Chapter 46

NOTE: A SHORT DEPICTION OF SMUT AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER. For my younger readers, please skip ahead after Liza and Sirius enter the Room of Requirement. I promise you aren't missing anything integral to the story!

"Who should I ask out for Valentine's?"

The surrounding group stared up from their textbooks at a rueful James. The Gryffindor looked particularly dashing in a button-down shirt and combed hair.

"Hold on." Liza stared at the Marauder. "You're not actually over Evans?"

Sirius let out a noise of agreement beside her. To his left, Remus continued gazing at James blankly.

"It's not April Fool's." The werewolf grimaced and his facial scars shifted with the movement. "Do I need to show you how to use a calendar again?"

Looking appropriately offended, James shook his head at the four that surrounded him. Even Peter had yet to take the Sugar Quill from his mouth.

"You've gone and killed Wormtail." Waving a hand in front of the boy's face, Sirius clutched his shoulders protectively. "If this is a joke, Prongs, you've ruined our fair friend. His mind may never be the same—"

"Oh, come off it." There was a soft thud as James aimed a cushion at Sirius's head. The tartan square successfully made contact. "You've been telling me it's time to move on."

Remus raised a dry brow. "Yes. And we've been saying that since first year. Never stopped you before." The quill in his hand dripped a blot of ink into the center of his parchment. Liza decided not to alert him. Remus was rather terrifying with NEWTs on the horizon.

"Well, I'm tired of never celebrating Valentine's! You and Wormy always stay in the tower," James jerked his head towards the dormitories, "and my boyfriend won't agree to an open relationship." His hazel glare centered on Liza. "Thanks a lot, Prewett. You and your old-fashioned belief in exclusivity."

Rolling their eyes in unison, Sirius and Liza shot each other an amused grin.

"Potter, of all of us, you're the one that's a hopeless romantic." She toyed with a longer strand of Sirius's hair, lacing it into a thin braid. "Wife and baby and white-picket fence."

Sirius stuck out a disgusted tongue. "Domesticity."

Privately agreeing with her boyfriend, Liza turned back towards James. The bespectacled boy was fidgeting with his wand. Clearly, he was in need of their attention.

"So, who are you asking?"

"I'm glad you asked!"

Remus and Peter both sent Liza exasperated looks. She had evidently opened an unwanted box.

Beaming, James pulled a scroll from the front pocket of his shirt. "I have carefully created a ranked and colour-coordinated list on the finest female specimen at Hogwarts." He winked roguishly, "and I deserve the best."

Sirius stared up at his best mate in concern. "Mate you're starting to sound like me."

"Which, I might add, is not a compliment." Pressing a consoling kiss to Sirius's cheek, Liza reached for the list. "Let us see the poor souls."

James ducked back from her reach. His eyes blazed in alarm as he nearly toppled onto the sofa set behind him. "No! They'll try to ruin me." He gestured towards Remus, Sirius, and Peter.

"I don't care in the slightest." Remus flicked open a Herbology journal and started to copy down a diagram. "Just stay out of the common room."

Rather mollified at his short response, James offered Sirius a last salute. "It is time I become a man, my friend. Liza," he waved a dismissive hand in her direction, "just bring Padfoot home before it gets dark."