Chapter 14

"What's all the fuss about?" Myra wrinkled her nose as she looked up from the needle she had recently transfigured. Today, her braids were twisted back into a thick plait that swung heavily over her shoulders. "If I hear one more giggle, I'll—"

Liza grinned, flicking her wand and causing her needle to hover in the air, twisting in a series of cartwheels. "It's the ball, my dear. It sets the hearts of females everywhere a pounding."

"Is Halloween that soon?" Myra's eyes widened briefly before she ducked her head, pretending to still be working on their task as McGonagall passed by. The girl hated any sort of attention, even praise from the professors. On more than one occasion, she had feigned difficulty to be left alone.

Liza paused her needle, eyeing the back of Rosier's head a few rows in front of her. Maybe if she angled the sharp point just right..

"Liza, what in Merlin's name are you looking at?"

She flinched to see Myra gazing at her with a suspicious expression, her brow crinkled.

"Nothing," she pressed her lips into what she hoped looked like an innocent smile as she let the needle drop back to the desk. It was an unfortunate missed opportunity.

Myra rolled her dark eyes, scooting back her chair gently as she walked to the end of the classroom. "Liza, you're only asking for trouble."

"He started it!" Liza broke herself off as she realized how childish her shrill retort sounded. "He's constantly threatening me, My. I think a prick or two would serve him right."

"And I don't understand how five years in Slytherin hasn't taught you not to make enemies of the wrong people." Myra didn't bother to slow for Liza as she lugged her bookbag behind her. Myra was the sort of naturally gifted type that didn't need to crack open a book. It certainly lightened her pace. "We're not children anymore, Liza. And the world just keeps getting darker."

They both sobered at the thought of the front page of the Daily Prophet this morning. There had been another attack, this time on a Muggle department store. The death toll of Voldemort's rage just seemed to keep rising.

"Oi, baby P!"

Liza turned around just in time to receive a heavy object thrown straight at her chest. "Wh—" she nearly let out a squeal as her gaze met the scarlet, unblinking orbs of Mrs. Norris.

Filch was going to kill her.

"WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE?" Sirius jerked his head as he continued to run past them with James hot on his heels. "RUN!"

Liza took off sprinting in the opposite direction, having absolutely no idea what was going on, but knowing that she had to put as much distance between her and the Hogwarts's caretaker as possible.

"YOU'LL PAY FOR—"

She lost the rest of Filch's statement as she darted onto the stairs that led up to the third floor, making sure to jump over the trick step. Liza had gotten stuck one too many times. Thankfully, the banister began to move right as her feet hit the floor, making it much more difficult for Filch to follow. Tucking the cat beneath her arm, Liza wondered what in Merlin's name the Marauders had done to the awful beast. The moment the staircase connected with the next landing, she took the ladder to the Transfiguration classroom two rungs at a time.

The classroom was eerily empty, silent outside of the ticking of several clocks inlaid on the farthest wall. Liza placed the body of the cat on top of one of the circular tables positioned throughout the staged steps, standing back as she placed a tentative hand on the soft fur. It looked like a rather simple petrification charm, but knowing Potter, it was something far nastier. Although the cat was a creature to be avoided, she still felt a stab of sympathy. Liza was all too familiar with being the victim of the Marauder's laughs.