devoid of her housemates. She assumed Rosier had managed to worm his way into the seedy pub at the back of Hogsmeade. The glasses there were so filthy, Liza doubted alcohol could sanitize them.

It was a quick trip to the Gryffindor tower, a route that Liza had become exceedingly comfortable with. The portraits seemed to be in a particularly merry mood. Several gathered within the confines of a single frame, chattering cheerfully with flasks of mead. Not for the first time, Liza wondered if they could taste at all. Or perhaps it was the thought that mattered more.

Giving a nod to the Fat Lady, Liza mumbled a quick "Padfoot" before stepping into the crowded tunnel. True to fashion, Sirius had spared no expense or extravagance. Even the password had been tailored to reflect his birthdate.

She pushed past a pair of tipsy Hufflepuffs, her stomach curdling at the sharp smell of gin. It was the one drink she had always hated, as Fabian and Gideon had tricked her into chugging it as a child. Molly had nearly wrung both their necks.