Chapter 24

"For the LAST time," Liza threw her hands up in the air, beginning to understand a bit more of what it was like to be Lily Evans. "I am NOT dining with you."

James pouted and he stopped to remove his glasses, wiping a fake tear. "Rejection stings, doesn't it, Pads?"

"Hmm?" Sirius glanced over absently. "Sure."

Following his gaze, Liza let out an exasperated grunt. Theodora Warden, seventh-year Hufflepuff, was proudly showing off her new pair of trousers. Entirely muggle in fashion, the denim hugged her waist at all the right places.

Liza reached over and smacked Sirius upside the head. The Marauder gave a growl before rubbing his sore temple. "Do you think you have the right to ogle every living thing that passes by?"

"Now, there you have it, Prewett," Sirius rebounded quickly with a wide grin. "Normally I'm given permission."

"Bloody hell." Liza was at her wits end. She turned to James, but the Gryffindor was off staring at his table. Sure enough, Lily Evans sat between Alice and Marlene. Her nose scrunched up in a giggle as she popped a bit of orange into her mouth.

James sighed. "She even looks beautiful eating."

Throwing an arm around his mate's shoulder, Sirius sent Liza a conspiratorial glance. "Prongs has been a bit upset lately. Lily hasn't been around the common room much. Afraid he's been abandoned."

"Well, I'm sure he'll manage." Liza sent the bespectacled boy a pointed look. "You do realize that there's a whole world of women at your disposal? Be glad you're not a pureblood and sentenced to live with a hag for life." The words were out before she remembered Sirius's upbringing. Liza winced. "I only—"

"It's true," Sirius shrugged, appeared entirely unbothered. A shadow of stubble lined his chin that emphasized his jaw line. "Try having Bellatrix. Only reason she got hitched was because of betrothal tradition."

Liza shuddered at the thought of Rodolphus Lestrange. "Or they're both a pair of creepy gits." She speared a bit of pear into her mouth. Even Regulus was relieved when the pair graduated.

Sirius shot her an approving grin. "The Black Manor looks much like a mental asylum these days."

"Oi!" James glanced between them irritably. "If you're going to flirt, at least don't do it in front of me. I'm a suffering lad, you know."

Shoving the last bit of notes from Charms into her pocket, Liza rolled her eyes. "We were discussing his mental family. That's not a particularly arousing topic." Her cheeks flushed at her choice of words.

Sirius grinned. "I don't know." He leaned closer to Liza so that his breath stirred the hair covering her ear. "Some people really get into the darker side of things."

At this, James promptly strutted away, muttering under his breath.

"Now look what you've done," Liza watched as the Marauder took a seat beside Remus and Peter. Both were deeply invested in a game of cards.

"You know it's Cupid's Day tomorrow?"

Sirius's question caught her off guard. Liza swallowed before peering back to look at the Gryffindor's blank expression. "And?" she refused to let herself be ruffled by the boy's suggestive intentions. If she acted the fool, she had only herself to blame.

"I'm trying to decide who to ask." Sirius scanned the Great Hall with an appraising look. "Mary Owens in Ravenclaw has already offered, but she's one of the Puddifoot's girls." He grimaced. "Don't think I can bear through another one of those. And then there's Dorcas Meadows," his gaze fell on the dark-haired girl at the Gryffindor table. "But then Marlene would be rather ticked."