Chapter Two: "Malakai"

*There was a time above, a time before.
There were perfect things, diamond absolutes.
Things fall, things on Earth, and what falls is Fallen.
In the Dream they took me to the Light, a beautiful lie*

Name's Malakai Addam, I was born in New York, in Hell's kitchen, father's absent, mother's a drunk, she comes home wasted with many different men she meets at bars and clubs every night, I practically raised myself, taught myself how to cook even though I always end up burning the food and at times nearly burned the house down. Mother would be upset, she would use a wire hanger as a disciplining tool, anger built within me, I began to see she does not love me, as does my father who never visits me, but at the time I had not known that. I was five years old, mother took me to park, I was playing on the monkey bars swinging back and forth trying to get mother's attention, but she was busy flirting with another parent who brought his own kid to the park, I climbed down the monkey bars and thought it a good idea to climb a tree, I was a fan of Tarzan by the way. I stood up straight, no longer holding on to keep my balance and began to arch my back ready to scream like the fictional character from the TV who swung through trees, walked on all fours, practically naked and spoke to animals, that's when I lost my balance, descending toward the Earth, bracing for an inevitable impact that would surely hurt like a motherfucker, but that never came. I open my eyes to see, I had stopped falling, I looked around and discovered I was in midair, I wiggled my fingers and then looked at my toes, I could not believe it, I was flying, I looked up to call to mother but she was not there, I scan around in search of her, she and the man had gone, I fell to the floor, the impact not hurtful, I get up and dust my clothes, I walked to where mother had sat and waited, the park was getting empty, few people were left, the man mother was flirting with had returned, but no mother, he took his kid and left apologizing for leaving her for so long, careless he was, especially with kids being abducted by sick fucks these days.

The park finally was empty, I sat alone on the wooden bench as mother did not return still, I opted to return home on my own, walking the streets of New York, passing by the corners of the ladies of the night wearing short dresses, whores, prostitutes or whatever term preferred, waiting to be picked up by horny bastards. I arrived home and reached for the door nob, I twist and pushed but the door would not budge, what is wrong with this damn door? I knock and bang on the door out of frustration, I took a few steps back and looked up seeing the window to my room was open, I remembered that I could fly, I smile, I try to fly but was not successful in the attempt, I did not give up so easily as I kept trying till I was successful and slowly levitated upward, reaching for the open window I held on and pulled myself inside, I fell hard but was okay  I looked through the house and found her, mother, sleeping on her bed, snoring, I walked over and she reeks of alcohol, my heart broke, I sat down on the couch and watched Tarzan, but Tarzan bored me, I could fly now so I watched a new favourite thing, Superman animated series.

Night came, I was hungry, I got up and went to wake mother, I shook her a few times but she did not wake, she was no longer snoring, I called her name, she did not answer, I shook her once again and once again she did not wake, I stopped and listened, I learned she was no longer breathing, mother was gone, how? I did not understand. I picked up a phone and called the police. They arrived and took mother away, father was called  he was told what killed mother, alcohol poisoning was her undoing, father was stuck with me I could tell he did not want to take me home with him, he had no choice. At father's big  mansion on the country side of America I meet his new family, his wife, and his daughter they welcomed me with warm smiles and tight embraces, a few weeks later their true colours showed, I do not know what had changed as I thought I was loved, all of a sudden I was mistreated, accused of stealing food and money from purses, I was locked in a cold dark basement and left there for days, with everything wrong I got the blame, I had had enough, if father would not protect me then I would protect myself, after all I could fly, what else could I do? I practiced flying whenever no one was around or watching, I kept failing and kept trying till I got it right. Over the next few weeks I was good at it and could fly at Mach speed, breaking sound barriers, I lived in interesting times, I was a goddamn superhero now.

One night I was watching TV and I heard my father's wife shout my name, I wonder what I had done now, she came marching downstairs and switched the TV off and looked at me showing me her broken diamond necklace, she said I broke it when in fact it was her daughter who was trying it out to look like her mother, when I told her she did not believe me, father would not stand up for me, weakling, I thought to myself. When I was told to go to the basement I refused, father spoke up now and told me to go to the basement, I refused again, when he tried to grab me I pulled my arm away, he looked at me in shock and grabbed his belt, I ran outside but he was too fast, he turns me around and was about to hit me when I shot up into the sky with him still holding my arm, he gripped it tight and I made him let go, we were too far up in the sky when father released me and fell to his death. A smirked creeped on me as I had an idea, I flew down and made sure I was seen by the woman and her daughter, I wanted them terrified of me, I flew through the house destroying it, when they came out running I flew straight at the woman and tackled her hard against the wall, the impact killed her, I looked at the daughter and flew to her, I picked her up and flew with her to the sky through the clouds, I took one last look at her terrified face and then released her, she free fell screaming all the way down. To cover my tracks I dragged their heavy bodies and made the gas leak, I lit a match and threw it into the house, I watched it explode and burn to crisp and ash, till there was nothing left, then.....I disappeared after.