Chapter 11

"Miss Prewett, did you bring a quill?"

Liza sighed as she stepped into McGonagall's classroom, the torchlight above dim and elongating shadows of the abandoned desks. The professor's neat space was a stark contrast to the rest of the chamber. A wide assortment of rubbish littered the floor and several pieces of Drooble's were stuck to the tops of the wood. Some prat had been creative enough to arrange the chewed bits into a heart.

Liza had no doubt the head of Gryffindor would make her pry off every piece. It was going to be a long night.

"Yes, professor," she managed a grim smile as she pulled her eagle feather from its pocket in her bag. It was not often that she served detention, but she usually brought most of her school things with her. Slughorn usually opted for small talk over the usual punishment. "Lines today?"

A plaid nightcap was tucked over McGonagall's head, which Liza found rather amusing. It wasn't even nine o'clock. Still, not a hair of her grey-streaked bun was out of place as the woman gave a curt nod.

"But we will have one other student joining us, so you may as well wait—"

The doors to the Transfiguration classroom burst open, slamming into the stone walls with a large bang. Liza was nearly trampled by the intruder as they hurtled towards her back. She stepped out of the way just as Sirius sprinted by, his hair flying behind him in a dark wave. One of his shoes was missing and his toe poked through the hole in his left sock.

"Min, I've got to cancel our date tonight." Sirius's tone was flirtatious, but the tension in his shoulder blades hinted at his concern. "Reschedule at my place tomorrow?"

Looking utterly unimpressed by his pleading pout, McGonagall pressed her lips into an invisible line. Liza's opinion of the professor increased by a few points. "Mr. Black, I already informed you that tonight would be your final chance. Professor Flitwick informs me that you skived his detentions all last week. Unless you want to face suspension," she peered down over her rectangular spectacles, "I would advise you sit down and start cleaning."

Opening his mouth to argue further, Sirius abruptly shut his jaw at the steely glint in her gaze. He sighed. "Yes, Minnie." A glance to his right made him finally notice Liza, who was already beginning to scrawl out her first line. His cheeks flushed with indignation. "How come she's only got to write?"

Professor McGonagall waved her wand and sent the last few folders on her desk into a cabinet. The parchment landing neatly in a thin stack before the drawer swung shut. "Because you were the one who started those disgusting rumors in the first place, Black." Her nostrils flared. "Surely you were taught better than to defile a lady's reputation?"

"Well, you see, mumsie never got around to those sorts of lessons." Sirius flashed a grin, his teeth a bright white. "Too busy chasing me with the fire poker."

Liza raised a skeptical brow, but the Gryffindor's tone remained brusquely casual. McGonagall rubbed at her temples. The strain of a long day was evident in her tight grimace. The professor was like a rubberband moments from snapping.

"Just do the work, Black." She turned back to a small wooden door positioned at the back of the classroom. The cherrywood was tucked into the shadow of a small staircase. "I'll be in my office if you find you're incapable of the task."

Sirius perked up. "Does that mean—"

"Where I have several cabinets of school records for you to sort." McGonagall slammed the door shut, sending a hard bang resounding about the chamber. Each slab of granite vibrated with her irritation.

There was a long pause before Sirius's shoulders sank. He turned back to Liza, who immediately leaned back over her parchment and pretended she hadn't been listening. She was already several lines into her task.