Chapter 16

"Alright there, Prewett?"

Liza glanced up to see Lucinda Talkalot observing her with a shrewd expression and she tugged her hair back into a tighter braid. "Yeah, thanks. Just got a lot on my mind."

Regulus had been in a foul mood ever since he had returned from the Death Eater meeting on Halloween with a limp evident in his right leg. Whatever he had endured, neither Myra nor Liza could pry the details, but he had been forced to sit out Quidditch practice. Today would be his first day back on the field in weeks, but the team couldn't afford to lose his skill.

"Best forget about it," Lucinda's tone was clipped, but not unkind. Liza got the feeling the captain liked having more females on the team. It hadn't been many years since Slytherin's ranks had only been available to the male population. "We need your head on the field."

Liza gave a short nod, trying not to think about the nerves that shook her fingertips as she passed her broomstick from one hand to another. The November weather sent goosebumps to her arms, pricking her skin with tiny drops of rain.

She watched as Lucinda mounted her broom, soaring into the storm to shake hands with James Potter. The game would not be easy. Gryffindor's offense had by far been playing the best in the castle. Liza pressed her lips in a solid line. Potter would never give up his quest for glory.

"Alright there, Prewett?"

This time, the question was barbed with a nasty tone and Liza gritted her teeth, attempting to diffuse the pressure that roiled through her chest. "Brilliant before you arrived, Rosier."

Evan smirked, although the gesture was more of a snarl. His white teeth glimmered in the light streaming over the field. "Just thought I would send my regards. Might be your last chance on a broom."

Curling her gloved fingers around the handle, Liza bared her teeth in the semblance of a grin. The ribbons at the end of her braid fluttered against her cheek. "I'm one of two female players on the Team. I don't feel too worried. Besides," she lifted her shoulders in a casual motion that would only irk the boy more. "I'm only a sub, after all."

As she hoped, Evan muttered a series of dark curses under his breath. The whole team knew that Oliver Connelly would be out for the year. He had crashed into the middle of the pitch after a late-night drinking run with his mates. Liza would have felt sympathy if he hadn't been such an utter prat.

"Let's just hope that you fall off your broom and end our suffering."

"And who would you choose to replace me?" Liza mounted her broom, her arms shaking beneath her jumper as Hooch raised her whistle to her lips.

Evan's response was lost as the whistle pierced the air and the team jetted into the sky. Liza leaned forward and focused her gaze on the other end of the pitch, where Sirius and James were amid a completely unnecessary series of passes.

Sirius blew a kiss as he spiraled on his broom, letting the Quaffle funnel into the arms of the waiting James. His partner dove, feigning as though he missed before rocketing into the air with the crimson ball securely in his hands. The Gryffindor stands erupted.

As James raised his arms above his head to absorb the cheers, Liza swooped down and punched the Quaffle from between his palms. The ball plummeted into the hands of Talkalot, who wasted no time spinning around to thrust it into the middle hoop.

"TEN POINTS FOR SLYTHERIN!"

A series of silver and emerald flags proudly shone in the waning rays of the sun. James gaped up at Liza, who barely had time to shoot him a grin before she shot to the other side of the pitch.